1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

An old Clauss knife

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by Mannlicher, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    My outdoors mentor, a retired minister, left me his belt knife when he passed. I have used it for better than 40 years now.

It is an old Clauss knife, probably dating back to the mid thirties. The leather washer handle is still in good shape, and it keeps a very sharp edge. I have skinned a LOT of animals with this old timer.

The blade is 4.75 inches long, and the top two inches are sharp as well.
    [​IMG]

2. untamed

untamed

Jan 7, 2003
    A very functional blade that still soldiers on! :thumbup:

3. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    That's a beauty, the fact that you have used it for more than 40 years is testiment to it's function and quality....great stuff !!!!

4. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    's a fact pit, and Rev. Lee used it for about 35 years before I got it.

5. Joezilla

Joezilla Moderator Moderator

Jul 22, 2005
    That is a fantastic piece. How does the butt cap affix onto the tang?

6. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    My guess is a threaded tang with a spanner bit nut.

7. AeroNautiCal

AeroNautiCal

Jun 24, 2008
    Not only is that a lovely knife with a great history, but the name is also appropriate for this time of year! [​IMG]

8. Anrkst6973

Anrkst6973

May 15, 2008
    aint that a beauty. with a great history too. Saw a knife at at an outdoor trade show that had that same type and color of handle..makes me wonder if I didnt pass on a real bargain.

9. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    bingo!

10. Jeff H

Jeff H

Feb 14, 2008
    Clauss is in one of the small towns near me. Fremont, Ohio had quite a cutlery industry for years and my Dad's Dad worked in a cutlery for years in another nearby small town. The Christy company was also in Fremont, if anyone remembers a thread about the Christy Knife a while back. I didn't even realize they were still in business until I did a quick search.

http://www.acmeunited.com/acme_clau/index.php

11. halo2

halo2

Sep 13, 2005
    I love old school patterns. That's a beauty!

12. Kismet

Kismet

Jan 30, 2002
    I love it. You are blessed to have the memories and the blade. :)

13. banana-clip

banana-clip

Jun 7, 2007
    Nice blade

14. John G

John G

Jul 4, 2008
    Sweet knife.

15. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    I have a very fine pair of large scissors made by Clauss.I hope the quality has been maintained even though it was bought up by Acme United.