About serrations

Grateful

Basic Member
Anybody want to try and talk me into buying a serrated Spyderco? I have always avoided serrations like the plauge but lately have wondered if a fully serated knfe might not be a good edc. I normally edc a ffg Delica through the week and switch to something larger, Millie, Para, or Endura on the weekends. I always carry a sak that i use for most tasks saving my folder for bigger rougher jobs.
So anybody got any good things to pass on to me about edcing a serrated Spyderco?

Jim

From what I hear if you go with an H1 salt series, serrations are the way to go. Also from what I hear for the most part Spyderco has the best serrations. So go with a no maintenance serrated salt model and peace of mind knowing you are getting the most out of H1 steel with the spydie serrations. Start with the cheaper dragonfly model and see if you like it. Serrated knives make great utility blades and less blade maitnance

Last edited:
Serrated H1 is awesome, get a dragonfly if you want to try it out for under $60. SE is easy to sharpen and works well for most tasks I use a knife for. The serrations also come from the factory razor sharp.

I call mine a pocket chain saw!! Use this bad boy as a work knife. It does a fantastic job!! Very easy to sharpen on the Sharpmaker too!
I love the fact that the 'points' are kinda rounded, not pointy. They won't break off like pointy ones.
And mine also came out of the box screaming sharp!!
Joe
171a9368039b9cf3dc618f63442253ed.jpg

Or this one!!
d4c4eb84642b78f24b26893f81a3286e.jpg

I bought a Salt 1 SE off the Exchange and find it very useful for working out the yard.

Ditto on getting a serrated salt. I waited a long time to finally get a serrated spyderco and I wish I wouldn't had waited so long. Spyderco does it very well.

Pac Salt is the one to get. Easily carried and big enough to be useful.

Last edited:
For fiberous material and self defense, a serrated blade is the way to go. The sight of those shimmering serrations on a black blade, will strike fear into the blackest of hearts. ;)

I have to SE spydercos, Assist in VG10 and a Tasman Salt. I have tested them on some old uniforms and ropes, and they do indeed rip throug them, but I can't say they do it better than PE Endura or PM2. I haven't had the chance to test them om seatbelts yet, but I have tested them on cargo strops and it's the same: they work well, but so does the plain edges.

The Tasman rips through cardboard like it was nothing!

The main advantage as I see it is that you can go longer between sharpenings, and for the h1-steel, maintenance free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But a spyderedge is something that needs to be tried, and I dont think you will regret it if you try it on a model you like :)

First thanks to everone for the replies. The Salt series seems to be the general recomendation and are very popular. The Pacific Salts look pretty good. One question tho, other than corrousion resistance is there a good reason to choose an H1 Salt over a VG10 Delica/Endura? Also will the VG10 serrated blade stay sharp longer than the H1 serrated blade?

Jim

I'd say stick to plain edges. Serrations are only useful if kept razor sharp, are a pain in the ass to sharpen, get hung up on stuff, and are good for only a few things, like wet rope and... well, I don't know. Sorry, I really don't like them. I can sharpen my plain edges on a rock if I have to, so there goes the longer lasting edge of SE down the tube. I've used two extensively at work, and come to these conclusions. Maybe someone could convince me otherwise, but I don't know.

You simply have to try one, especially a Salt series in H1.

Dragonfly Salt
Salt (Delica)
Pacific Salt (Endura)

The native 5 light weight serrated is a nice knife. The serrated edge goes well with a full flat ground blade.

As said, nothing more needs to be said. H1 Pacific Salt in SE.
Go! :thumbup:

It's a no brainer,

20170125_132305_zps6tm5u9st.jpg

20170124_131149_zpsntstswfu.jpg

First thanks to everone for the replies. The Salt series seems to be the general recomendation and are very popular. The Pacific Salts look pretty good. One question tho, other than corrousion resistance is there a good reason to choose an H1 Salt over a VG10 Delica/Endura? Also will the VG10 serrated blade stay sharp longer than the H1 serrated blade?

Jim

H1 seems to be made for serrations. Ive read H1 is a softer steel and comparable to aus 8 blade as far as the plain edge blade retention. You get the most out of maintnance free H1 steel with serrations (makes up for the steel being a little softer than some other high end steels) and I guess the steel hardens with use. As far as vg-10 thats up to you......Can't wait to hear about how much you like your new H1 Serrated Salt!:thumbup:

From what I hear if you go with an H1 salt series, serrations are the way to go. Also from what I hear for the most part Spyderco has the best serrations. So go with a no maintenance serrated salt model and peace of mind knowing you are getting the most out of H1 steel with the spydie serrations. Start with the cheaper dragonfly model and see if you like it. Serrated knives make great utility blades and less blade maitnance

I pretty much agree with most everything that Brother "extrastout" said in his post ;). You just can't hardly go wrong with anything in Spyderedge out of the H-1 Salt Series. You might want to look up threads put out by our good Brother "Surfingringo" who uses these Salt Series blades extensively. The 6 Salt Folders I have perform excellent and sharpen up very well. Now I don't much recommend plain edged blades from the Salt series but their Spyderedged blades do very well.

Also there is a fixed blade model that everyone tell me is like a chainsaw of a knife and I'm referring to the JUMPMASTER models. Also keep in mind that any of your Spyderco models with VG-10 blade steel are also worth taking a look at. Personally I've also had great luck with all of my VG-10 serrated Spyders. It's one of the few blade steels I've found that makes excellent steel for plain edges and Spyderedges as well.

Also keep in mind there are blade steels from the past that have good performance records for Spyderco's serrated blades. A few that come to mind are AUS-8, ATS-55, ATS-34, GIN-1, and 440V. I own and use Spyderedged blades made with those older blade steels and I've had great luck with those in particular.

I don't know if they have a Spyderedged blade made with LC200N yet but I keep hearing great things about that blade steel too.

One question tho, other than corrousion resistance is there a good reason to choose an H1 Salt over a VG10 Delica/Endura?

I also prefer them because their lack of liners make them lighter than their endura/delica counterparts.

Back