1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

A Case knife that rides well in the pocket?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by LiftToFill, May 10, 2012.

1. LiftToFill

LiftToFill

Apr 2, 2011
    I have a Case Trapper in red bone and CV. I love it, but when I carry it it goes sideways in my pocket and becomes uncomfortable sometimes. Can anyone recommend a Case knife that is small enough that it won't bother me if it's sideways in my pocket? I know about the peanut, but that might be too tiny for me.

2. quattromori

quattromori

May 7, 2011
    I have this feeling that you will be submerged with alot of "Swayback Jack" answers... :rolleyes:
    I should get a SBJ soon, so I will be able to tell you about it. I don't like when large knives get sideways in my pocket either...so I just go smaller.
    Edit: Even though I don't have a Case, I found that the Canoe (or baby butterbean) patterns are really comfy in the pocket even if they get sideways, due to the rounded shape of the bolsters.

Fausto
    :cool:

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  3. DrPenguin

DrPenguin

Mar 2, 2005
    To paraphrase Jeff Cooper, a serpentine jack is never a mistake. :p

Course if you like the trapper why not try the mini-trapper? I carried one for years although in all honesty it was a Queen not a Case.

Will

4. Voltron

Voltron

Dec 13, 2008
    If you like your knife, why carry another? Here's a trick our very own Jackknife taught me. Put your knife in your pocket sideways, and then put a wadded up bandana on top of it. It won't bother you m
    uch that way.

5. totallynotalex

totallynotalex Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 2009
    The small texas jack rides wonderfully in the pocket.

6. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Let me be the second to suggest the unobtrusive Swayback Jack, I won one on a giveaway here on the forums and it hasn't left my pocket since I got it a few months ago, it's just right for a pocket ride.

7. Sonnemann

Sonnemann

Sep 21, 2010
    If you like the full-size trapper and going sideways is your main concern, it's a simple thing to put a simple row of vertical stitches into your pocket from the inside and create a meta-pocket to keep your knife upright. If you're set on a smaller pattern I'll echo suggestions of the SBJ, canoe, smaller trapper, etc.

8. Voodoosix

Voodoosix

Jun 6, 2011
    not sure how much help this will be...

if you can get a hold of one of the felt baggies Canal Street Cutlery ships with their knives, they hold the knife in place while riding in the pocket. i initially thought they had a "cheap" feel when compared to Benchmade's bags, but i soon realized the beauty of them them as the stiffer felt like construction provides traction and it grips the inside of the pocket. ive started using them for my Cases and GECs as well and they work great.

9. slight

slight

May 22, 2011
    First buy a peanut. Cheap and small enough to carry even if you have a bunch of junk.

And I like canoes too. But I like my vex Barlow better. It is rounded like a canoe. But even higher quality knives have problems competing with my peanuts

10. LiftToFill

LiftToFill

Apr 2, 2011
  11. nik870

nik870

Apr 2, 2012
    I have found the case butterbean great for riding in the pocket. I can't stand a knife sideways so most of the ones I carry are under 3". The small texas toothpick is one I just picked up and kind of a neat knife. The buck knight is also good size with a lockblade.

12. Stich2442

Stich2442

May 6, 2012
    Case 6318 med. stockman very comfortable, disappears in the pocket.

13. protourist

protourist Sailin' a reach before a followin' sea. Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Swayback Jack or Mini Copperhead. Both are great knives that are too sexy for words and disappear in your pocket until called upon.

14. Ryanol

Ryanol

Aug 24, 2011
    The flood Of SBJ recommendations continues..

15. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 2, 2004
    Peanut, mini trapper, mini copperhead, Eisenhower, pen, small Texas jack, Buck 309 companion. All disappear in a pocket but will handle 99% of your daily cutting chores.

As nice as the sway back is, it's just too bulky in the handle, and rides like a larger knife. Bulky for the size blades it has.

Carl.

16. Ryanol

Ryanol

Aug 24, 2011
    Another voice heard from the peanut gallery. ;)

I couldn't resist.

17. SubSpace

SubSpace

May 26, 2011
    I agree with Carl (Jaccknife) on this. I love the Swayback Jack, but I don't carry it often because, to me, it does carry like a much larger knife. This has to do with the handle width, the "swayback" itself, and the beefiness of the springs/blades. The pen blade of the SBJ is almost the same width as the Peanut main blade.

I recommend a Peanut, Mini-Copperhead if you like a wharnie, or even the medium stockman in red bone CV. That knife gives you three useful blades and isn't much more than a Peanut in the pocket.

18. moonwilson

moonwilson

Aug 10, 2006
    There's a reason why so many folks are chiming in with the "swayback jack" response. That's because it's the correct answer. ;)

19. jakemex

jakemex Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have a trapper and like it for EDC but really my slimline carries better in pocket because it is so thin. I vote slimline in CV. I've been considering a swayback but they are too high priced IMO because of the hype right now. I'm not sure if I'll like the handle shape in hand either.