6-7 pounds ofchunk titanuim, recycle or make it into plates?

a budy of mine used to work for mcdonald douglas and the titanium they used for aircraft hulls they would typically throw away chunks they cut off(this was many years ago) any who, he took a few chunks of titanium that they'd throw away, and when i say chunks i mean chunks about 5x8x5, I've got about 6-7 pounds of titanium, and im wondering would any place be able to make this into sheets? or would it just be better to recycle them? i'm looking to use the titanium for liner locks/ frame locks.

I can't answer your question, but I'm sure someone can. If it (hopefully not) comes down to you tossing them, I'll take one off your hands (or the lot), mostly for experimenting and conversational purposes. Just fire me an email if it ever comes to that, but hopefully someone can help you repurpose them to your needs! Best of luck Shea.

Any idea of the ti alloy? For example if the chunks you've got are 6-4 ti, then they may be worth a couple hundred bucks to a knifemaker...who has access to a water jet. For the rest of us, it would be tough to cut.

Pm if you've got an asking price or additional info

David

I can't see how useful they'll be for waterjetting either. Usually you start with, or close to desired thickness.

Now, from a machining standpoint, plenty of uses. I'd trade you some 6al4v 0.065 thick sheet for it you can use for liners. Trying to cut it down is not really a realistic option. It would be time consuming, expensive, and wasteful to say the least.

edit: oh I see David, you're talking about slicing it on a waterjet. Well, I seriously doubt it would be worth the setup time, considering how cheap surplus ti sheet can be had for these days. But what do I know? ;)

Yeah it would have to be a "buddy deal" at the water jet shop. I'd use it for guards, bolsters, butt caps etc.

I've got a few 1" chunks and I use them for leather anvils, doorstops, paperweights, etc. It's actually not bad trying to cut on a band saw, but you need a sharp blade and LOTS of pressure. Oh, and the blade will be dead by the time you're done cutting. It is much cheaper and easier to just buy the sheets than it would to cut it up.

Personally, I'd try to trade it for some sheet stock, unless you have access to a full blown machine shop (at the very least a waterjet or laser cutter, surface grinders, etc...) and don't mind the waste. Javand's deal sounds reasonable.

well yeah, i don't really have any idea of the alloy, and i'm not sure exactly when my buddy got them id say around 1995-2005? somewhere in that time frame, i'm also not sure what kind of planes they were building, very hush hush. either or ill try and figure it out. ill also here's a pic of one of the slugs, ill ask him if he knows the alloy.
wau20.jpg
This is the smallest of the slugs, it just had the least amount of sharp edges so i thought id take a picture of this one. It weighs about 1 pound.

Last edited:
Back