50 ton power hammer too much?

Just for reference... this is a 7 ton power hammer

SteamHammer.jpg

Yes it is a mechanical. I thought about it also, the foundation is going to have be insane to withstand this hammer. And 50 ton ones do exists, just in very small numbers. They are almost impossible to find, the one in the pic I post last night took 2 hours to find looking on the net. The blacksmith in town said he got lucky to find his as I feel I am lucky to have found this one.

If anyone is interested in having their own 50 ton, here is the link to the trip hammer I posted a picture of last night. Well worth the $4000 they are asking for it. Needs work but still worth it, talk about having a piece in your shop that people are just amazed by.
http://www.equipmentresale.com/product.html?id=87050

No I mean 50 ton, that is a picture of a 50lb but the one I am talking about is a 50 ton. It looks almost just like the 50lb just 5x bigger. I explained that in the op.

That is a 50 Lb Cnd version of a Little Giant.
As Don said, it's a typo

That's why it took you 2 hours to find it, If you had searched for 50 pound trip hammer, it would have not taken long at all

I hesitated to call you FOS at the beginning because I don't know everything
Thinking about it
50 tons is
50 x 2,000 pounds
100,000 pounds

Hammers are rated at their hammer weight, not total weight
so the total weight is about 10 to 20 x times that
It would be 500 to 1,000 tons
1,000,000 to 2,000,000 pounds

"No I mean 50 ton, that is a picture of a 50lb but the one I am talking about is a 50 ton. It looks almost just like the 50lb just 5x bigger. I explained that in the op."

A 50 ton hammer is 2,000x the size of a 50 Pound hammer, not 5 x
2,000 pounds per ton...

That would be HUGE...the size of a house, not 8 feet tall

and as Stacy mentioned the scrap rate would be high too.

$ 4000 is about right for a 50 pound in GOOD shape.
If you are paying "5 figures" that's $10,000 ???, then you need to do more research before you part with $
http://www.spaco.org/sellhammer.htm

This fellow sells parts and rebuilds them.
http://www.littlegianthammer.com/

Last edited:
I guess this hammer could just say 50 ton and not be anywhere near that being as old as it is. And from what I have learned today from you all it probably is more like a 50lb. It is really big but also very old so might be before they actually knew how to figure the stuff out or someone was just trying to be cute when they put the markings on it or when it was a down day in the shop or something. I did look for a makers company name and it had nothing on it anywhere that would be used to id it. Either way it is a monster and will look good when I do eventually get it. I would go out there today and get some pictures but they are not open because I am now really curious as to what it really is. Not knowing old hammers like some of you do I am just going off what I saw on it. The 50 ton marking was the only marking on it that I could find. Thanks for this information, should come in handy when I am trying to finalize a price with them.

I am hoping also to get some of their other stuff. This blacksmith shop is probably 65-75ft wide and a good 50 yards long and it is packed with stuff. Said they would not sell it but they have the biggest anvil I have ever seen in my life, a few presses, a few other smaller hammers, more hand tools than I could probably ever use and some other things that I have no idea what they are. Guy only had about 30 minutes to show me around so hopefully next time I get there more time for me to drool will be available. I just really like old tools and this place is packed with them. Getting them to part with them is going to be the trick. Only reason they are parting with the big hammer is the floor under it is toast and to turn it on would be messy.

Thanks all.
Learn something everyday and today could end up saving me a lot of money. No way in hell I would pay 5 digits for a 50lb hammer when I can buy a new air hammer and compressor for less.
Ronnie

No, while I do not know a lot about older hammers I do know one when I see one. Defiantly is a hammer.

The more I sit here and think about this hammer the more I want to go look at it again. Weekends suck as bad as places that are not open on them. Time to go fishing.

and the 7 ton in the photo is a Massey :D

I redesigned and built a 7.5 ton (almost identical to the one in the pic) 9 years ago, they have a decent 'bump' to them !

Where is the one in the pic above located?

Edit, got it from the photo ID , its Blaenavon, its the 'sister hammer' to the one I rebuilt (they were both at 'Doncasters' and made at the same time)

The photos are gone with the files in the home computer, but I have...had,that is... photos of Brad Vise,AKA Alabama Damascus, working down a 12"X12"X4" (H/L/W) billet on his 20 ton hammer. The billet is attached to a 10 foot handle, and he is wearing a foundry suit. The hammer dwarfs him ( actually, only the bottom of the hammer was in the photo.). IIRC, he said it takes two strikes to weld the billet, and a few more to reduce it for the next fold.

Also i believe the largest power hammer ever built was caled a 125 ton steam hammer at Bethlehem Steel, which was dismantled sometime before 1910. The next largest wast he Creusot hammer which was called a 100 ton steam hammer. However at that time with those gigantic hammers, unlike smaller hammers, they rated them instead of by ram weight by the maximum size forging that they could accomplish. The creusot hammer still exists today as the largest power hammer in the world. If you were to rate it by head weight, the Creusot hammer would be the ONLY 50 ton hammer on the plannet

It's currently used as a monument and non-functional.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/Le_Creusot_-_Marteau_Pilon_9.jpg

Some confusion sometimes creeps in as old hammers are rated in 'hundredweight' , Ie a 20 cwt (1 ton) might be incorrectly refered to as a 20 ton.

There are not many (open die) hammers bigger than 12 ton on the planet. I know of a good few closed die stamping hammers bigger, but financially, hydraulic presses make much more sense than hammers over 12 ton.

this Anyang hydraulic hammer looks to be about 10 ton to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFO3wCoqo_o

I FOUND IT! I have been looking for a while to find this. They use it to form propeller blades for older model C130's without the propeller upgrade. It is an Erie 50,000lb hammer. I was watching something like "MACHINES!" on the dicsovery channel or something like that and they were showing it in use. The workers said you can feel the ground shake even in the parking lot! The whole thing weighs 1.6 MILLION pounds!!!!!!!!!! That thing could flatten a 2 inch thick billet in one pass to 1/32 of an inch I could only imagine!

http://www.vibrodynamics.com/english/cases/CH-Kropp.pdf

Justin, that hammer you posted is simply crazy! I could only imagine the things that were made with that thing. Ship parts maybe?

Last edited:
Thanks Don, I will get that book, looks like a good read. Now that I have seen the math and the size of a 50 ton this one has to have the 50 ton on it as a joke or something because there is just no way it could be anywhere near that. It is bigger than a 50lb though. This company very well could have made it because that is what they do. It is a foundery where they make molds for various things so making it would not be that hard for them. Learn more everyday and I hate not knowing so go me some research to do. That 1.6 million pounder would be fun to play with.:)

And what a just lousy day of fishing, went to one of my favorite little lakes and this winter was too cold, whole thing froze and all my fish I wanted to catch are dead, they line the shore real nicely.

Ouch! Nothing worse than a winter kill on your favorite hole. We just barely stopped a guy from dumping 300# of copper sulfate in our common pond. While he explained that it was to help with the algae, I explained that when all the algae dies and decomposes the oxygen levels would drop and kill all the fish. He returned it and we told him about the grass carp we put in last fall.

Sorry to hear about the fish. I'm usually fishing when not knife making.

This might help a little with size comparison. Devin Thomas forging under a 500 lb Little Giant. Now Devin is a big man and this hammer is one quarter of one ton :)

B0C2E6AB-1D09-2E94-8FA6E4A4.jpg

Don't know, Ed. That's the only yellow LG I've seen.

If anybody can get away with it, Devin can. I wouldn't tell him he broke the rules :)

I will ask him about the color next time we talk...

I'm not convinced that there is anything Little about a 500lb. hammer.

wow, I can't imagine the foundation you need under that 500lb hammer:eek:

I just had one poured for my #150lb, and it was pretty big

Back