1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

4th Knife - Wharncliffe Desk Knife

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by write2dgray, Mar 20, 2017.

1. write2dgray

write2dgray Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Here are some photos of a Wharncliffe desk knife I just finished up, it is the fourth knife I've completed. I started the knife a couple months back under the tutelage of J. Neilson and finally had time to finish out the handle and final edge. It was inspired by desk knife designs by Case/Bose that I've always loved. I first sketched it up on paper then refined some of the curves in CAD.

The 3 1/2" blade was ground by eye from 1095 steel with an overall length of 6 1/4". The handle material is old Westinghouse micarta boslters and stabilized bog oak.

All comments and feedback greatly appreciated :). Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
    David

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. Maelstrom78

Maelstrom78

Sep 21, 2013
    Very nice. A darn sight better than my 4th!

3. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    nice!

4. write2dgray

Jan 17, 2012
    Thanks Maelstrom78 and Hengelo_77! As a maker, I see all the flaws, but I'm happy with the result :). I'm glacially slow at this, but apparently faster than the wait for a desk knife by T. Bose to become available :p.

Now I need to make a sheath or possibly wood block/holder of some sort for the desk!

5. Fish30114

Fish30114 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    That's a beautiful knife! I have a very similar design in my line--I love wharncliffs. Oh yeah--your showing off with your photography skills--what is that background that looks like burled wood--and ice??
    Very cool pics!!!

6. write2dgray

Jan 17, 2012
    Thank you very much, I have a new found love for wharnies for simple household tasks.

This is not your DSLR in a lightbox photo session :rolleyes:. Shot with Google Pixel phone, no filters or editing - only cropped. I threw a chunk of burl in the melting slushy snow in the backyard and used a little copper sample I had sitting around as a prop for the blade. I was feeling inspired and I think it came out pretty good for an impromptu 2 minute shoot, it took longer for the knees of my pants to dry :).

7. golfer1

golfer1

Nov 24, 2016
    Nice, simple design. I also like wharnke like blades. Gotta ask what a "desk knife" is though.

8. write2dgray

Jan 17, 2012
    Glorified letter opener. Simply a knife to leave sitting around your desk, rather than one to be pocketed, packed, or carried. A small blade designed mostly for opening letters and the occasional light snack prep :).