1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

3" slicer grind???

Discussion in 'Rick Hinderer Knives' started by zmcangus, Apr 30, 2012.

1. zmcangus

zmcangus

Apr 12, 2012
    Does anyone know if the new gen 4 xm18 3 inchers will have the slicer grind?

2. Jan I

Jan I

Dec 4, 2011
    They are working on a batch of 3" XM-18 Slicers now. The 3" are not gen 4.

3. zmcangus

zmcangus

Apr 12, 2012
    thanks

4. Jan I

Jan I

Dec 4, 2011
    Here is an image from Rob Orlando of the first XM-18 3" Slicer assembled. You can see that the stop pin is still on the side.

[​IMG]

5. RDA

RDA

Aug 6, 2010
    All of the current production may be slicers and they may still be considered "Gen 2" I believe as there is no real change in this production run (the stop pin is still in the same location) other than being offered with the slicer grind rather than the spanto grind. As someone already provided, they look great, I definitely want to get my hands on one as I carry a 3" XM-18 every day.

6. snowreaper1

snowreaper1 Banned

Nov 26, 2010
    Wonder if there is going to be any noticeable change to the detent. Hows the flipping action on most 3 inch XM's?

7. Rob Orlando

Rob Orlando

Nov 16, 2009
    Nothing has changed at all, the 3" are the same as all past batches.

8. Rolex John

Rolex John Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Wow....really looking forward to one of these. Slicer would be my preference - I'm thinking non-flipper. I assume there are non-flippers in this production batch?

9. Need2Know

Need2Know

Aug 31, 2011
    That is what I believed as true.
    So much so, I pulled the trigger on blue Ti scale with absolutely no confirmation of any kind I will ever score a 3". Perhaps I'm nuts, but I like to think I'm just an optimist. Either way, this hunk of blue anodized, textured Ti is making one fine paperweight.

[​IMG]

10. FirNaTine

FirNaTine

Feb 11, 2011
    You assume correct as one should be on the way in the next few days...pics forthcoming.

11. 김원진

김원진

May 4, 2011
    when will production on these start? seems there was a really good deal on the exchange moments ago

12. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    Production is at Assembly phase as we speak, orders shipping this week or next.
    Suppose it is possible some have landed.

13. xtonesterx

xtonesterx

May 26, 2009
    i got a non flipping 3" slicer on the way :). cant wait!!!

im especially excited for this one as i have already had a 3" spanto flipper so this would be the complete opposite.

14. Usagee

Usagee Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Is Hinderer Knives progressively shipping the 3-inch folders to customers as they assemble them?

15. Rolex John

Rolex John Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 4, 2010
    I'm hearing they won't be shipping any out until after Blade Show next month....but maybe first responder folks are getting them right away? Hard to say.

16. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011

17. Jan I

Jan I

Dec 4, 2011
    Rubi, baby, I think you left out a lather. And a "]"

Dealer's web sites are going to get lots of reloads this week. ;)

18. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    I haven't Lathered, Rinse or Repeated since sometime mid-late last century.

19. Jan I

Jan I

Dec 4, 2011
    You don't mind if I call you Rubi baby, do you? Because you avatar looks so, "I got your baby right here".

And yea, looks like it forgot the lather but went heavy on the mousse. :thumbup:

20. zmcangus

zmcangus

Apr 12, 2012
    Thanks for all the responses guys...so the gen 4s are only in the 3.5 inchers?