Advice for new high end ish fixed blade

S30V is > 3V, and 3V is > S30V, it depends on what properties you are prioritizing. And the OU-31 in the Kiku blades is a fairly tough steel, so that would not be an issue.

First, in the interest of disclosure, I do not own one of these knives so I am talking out my @$$, as is anyone else commenting on a knife they don't own or have experience using. Just looked at the Hurricane, and while the handle does look overly "grippy" for my taste (I prefer smooth for a long day of whittling, cutting, and chopping), I doubt the knife will fly out of your hand if you attempt chopping. Regardless, if you "choke down" on the grip in order to get a little more snap in your chop, you should be using a lanyard. Again, catastrophic knife escape averted.

It certainly has the Neato factor you're looking for, but is a bit above the price range you initially stated. Check out the web sites for the various custom makers that have been suggested and see if they have something close to what you're looking for and then give them a call and discuss your ideas and price with them. I'd like to add Dan Graves to the list of makers. He makes his own damascus, his designs are sweet, and his prices are reasonable. While I like, own, and use Busse and Kin knives, they are somewhat plain. Their joy is in their use by the owner rather than the eye of the beholder (though simplicity does have its own beauty) and it sounds like you'd like to do a fair amount of beholding before you actually get around to eviscerating the zombie hordes. Good luck on your quest!

Mr Graves does some real nice damascus work, thanks Wyszrd.

This knife hunting business is hard work, phew!

Got a rough idea of how the knife should look:

1. Curved belly, with katana-ish lines similar to a SOG Pendulum

2. Reinforced tip, reverse? tanto again like the SOG Pendulum

3. Glassbreaker at the butt of the knife

4. Aggressive jimping

5. Solid 6mm thick premium steel, 7-8 inches of blade (S30V or similar) with micarta handles slapped on it

Does this sound like a reasonable heavy duty design?

I know it's not tantoish but if price isn't a problem I'd go the Ferhman Blood Moon. First rate Zombie fighter and will probably appreciate in value.

Yeah I thought about the Bloodmoon, it's a real looker.

I'm not looking for a tanto style blade per say, just the top part where it's got a reinforced tip like a tanto, much prefer the beefy belly on the blade.

b3vbluegoldelder37995me.jpg

steelchart2010.gif

What model Bark River is that?
It just made my bucket list!!!

as a counterpoint to the custom options, look into the busse offerings

INFI is at least as good, and most likely better than any custom steel that you will be able to get in that price range. S7 might have a chance of keeping up with it, but s30v does not.

In the $400 range, you have a wide variety of options. Busse backs their blades up with an unconditional lifetime warranty. You break it, they replace it.

The other side of the Busse coin is Swamp Rat. They run under $200, and the steel they are made of is still VERY good.

Busse Natural Outlaw $350-500
20443.jpg

Swamp Rat Rodent 9 $200
rodent9_sm.jpg

Thanks guys.

Had a look at Fehrman knives, did enjoy the look on the Bloodmoon:

http://store.fehrmanknives.com/bloodmoon.aspx

From what I read, S30V steel is > than CPM 3V, should I be seeking a S30V blade instead?

Would you recommend a top 3 list of steels I should be looking out for when going custom?

Depends on what you are looking for the knife to do and or what it will be used for.

If you want tough with good edge retention and non stainless CPM 3V.

Tough and Stainless with good edge retention ELMAX.

MAX edge retention CPM 10V/ K294 (A11 at high hardness), can take very thin grinds at high Hardness.

Max Edge retention in a Stainless CPM S110V, can take very thin grinds at high hardness.

Other great choices would be in Stainless - CPM 154, CPM S30V, 154CM.

And Non Stainless - D2, A2, A8.

Makes alot of sense Mike, am reconsidering that hurricane.

Any suggestion on a customer maker who's happy to work with a big knife with exotic blade design?

I really like Scott Gossman's work, and he is a top maker who has done customs for several forum members. I have 2 knives by him (a bolo and a Deer Creek belt knife) and they are both excellent.
As far as Kikuo knives is concerned; I agree, the Hurricane is not all that practical a design, however there are other Kikuo knives that are excellent user designs, (police, kasumi, yunagi, basura, and some of the chopper and hunter styles styles, to name a few) and the OU-31 steel is excellent in my experience, very tough and holds a edge extremely well. Also the Hamaguri-ba (full convex) grind on some of them is extremely well done, if you do get one of these be sure it has this feature; Kikuo is one of the best makers in the world, so you may as well take advantage of this if you are going to spend so much money. Kikuo knives are very expensive though, unless you get a used knife you can probably get something just as functional (although maybe not as pretty) for a less.
Think about the design of the knife, and what you want to be able to do with it; that will determine performance more than anything else. In your price range there are many many options!

Last edited:
Back