1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

A question for TiLock owners

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by badplayer35, Jul 14, 2017.

1. badplayer35

badplayer35

Feb 26, 2013
    I just got a new TiLock and I noticed that at the locked position, if I push down the back of the blade about midway down, the blade will disengage - almost like a slip joint There is some resistance to get the "dumbell" out of the notch but I thought you'd have to lift up the "dumbell" before you can disengage the lock. Does anyone have a similar experience - is this normal?

Thank you in advance!

2. DRLyman

DRLyman Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2016
    FWIW, I tried it with both of mine and that doesn't happen. Maybe I wasn't pressing hard enough, but I only pressed as hard as I felt comfortable doing. I never have pressure in that direction when using the knife, anyways.

3. Wavicle

Wavicle

Jul 22, 2014
    I tested the two that I have after I purchased them (earlier this year and the prior year) by putting pressure on the back of the blade using the edge of a bench-- and holding it very carefully! I applied a fair amount of pressure and neither blade made any movement whatsoever. I did this to make certain they would be safe to use if pressing the tip into something, for example.

It sounds like yours may need to be adjusted at the factory or exchanged if the dealer will work with you.

DRLyman likes this.
  4. DRLyman

DRLyman Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Good point, I never thought of that.

5. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    The only way I can get my knife to close is to lift up the "dumbbell"

6. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    That sounds like the lock is failing bud.

7. EvilBoffin

EvilBoffin

Feb 3, 2017
    I recall seeing posts on the forum a while back from some dumbass stating that he could collapse the blade by smacking the lockbar/spine against a counter edge very hard, and that made the design "unsafe".

Hey - this is the INTERNET, and everybody's wants his 15 minutes of fame. :poop::poop:

I just tried pushing on the middle like you described on my 2017 'In Motion' Annual Ti-lock. Admittedly, it's basically brand-new, but there is NO way I could defeat the lock without lifting the barbell, seriously injuring myself or using excessive pressure that would break the knife.

SO - If yours does indeed close that easily, then I agree with other posters that you should send it back to CRK for service.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  8. badplayer35

badplayer35

Feb 26, 2013
    Thank you Everyone for the replies. Here's what's happening - the brass dumbbell falls into the notch only about 2/3 of the way and I have to push it down to fully engage. When I do push it down fully, the blade locks up perfectly; it's like a a frame lock that is way too early and has to be pushed inward to fully engage. I am hoping that this is a matter of breaking-in and eventually the dumbbell will sit 100% without any added effort. I'm a bit sad that something like this would escape CRK's quality control - I am overseas and sending this back to the US would be expensive and time consuming.

Again, thank you for the replies.

9. ti lock

ti lock

Jul 20, 2013
    badplayer, did you buy it directly from CRK ?

10. badplayer35

badplayer35

Feb 26, 2013
    Ti Lock - this was purchased from Knives Ship Free, its the "in motion" version

11. kidcongo

kidcongo Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2013
    My Ti-Lock does not do this. CRK will take care of you under warranty I'm sure.

The Ti-lock may not have the strongest lock mechanism, but it locks up solid. In other words, you are going to have to break the lock to get it to release.

EvilBoffin likes this.
  12. ti lock

ti lock

Jul 20, 2013
    i wonder if someone took it apart and then reassembled it incorrectly

13. Wavicle

Wavicle

Jul 22, 2014
    Then definitely call and/or email them. Derrick runs a first class operation and his staff will work with you.

14. badplayer35

badplayer35

Feb 26, 2013
    I'm sure that KSF will take care of me; I have dealt with them several times before and all my transactions are top notch. Thing is I am in the Philippines and shipping out is expensive and if this can be avoided, I'd prefer that. And nope, the knife wasn't dismantled by me - I noticed the problem a few minutes after I unboxed it.

Anyway, I really suspect that as it's a matter of breaking the knife in and not a fatal flaw with the lock. If I push the dumbbell in, the lock up is perfect. Right now, the dumbbell just doesn't fall right in 100%. I've had a frame lock (not CRK) with a similar issue out of the box but after a number of open-close cycles, the lock up is much better and I don't have to push the lock bar in. I hope that this will be the case with the TiLock.

Thank you again for the concern/advise