1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

A knife you bought that really suprised you

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Piper Maru, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Piper Maru

Piper Maru Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Have you ever bought a knife that you did not expect it to be much of anything but turned into one of the best knives you have ever bought or turned into your EDC. Tell your unlikely knife buying stories and post pictures if you want. For me a stand out, would be this $5 scheffield knife, it was a rainbow anodized knife. I bought it because it looked nice enough, well I EDC that $5 knife for a year or so and sometimes I will carry it, I am really impressed by the knife. It was just a simply linor lock but it held up great and locked tight, still does.

So what do you have to say.

2. hayes31

hayes31

Jun 5, 2012
    I bought a SOG Field Pup as a beater, but it's turned out to a be a great grilling knife.

3. The Logical One

The Logical One Gold Member Gold Member

May 31, 2011
    Spyderco Para 2. After seeing all the rave I bought one and was initially feeling iffy about its durability because of how light and seemingly fragile it looked/felt. Once I started using it all of my doubts went away. I've had some pretty badass knives and by far if I had to choose one EDC and only one, it would be the para 2.

4. Goosey

Goosey

Mar 19, 2012
    Sanrenmu 710. I wasn't going to keep it at all - it was supposed to be a cheap gift... but I ended up liking it quite a bit. :D

[​IMG]

5. retzius

retzius

Sep 17, 2009
    Ontario Rat-1. It's so great for the price it's almost ridiculous.

6. user knife

user knife

Oct 24, 2011
    Mine would be the Buck Vantage. This was before the Vantage craze hit at it was the base model, under $20.00 bucks. I still do not like the tip up carry but what a great knife for the money. Love it.

7. TheSharpStuff

TheSharpStuff

May 31, 2011
    Wincherster parafive, bought it for 15 bucks, used it for about 2 years as a camping knife. It worked great. The steal in it is amazing, takes a razor edge and holds it pretty good. It was the first knife I had bought in around 5 or 6 years.

8. DeepFriedDoom

DeepFriedDoom

Apr 14, 2010
    I carried a Vic Tourist for a month to prove that it was a horrible EDC folder. I ended up loving it, and now three years later I carry nothing but a Vic Climber when I'm in the city. The red scales and scissors are the bee's knees when sheeple are about.

9. jhyde7585

jhyde7585 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Cold Steel Recon 1. Never thought it would be as damn sturdy as it ended up being. Amazing value.

10. WadeWilson

WadeWilson

Mar 21, 2011
    This is exactly how I felt about the Cold Steel American Lawman. Bought it completely on a whim not expecting much. I wasn't a big Cold Steel fan at the time but this knife alone changed my attitudes towards them. So yeah I was like, meh I'll buy, cut some stuff with it, see how it goes. What a great knife. I really started to take a liking to it. So much infact I removed all the black teflon coating off of everything I could and it's a very handsome knife. The stone washed blade is very nice and the uncoated lock bar creates great contrast in the handle. Anyway, I've since lost the knife here in Afghanistan, but I'm thinking I need to pick up a new. I miss having it. So yeah, I love a pleasant surprise.

11. Piper Maru

Piper Maru Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2012
    I will admit that is a good point, swiss army knives are easily the most people friendly knives. While I never would suggest taking out a knife in a jewelry store, most jewelry stores sell swiss army knives so is that is the knife you are bringing out of your pocket they are already familiar with that knife, although I still would not take the knife out.

12. jsp

jsp

Jun 6, 2007
    For me, it was a Spyderco Tenacious. Full flat grind, four way clip position, G10 handles and great lockup with no blade play in any direction. Not bad for about $30. The Ontario RAT-1 is another good one under $30.

13. KRS1

KRS1

Jun 4, 2012
    I'm on my second Victorinox Sentinel for my abuse knife ($24). It's light, cheap, razor sharp, absolutely does not rust and has stayed tight no matter what i do with it. I dont really care how much i abuse it since its so cheap and its withstood everything ive thrown at it short of 'heavy' prying, but i have used it to chip away at epoxy and freezer ice and it stood its ground. Not really long or heavy enough to baton anything though.

Makes me wonder why i have knives 5 times as expensive. But then i look at them and then i remember...lol

If they come up with some tactical folders using that same steel but thicker and still retain its razor sharpness id be all over it.

14. Schuey2002

Schuey2002

Feb 25, 2003
    For me it's an Enlan EL-01 KH that I recently picked up on Fleabay.

I can't get over how fantastic this Chinese-made knife feels in the hand. I simply wasn't expecting a knife at this price point to be this solid-feeling. I find myself constantly picking it up just to fondle the stupid thing..

15. Goosey

Goosey

Mar 19, 2012
    I have one of those being shipped to me and have heard nothing but good things about them, this is just another +1, thanks :D

16. Schuey2002

Schuey2002

Feb 25, 2003
    Whenever I pick up this knife, for some reason I keep thinking of the old, discontinued Buck/Strider 882/889 folders.

Sure those knives looked cool and all. But, I can't help but wonder if those knives had liners that were as thick, and locked up as well as these EL-01's, if they still wouldn't be making them today..

17. Matador

Matador Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Cold Steel Rajah lll.

18. PropThePolecat

PropThePolecat

Jan 31, 2009
    The Benchmade Rift. I didn't expect it to be THAT great a knife.

19. Monofletch

Monofletch Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    I also bougt a RAT 1 after the rave reviews. WOW!

20. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    First para 1. I really wasn't keen on the para 1 but I got a really good deal on one. I thought it was just too small but once I got it in hand, I was singing a different tune. The same thing happened to me with the para 2. When the blade play on the Para 2 got really talked about around the forums, I was really leery about getting one because I am anal about blade play. The raves convinced me to give a regular para 2 a try. Damned if I didn't change my tune as soon as I got one in hand.