1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

3V vs S35VN characteristics?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by xuli0009, Dec 3, 2011.

1. xuli0009

xuli0009

Nov 16, 2011
    I noticed in the Production Schedule thread that some upcoming knives are being made out of 3V and S35VN. Assuming that you had two (nearly) identical knives, one made from each steel,(e.g. ZT 0100 VS Chris Reeve Knives Green Beret Knife CPM S35-VN), what would you expect the performance difference to be? Is S35VN more corrosion resistant? (I notice it's being used in some kitchen knives later in the year.)

2. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    3V isn't stainless, S35VN is stainless. 3V will be tougher than S35VN.

as for "performance", it depends on what you will be doing with the knife.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  3. neuron

neuron Moderator Moderator

Apr 18, 2010
    ^^^This.

4. DrOpPoInT1110

DrOpPoInT1110

Jan 28, 2009
    +1 to what they said. For EDC uses, I think S35VN is great. 3V would be good for a much more hard use blade though.

5. michaelm466

michaelm466

Mar 5, 2009
    S35VN is a true stainless steel, though 3V isn't too bad for a carbon steel. 3V on of the toughest steels out there second only to S7 (maybe 5160) and about equal to INFI, S35VN will be an adequate toughness (S30V is used in many larger blades, and S35VN is suppose to be like 30% tougher, 3V would be like 300% more). As for edge holding, they should be pretty close, so really both have very good edge holding, its just do you want a more stain resistant steel or a tougher steel.

6. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    the two knives he gave examples for have different blade geometries and thicknesses, that has to also be taken into account. to really determine which knife will suit him best, we need to know what he plans on using it for.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  7. Popsickle

Popsickle Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2010
    s35vn is stainless and a bit tougher than s30v(only by a little bit....same with edge retention)
    3v is over twice as tough as M4 with edge retention over d2 and just under s30v

8. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    How is 3V in edge retention compared to S7 or M4? I'm noticing some knifemakers using 3V in choppers and knives with hard-use geometry lately.

9. The_Guide

The_Guide

Feb 1, 2009
    3V is almost as tough as S7, in exchange for increased wear resistance. Not sure how it compares to M4, I have never used it.

I love 3V on my hard use blades. It hold a great edge, and can take quite a bit of abuse before needing to be re-sharpened. My main outdoor knives are 3V (Fehrman Hoodhunter and Peacemaker) and I love how they perform.

10. xuli0009

xuli0009

Nov 16, 2011
    I am in favor of military life, so as a part of my hobby collection, a combat knife with strong survival, tool and self-defence functions attract me~~~

11. michaelm466

michaelm466

Mar 5, 2009
    S7 is pretty low in the edge retention category, yet the highest of regularly used steels in toughness, take a step down in toughness to 3V, but a sizable step up in edge holding, and same thing for M4, take another step down in toughness and step up in edge retention, while still tougher than most premium stainless steels.
    [​IMG]

12. CrimsonTideShooter

CrimsonTideShooter

Oct 23, 2010
    I beg to differ. I have tested various S30V knives, and also 2 S35VN knives. Same test.

S35VN doesn't hold a candle to S30V in terms of edge retention. It just doesn't hold it's edge, period. Even 154cm out performs S35VN. 19 other knives have done this test, and I would venture to say that ALL other steels that I have tested out performed s35VN. Yes, even 420hc stayed sharp longer than S35VN.

I have no problem with the steel, but I do feel like it is not ran as hard as it should be.

[video=youtube;z1oq7PzjJkY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1oq7PzjJkY[/video]

[video=youtube;q3nfCJtAcLI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3nfCJtAcLI[/video]

13. Ankerson

Ankerson Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    ^^

Yeah S35VN really isn't all that great IMO.

S30V is just a better steel.

I think they went too far the other way with S35VN, but as time goes on that will become very apparent.

I still believe S35VN is a mistake.

If they wanted a steel with 3% Vanadium they should have just used ELMAX as it is very stable and proven instead of gutting S30V.

Like I always say there are no free lunches with steels and with S35VN they took too much away from S30V without adding enough other alloys and they will figure that out hopefully before too long.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  14. jwolf90

jwolf90

Oct 17, 2011
    I really dont know what to think, but i'm thinking of canceling my sebbie in s35 thats on order

15. Ankerson

Nov 2, 2002
    S35VN rolls and flattens way too easy, it's really not that strong if you are cutting abrasive materials.

I have had exactly the same things happen as in the video and not just cutting rope either.

16. jill jackson

jill jackson Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2006
    You seemed to be impressed with it in this video.
    [video=youtube;RmgbgSlV2QI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmgbgSlV2QI[/video]

17. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Wow. Crimsontideshooter, Ankerson, thank you for the information. I had no idea S35VN was such a step down in terms of edge retention.

18. Ankerson

Nov 2, 2002
    The Mule did OK, but that was before I really gave S35VN a workout in different blades, in the end the Mule (2) did the best out of them.

S30V is a better option though IMO.

If they can find a way to get S35VN to 62 HRC or so it could do better I think, current hardness is just too soft.

19. Ankerson

Nov 2, 2002
    When you lower the Alloy content that forms the carbides without adding another carbide former into the matrix there is only one way to go and it's not better. ;)

20. jwolf90

jwolf90

Oct 17, 2011
    Doesn't CRK run there knives on the soft side 58-59