4.1 thread

I've used this time to up my gear, and when I've gotten the itch for my S! Blades I've bought a few hand made knives. The wait does sucks. When I recommend S! I tend to tell folks to find one on the secondary market, if they like it then put in for a wait.

Glad you're here, timbo.

I really like hearing the various ways of coping the last few threads and posts have produced.

Please don't read this next part as argumentative, but rather cautionary:
Nobody knows when we'll see 4.1's. As far as I can tell the 3v and 20cv 4.7's haven't started shipping in actual batches, just a few singles that are months apart. Focus seems to have shifted from those to get out cruforge next week. As all 4 steel types of 4.7's (including 154cm) ship out it will be time for the 2.7. After the 2.7 is finished THEN we'll see respectable amounts of 4.1's shipping. Sure, we'll see some fluke-ishly early 4.1's as Guy needs variety and practice at the sharpening station; and there will be loads of 4.1 seconds sold on Mondays, but that all means nothing to those with preorders. DISCLAIMER: I'm basing all this on previous practice and it's only my guess.

The flared scales of the new spec my fit the hand better in eronomics as well has the hump on the top but I purely enjoy the design cues of the old spec. Handle length is also shorter by half an inch in the old spec. I like the profile better.
I hear you. Personally i think the stonewash finish the old spec has looks alot better, aswell as the handle length.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I guess I came across as more negative than meant to.

You make some good points and I think it's easy for those who collect knives to say just use something else while you wait.
I don't have a lot of money to spend on knives these days, like so many of us after buying my fair share of cheap/crappy knives I've learnt it's better to save up and buy quality that will last, hence ordering the 4.1.
Current camping/outdoor tasks are handled with a Mora and a BK9, so I'm covered but at the same time there is definitely need for a quality 4" blade.

BTW just for fun I went back and compiled the list of 4.1 notes from the monthly updates, so we can all remind ourselves that despite the delays there is a steady march of progress.

8-15- We also have GSO-4.1 steel. Cutting is scheduled for late August.
9-15- Next up for the water jet cutting will be the GSO-4.1
10-15- Water jet cutting will start on the GSO-4.1 this month.
11-15- There were a lot of GSO-4.1 orders placed in the last few days of the preordering being open. We need more steel for this run and will start cutting blades as soon as those extra sheets arrive.
12-15- The GSO-4.1 run is getting cut out and machined to size.
1-16- GSO-4.1 blanks are going to production grinding later this month.
2-16- The GSO-4.1 blanks are heading to production grinding.
3-16- GSO-4.1 blanks are at production grinding.
4-16- GSO-4.1 blades will be moving to heat treat this month.
5-16- GSO-4.1 blades are finishing up at heat treating.
6-16- GSO-4.1 blades are mostly done at heat treat. Sheaths are being pressed!
7-16- GSO-4.1 blades are all at the SURVIVE! workshop. Other materials are being completed over the next few weeks.

So apart from Nov-15 it's been pretty solid forward progress, which has oddly cheered me up a little.

T.

I think right there is part of the problem: "cutting is scheduled for late August."
They finally got cut in December.

I think right there is part of the problem: "cutting is scheduled for late August."
They finally got cut in December.

I noticed that too. Better times ahead?

I know it's kind of the classic missed forecast, but I'm more interested in how things move once they have materials. If back in those early months they were still putting out 5's and necker II's and even new 5.1's then I wouldn't be as worried. I'm really looking forward to Monday being the first in a long line of met deadlines.

Nice compiling, timbo :thumbup:

Timbo, I've poked around in the production updates myself but I've never tabulated all the updates for a single model.
I like the perspective, and it reminds us that while we may be focused on shipping date for the models that we have on order Survive is juggling all of them continuously.
The first thing they did after selling all the 5.1 stock was order more steel for another run, so every model is still somewhere in the production cycle.
Waiting on steel is one of the steps that can take a while, and waiting for one of the outside shops that run the earlier production steps is something they can't directly control either.

... waiting for one of the outside shops that run the earlier production steps is something they can't directly control either...

Hmmm...
It looks like 3-months for all the cutting, 3 months for the grinding, 3 months for all the HT'ing (Hah! we KNOW who's doing that :D), and if we assume that handles & sheaths are produced somewhere in the midst of that (come'on, Guy's got to have a pre-production sample for the handle and sheath-makers, right?), then I'd guess it's another 3 months of sharpening and building...

... which puts the new 4.1 in my hands this fall! :D

Or not. *shrug* From the S!K Instagram feed

12445811_199093143802492_65946920_n.jpg

Glad you're here, timbo.

I really like hearing the various ways of coping the last few threads and posts have produced.

Please don't read this next part as argumentative, but rather cautionary:
Nobody knows when we'll see 4.1's. As far as I can tell the 3v and 20cv 4.7's haven't started shipping in actual batches, just a few singles that are months apart. Focus seems to have shifted from those to get out cruforge next week. As all 4 steel types of 4.7's (including 154cm) ship out it will be time for the 2.7. After the 2.7 is finished THEN we'll see respectable amounts of 4.1's shipping. Sure, we'll see some fluke-ishly early 4.1's as Guy needs variety and practice at the sharpening station; and there will be loads of 4.1 seconds sold on Mondays, but that all means nothing to those with preorders. DISCLAIMER: I'm basing all this on previous practice and it's only my guess.

Except all the 4.7's and 2.7's still need to get sharpened and finished and sent out, right?

Right now the focus is mainly on the GSO-4.7 because we had no idea how much extra work was going to be involved in the GSO-5.1 and GSO-4.7 runs when we made the delivery estimate for the GSO-4.7 Presale orders. We would like to get those out as soon as possible. We also didn't realize the Cerakote company was as backed up as it was and would like to get those Cru Forge V orders out as soon as possible. Once the existing GSO-4.7 orders are fulfilled we will probably start working on a mix of the blades we have in the workshop, rather than working on one model at a time. The orders were all placed around the same time so if we have the materials, we will do our best to start with the first orders placed.

The GSO-2.7s are small and much faster to work with so Guy as been slipping in stacks of those while working on finishing GSO-4.7s. There are also a lot less of them to get through, so we should have those preorders fulfilled much more quickly. There are a lot of GSO-4.1 orders so those will take some time, how much time will depend on how they go together (we will be looking at a random sample of those over the weekend, so we can see what we may or may not be up against).

Right now the focus is mainly on the GSO-4.7 because we had no idea how much extra work was going to be involved in the GSO-5.1 and GSO-4.7 runs when we made the delivery estimate for the GSO-4.7 Presale orders. We would like to get those out as soon as possible. We also didn't realize the Cerakote company was as backed up as it was and would like to get those Cru Forge V orders out as soon as possible. Once the existing GSO-4.7 orders are fulfilled we will probably start working on a mix of the blades we have in the workshop, rather than working on one model at a time. The orders were all placed around the same time so if we have the materials, we will do our best to start with the first orders placed.

The GSO-2.7s are small and much faster to work with so Guy as been slipping in stacks of those while working on finishing GSO-4.7s. There are also a lot less of them to get through, so we should have those preorders fulfilled much more quickly. There are a lot of GSO-4.1 orders so those will take some time, how much time will depend on how they go together (we will be looking at a random sample of those over the weekend, so we can see what we may or may not be up against).

Thank you, ma'am.

I'm really glad the time has come to focus on 4.7's :thumbup:

Pretty encouraging news about the 2.7's. Between the small size and small order numbers, that sounds like a winning combination for customers.

Pre sale for the 4.1 and 2.7 now !!
I ordered 4.1 delta 3v with camo g10 (hopefully micro textured ) and green sheath!

Last edited:
Was on the fence about picking up a knife beforw my 6.0 preorder came in, but the 4.1 is just small enough to be different from the 6 that I can warrant the purchase. Plus, I get to customize for free? Count me in!

Tried the Red Linen. Curious as to how it looks oiled up and how it feels in hand. Was leaning towards black, but I had to do something a little different. And people seem to love the linen in hand. Anyone care to confirm/deny its awesomeness?

So how does this PreSale thing work and how they fit into the deliverable schedule?

T.

Presales are in line after 2015 preORDERS or starter orders. The benefit is that you lock in exactly what you want as a factory first with a discount. Having to wait for it is the trade off.

Back