Aftermarket belts for Work Sharp tested today!

Nice work. Might be worth trying to get a group buy going if they don't add them as a standard size.

- Tim

The lady I spoke with talked like it wouldn't take too many calls to get them to add a 3/4" width. Hopefully more folks will want to buy this new model, and want to get some aftermarket belts. Having sharpened ten knives my first day, I have st say, the belts that come with the unit seemed to work quite well. While I would like to see more grit options, I didn't feel the least bit handicapped by the standard belts.

The WS 220 grit belt is noticeably rougher than the MX 240 is, even though they are similar grits. Even a WS 220 that has done at least 50 sharpenings is rougher, IMO. I wondered if the MX240 would cut as well as the WS 220 does?

I started with the MX240 (I already know what the WS belts can do). It produced a very nice, clean grind. It took 11 passes on each side to work up a burr. After this, the belt felt much smoother to the touch than an unused MX240 does. It seems to me that the WS 220 belts cuts much faster and will last longer. Time will tell, I suppose.

And what did time have to say?

I see they have added the 1x18 for the blade grinding attachment, which is on my shopping list. So I'd really like to know if it is recommended to load up on MX belts, or stick with my usual Econoway Abrasives, which I find comparable (in the mid grits, anyway) to the standard WS belts.

Thanks!

Cramsey3006 hasn't posted in two years. Anyone else have an idea?

My only complaint with the MX cloth belts is that the adhesive holding it together isn't very strong and seems to separate due to heat. Not the best experience to be sharpening and then the belt separates and flies at your face:thumbdn:.

Anyone able to get Micro-Surface to drop their shipping price? Hell, Id pay the $7.20 for the small Priority Flate rate box.

Back