1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

All Knives Need Sheaths

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Rick Marchand, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Donkey on the Edge Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 6, 2005
    I was asked by a couple people to relate how I do my stitching. So I thought I'd start a thread to share techniques and tips used by the many wonderful makers hear on BF.

You don't have to do a complete tutorial or anything. Just give a bit of helpful info that has worked for you in the past.... and maybe throw a pic or two up for coolness factor.

I consider my style to be rough and simple. I use basic tools that help everything line up. Here is a quick overview.. (I'll have to resort to using a scrap piece of leather as I don't have any sheaths on the go right now.)

1. My tools from left to right: Stitching palm, pliers, freehand stitch groover, guided stitch groover, edge bevel and an overstitch wheel.
    [​IMG]

2. Use the stitch groover to set your lines and recess the thread in the leather for protection.
    [​IMG]

3. Roll your overstitcher to set spacing.
    [​IMG]

4. Useing a drillpress is much easier than punching through thick leather by hand. I put a polished pin in the chuck that is slightly bigger than my sewing needle.
    [​IMG]

5. Use the beveler to make the edge nice. (doesn't matter when you do this step)
    [​IMG]

6. On the opposite side, use the stitch groover to "connect the dots".
    [​IMG]

7. Run the overstitcher across it to line everything up for stitching.
    [​IMG]

8. My stitching hand is packed full of goodies... the stich palm for pushing, the pliers for pulling and of course, the needle and thread. (sorry about the ugly stained fingers... lol)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. ron_m80

ron_m80 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 1, 2009
    I havn't seen a stiching palm like that since i was in the navy. Thanks for the good and informative read.

3. Justin.Mercier

Justin.Mercier

Oct 21, 2006
    Wonderful tutorial! Thank you very much for sharing. Sheaths are something that I haven't even thought about starting and doing my own yet. All my good sheathes i've been getting from Chris Kravitt at Treestump leather.

4. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Donkey on the Edge Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 6, 2005

Chris is a top notch leather guy... a true craftsmen.

Rick

5. R. Mark Lee

R. Mark Lee

Oct 21, 2002
    Great info. I always like seeing how somebody else does it, because I can always pick up useful tips and tricks. Now I have to go make a stiching palm. Do you mind just showing a picture of the stiching palm on its own? By the way, I love the knife sheath combo, looks like home be right at home cutting a trail in the jungle.

6. d_filgate

d_filgate

Nov 28, 2007
    Rick,
    I sent you an email off of your website last week.
    Haven't heard back from you.
    Was looking for info

Thanks.
    Dave in B.C.

7. d_filgate

d_filgate

Nov 28, 2007
    Drat...Double Post

8. Rick Marchand

Jan 6, 2005
    Lemme check, Dave.... it might have gotten Spammed by accident.

Rick

9. grease-man

grease-man

Apr 9, 2006
    Rick, thanks for posting this thread...I've already learned from it! :thumbup:

I do have a question though...What is that stiching palm thingy used for? I feel dumb for asking, but I can't picture it in my head! :eek: Thanks. -Matt-

10. Rick Marchand

Jan 6, 2005

Essentially it is a thimble to push the needle through the thick leather.

Here is a link to one, if anyone is interested...

Sewing Palm

Rick

11. d_filgate

d_filgate

Nov 28, 2007
    Rick,
    I sent a second email using the email address of your website.

Cheers
    Dave

12. bikermikearchery

bikermikearchery

Jan 18, 2007
    triple needle stiching.
    [​IMG]
    I'm never quite sute if my pictures are going to show the detail.

13. Rick Marchand

Jan 6, 2005
    That's just cool, Mike.... I'l have to look up that technique.

Rick

14. 69_knives

69_knives

Nov 20, 2008
    I do a lot of the things the same except I use a divider set at the stitch spacing to mark the needle holes and I use a small precision screwdriver that I sharpened up to a fine awl point and hammer it through the leather to make the holes. I made myself a leather thimble type thing that is hardened by soaking with a bit of water and heated up.

I use a variation of the 2 needle technique but I only use one needle. I start at the tip and work up one side and back down, over stitch back up the same side one or two holes, thread the needle with the remaining half and do the same up the other side.

15. Allen Newberry

Allen Newberry KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2007
    Nice tutorial! I dig that blade in the photo as well.

16. strahd71

strahd71

Jan 26, 2006
    rick buddy!

i cant thank you enough for this.... you answered alot of my questions!

thanks

jake

17. Phil Dwyer

Phil Dwyer KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 28, 2006
    Good thread Rick!

How does the drill press hole punch approach work with multiple layers of leather (front, back and welts) all at once? Do the holes stay lined up well and not shift much from front to back? What do you do so the leather doesn't get soiled by the press? (My press is usually a mess!)

Thanks, Phil

18. strahd71

strahd71

Jan 26, 2006
    phil,

it would almost be worth it to buy a cheap little press just for this maybe? or is that just stupid?

jake

19. Rick Marchand

Jan 6, 2005
    Thanks Phil,
    I clamp a clean piece of 2x4 in my drill vice to use as a backing. If your pin (some use a finish nail) is straight and sharp, it should go through with no problems. I only have enough pin sticking out to get through the leather and set the drill depth so the chuck doesn't hit the top surface by mistake. I have sewn 4 layers of 13oz leather (about 1" thick) without much wander. You will get it from time to time so drill your holes from the top piece so the good side is up.

I have also predrilled holes prior to assembly when needed. The overstitcher assures proper spacing.... but its risky.

Rick

20. Rick Marchand

Jan 6, 2005
    Call me stupid then, buddy! I have benchtop model in my leather shop I picked up used for $60.

Here is the exact model...