1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Anton Wingen "Othello" sheath re-do

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by P. McKinley, May 5, 2012.

1. P. McKinley

P. McKinley KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2008
    I just completed a total re-do of the knife and sheath. I thought I'd share images of the sheath.

Anton Wingen "Othello" Re-do

Blade: Factory blade with original aged patina on the flats, reground bevels and clip with 800 grit hand sanded finish.

Handle: Whitetail deer crowned antler taper with ebony and forged copper spacers, ΒΌ” peened copper pin and an antler bolt plug. Forged mild steel guard with minimal file work and an 800 grit finish.

Sheath: 5-6 oz. veg tanned leather with minimal tooling, full welt and polished natural edges. Laced belt loop harness with hand turned antler bead and forged copper tag with maker’s mark. This sheath has a buffed Mink Oil finish.

Thanks for looking.
    I welcome critiques of my work.... it'll make me a better craftsman.

- Peter -

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

2. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator

Nov 30, 2001
    Well done! The more I see of this style of mexican loop, the more I like it! :D :D :D

3. P. McKinley

P. McKinley KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2008
    Thank you. I wasn't sure if this could actually be called a "Mexican Loop" style. I thought it had to have a front frog. But, I've done a bunch like this and I like the look as well...... by whatever name.

4. sheathmaker

sheathmaker KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    Yes, that is a type of mexican loop, and you certainly did prove you CAN "make a silk purse out of a pig's ear", on both projects. Very well done my friend.!

Paul

5. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Is the laced frog attached to the sheath. How is it held in place?

6. P. McKinley

Jan 27, 2008
    Big - Its just a friction fit, although the sheath has a subtle "V" shape that helps.

7. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 19, 2007
    Oh man - I thought the FIRST picture was your finished picture.... Whew...

NICE WORK!

TF

8. bassinhuntin

bassinhuntin

Feb 1, 2012
    Very nice work!!!