A fun new woods chopper--Friedrich Dick "Italien Messer" cleaver!

Only cleaned one duck in my life and the only thing I had was a plain old paring knife. A boning knife would have been much more convenient, but it was a domestic duck we came into possession of under rather odd circumstances and it needed to go so I used what was available. :p

Amazing that a 2 lb duck can produce 12 lbs of fat, isn't it? I hunted duck once. Never again.

Cool Butcher/cleaver. I have spend some time on their site, and need about 4 or 5 of the offerings.

Amazing that a 2 lb duck can produce 12 lbs of fat, isn't it? I hunted duck once. Never again.

It was an Indian Runner so it was fairly lean as far as ducks go, but I can't say as I care for how it tastes so, like you, never again. I'll stick with my rabbits, thanks! :D

Cool Butcher/cleaver. I have spend some time on their site, and need about 4 or 5 of the offerings.

Yeah they make some stuff no one else does! Being a horse owner, I wish I had access to their farrier's equipment and files too, but unfortunately their USA distribution only covers the culinary lines. :p

Looks like something Dr Bill would use for a toothpick!.......just kidding. Pretty sweet there is a production cleaver though.

They make a good selection of more "typical" pro-grade cleavers as well, and they're the last production manufacturer of two-handed pork and beef splitters! I plan on adding several of those models to my line, but can special order anything they make. They don't have minimum order requirements and their US branch is only a couple states away from me. They ship same-day and it only takes 2-3 days to get to me. I'm very impressed with them both as a manufacturer and as a distributor!

Only cleaned one duck in my life and the only thing I had was a plain old paring knife. A boning knife would have been much more convenient, but it was a domestic duck we came into possession of under rather odd circumstances and it needed to go so I used what was available. :p

I used to bang a lot of wild ducks and geese. Make sure that you are up wind as the innerds could gag a maggot with the reek.

Yes, I have! Interesting piece of work, though I REALLY want to get my hands on some of their other cleavers (and I will, in time. :D)

I'm really glad to finally get my paws on 'em. I'd been eyeing them for a long time now because I really tend not to have as much use for a hatchet as I do a large knife, but those on the market right now don't chop "heavy" enough to justify the weight to me. Also, I love blue handles. They're "friendly," high visibility without burning your eyes like orange, and unlike orange they'll still stand out against fall leaves. Honestly I can't believe that they're able to put out a piece this large, stainless, tapered, convexed, and polished for so little money. And from Germany, no less!

I also got a number of other models in, amongst them being their "lamb skinner" model which resembles what would happen if a Mora and George Sears' original nessmuk (not the thicker, heavier, modern interpretations) had a baby. I bet you he probably based his personal knife after this style. The grip is almost stupidly comfortable.

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

I have used a "lamb skinner"as an all around skinning knife in a small commercial setting to skin beef, lamb and pork. They are fantastic for this purpose.

I used to bang a lot of wild ducks and geese. Make sure that you are up wind as the innerds could gag a maggot with the reek.

I think I'm all set, thanks! That one Indian Runner was all the duck cleaning experience I think I need to learn that I never want to do it again. :D

I have used a "lamb skinner"as an all around skinning knife in a small commercial setting to skin beef, lamb and pork. They are fantastic for this purpose.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the pattern! Seems like it'd be a right handy knife for that. :thumbup:

Did a little demo today. :)

[video=youtube;2J2E4lr6y-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J2E4lr6y-Q[/video]

That knife looks like something out of anime. Maybe someone can do a kydex sheath for it.

A member here contacted me about wanting to try making a leather sheath for it so I'll be sending them some cardboard templates to use. I'll be having some JRE Industries sheaths done up for the shop eventually. :)

At least a fella could justify that to his wife as a kitchen tool also. Mine doesn't really care as long as I don't whine about her shoe buying, but I bet that she would challenge me on that monster ! :D

You can always use it to chop her shoes. "WHAT I was testing the cutting ability - Were those new?"

Well, it'd be a good excuse to go in on half a cow with someone. :D

Isn't it though? :D I'll be needing some more poles for some projects around the homestead, so I'll see if I can take another video of it felling. Chopping something rooted in the ground is very different from chopping something that's unsupported!

Took another video, as promised. :)

[video=youtube_share;Rf3hafB5Kco]http://youtu.be/Rf3hafB5Kco[/video]

You can always use it to chop her shoes. "WHAT I was testing the cutting ability - Were those new?"

I'd have an excuse if her feet smelled like mine. :eek: :D Heyyyyyyyy, leather shoes can be made into leather sheaths................. hmmmm.

Back