Another Sunday hike: a mountain peak, outdoor Holy Mass and a hearty homemade lunch

Hi there! Been out on the trails today :)! It has been a while since last time, very busy weeks at work and got caught into the zillion other family issues. Family opted for the Country Club and the pool instead :D, so I went on my own. Left very early morning from home with the intention to climb up a "classic" and rather easy mountain peak I know since my childhood. Left the car behind the village square (950 m) and took the well-marked trail. The trail took me through a small hamlet first (Costa, 1113 m) and then through the woods of Val Grobbia and Val Borae, crossing small mountain brooks. Out from the woods, the trail continue through open high pasture lands with cattle sheds (Lavez 1508 m; del Cavallero 1747 m) and a rather big “cheese factory” (Caserone, 1859 m). Here, just about crossing the old border between Lombardy and Veneto Regions, marked by a boundary stone dating A.D. 1770, I met a few very "domesticated" Alpine Ibex grazing just few meters away from me. From here the trail gets much steeper, taking me up almost straight to the mountain peak (2554 m). Just a little snow left in the shaded areas now, Summer has come :)! A pause on a flat rock close to the summit cross, a short prayer and few shots at the magnificent scenery from the top. On the way back I stopped at a mountain hut (1987 m), now open for the season. Got a cup of tea to sip outside, sitting on the wooden benches and chatting with other few hikers and, as a surprise, I came to know the Holy Mass was going to be celebrated in a moment. Rather moving one in its simplicity and frugality :). After the Mass, I took the trail back and indulged in discovering and shooting at some picturesque corners of the hamlet I crossed on the way up. Stopped by in the village "Osteria" for a quick lunch with polenta and salamella, grilled on the typical slate stone, before heading home. Some pics, just to share :)!

107ql1f.jpg
15d2w60.jpg
ncctnb.jpg
282jchv.jpg
2uo74wl.jpg
2viqt82.jpg
kejceo.jpg
2vlkzkh.jpg
fz8com.jpg
eqxmyg.jpg
inwcnr.jpg
2hykqbd.jpg
168snk4.jpg
4u74lt.jpg
2cwjs5.jpg
33orznc.jpg
jkehpf.jpg
2hqrs3r.jpg
nd6hoy.jpg
24zcdcg.jpg

Nothing awe inspiring about any of this :D.

What a lovely day you had in a truly beautiful setting. Lucky you.
Glad you stopped to smell the flowers - so to speak. :thumbsup: And then shared it with us. :cool:

Cheers, Ray

Wondered when you would come out of your den ! Cooking on slate? I've never seen that here .And with some nice polenta !
Blue flowers are rare in nature . I have some Periwinkle here but that's planted .Pale blue with dark shiny green leaves , a nice ground cover !.
I came across my old SAK today , easy to spot with that red handle ! Mine goes back a few years -Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts !!
I'm playing with a new Bark River 4V. Do you want a photo of how well is opens an aluminum can of kippers ?

Fantastic day! Incredible pictures! Thank you for sharing your day with us!

This is spectacular scenery, and great photos of it too. The buildings are maybe the most beautiful part of the landscape. Particularly love the pics of the village and food.

Hi! Thanks!

RayseM RayseM : Thanks! Yeah, you know, the older I get, the more I cherish and appreciate these small things in life :):p. Pleasure to share!

Pokerchip Pokerchip : Thank-you! The blue flowers are from gentiana brachyphylla. It’s protected species. As a curiosity, with non-protected species of gentian they also produce here a tasty digestive liqueur, a kind of Gentian Schnapps ;).

L lambertiana : Thanks! Glad you liked them :)!

mete mete : Hi! Thanks :)! Yes slate stones here are very popular, from construction materials (roofs, flooring, etc.) to kitchen tops and kitchen cooking tools. The slate stone makes for a great grill, since the food is not directly in contact with flames :thumbsup:. I wouldn’t say blue flowers are rare as a category in itself in Nature but some of them are not very common and beautiful :)! Sure I’d like to see your pics about playing with your new Bark River V4 :thumbsup:!

Low_rez Low_rez : Thanks :)! Yes, was a good day! Glad you liked the pics and thanks for stopping by.

Currawong Currawong : Thank-you for appreciation :)! Yes some of the hamlets here and the old houses are very picturesque and a kind of paradise for the amateur photographer :D!

Take care!

Beautiful photos
VERY jealous!!!!
THANK YOU for taking the time again to share

Beautiful pics! When you said outdoor Holy Mass, you mean outdoor Holy Mass. First time I've seen a Priest wearing hiking/trail shoes I think...:)

Hi there!

WILLIAM.M WILLIAM.M : Thanks! Don’t be “jealous” :)! Surely there are wonderful places to visit in your area :thumbsup:. Many times, for me, it’s about taking some time for myself or my family and doing something nice. It’s anyway better than visiting any shopping mall :D:p. I just grab a rucksack, some water, a snack and a knife and be out in the Nature. I’m lucky my “playground” it’s just one hour, one our ½ driving from my place so that’s surely easier.

J John A. Larsen : Thanks John! Glad you liked the pics! My pleasure to share :).

gazz98 gazz98 : Thank-you! Not so uncommon for me :). In my times in the Scouts and in the Alpine Troops most of the celebrations were held outdoor! Some priest were really on the "woodsman" type :D! Also many Franciscans Friars here regularly celebrate Mass outdoors; a thing worth to notice as curiosity is that pets and farm animals are also allowed and get the blessing :)!

Thanks!

Take care.

Corn was first brought to Venice , the big trading city, the Venetians had no idea what to do with it. So they sold it to the Turks who took it as "golden sheaves of grain " as found in the Koran. The Venetians forgot about it for 100 years when it was again brought to Venice but from Turkey .Thus the Italian word "grano Turco " or Turkish grain. Now the most accepted term in Italian and Spanish is Polenta.
A fine grain for a base for sauces and companion for meats etc. I find it especially good for game , perhaps adding mushrooms or dried tomatoes.

Out standing once more!! Every time you post pics I go on a vacation!! Nicely done Herlock and THANKS!!! John

Great day. Love the history of that boundary stone. There's precious little history where I live.

Back