1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Any G10 Tweener love?

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by UCPOPO, May 11, 2012.

1. UCPOPO

UCPOPO Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Just received a few sets of black G10 in the mail today. Tried to snap a few quick pictures while there was a break in the rain. I love the look, the extra weight and the extra thickness. It really gives it more of a feel simular to a Bark River Bravo. I plan on doing some file work to them to create a little more texture to improve the grip. What do you guys think of them?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. brward

brward

Apr 9, 2012
    Thats funny! I asked a similar question earlier about g10 and beckers and came across this! They look great! Where did you get them from if i might ask?

3. MrKnifekid

MrKnifekid

Aug 1, 2011
    Awesome.

Nut how do they compare in size/ thickness/ shape to the stock scales?

Thanks.

4. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    I like G10 as a handle material, but hate working with it.
    Bet it's awesome on a tweener.

5. brward

brward

Apr 9, 2012
    What makes it so hard to work with? I am considering doing something like this to my bk7 and bk2 when it comes in.

6. The Warrior

The Warrior Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Very cool.

7. Catmouth

Catmouth

Apr 3, 2012
    Looks really good. man you must have some meathooks on you. Those badboys are thick!

8. orangish ducktape

orangish ducktape

Oct 26, 2011
    Very cool, could you email me who made them?
    Thanks,

-orangish ducktape

9. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    it's hell on cutting tools. dulls 'em quick - like bandsaw blades, files.
    I had a nice chat with Paul LeTourneau (PMLknives here) about G10, and our conclusion was that high-speed aggressive abrasives are the way to go to shape G10. Also, the dust is NASTY (glue-covered glass powder). Some day I'll have the right machine. But if you're thinking about hand-sanding, sawing, and filing - stick with micarta or wood.

-Daizee

10. CCMI

CCMI

Aug 4, 2010
    Nice!

Did you shape them yourselves or did you buy them as a finished set? Are these from saintcutlery?

11. MikeyJ

MikeyJ

Apr 30, 2010
    Nice. It looks like they would fill the hand a little more. I've got M/L sized mitts and I've been thinking the factory zytel is a tad thin...

12. UCPOPO

Dec 2, 2010
    Here's a pic of the Tommythowho wood scales(Left), factory scales (middle), and the G10 (Right). The G10 isn't much bigger.

[​IMG]

13. EdgedSteelAddict

EdgedSteelAddict

Apr 17, 2012
    They look great. I have medium/large sized hands and would like to put on thicker scales or maybe some linars. I would like to see what you do to those after your done. Thanks for posting.

14. CamH_16

CamH_16

Feb 5, 2012
    Surprised you find that cos in my experience micarta is much harder to work with.

UCPO, I'll have some form of G-10 on my 15 and 17 when I get them eventually but for the 16 I'm sticking with micarta. As for your G-10, I dont like buffed micarta or G-10 but overall that looks very well made and like you said looks like a BRKT type handle now.

15. UCPOPO

Dec 2, 2010
    I actually agree with ya Cam, G10 seems easier to work with then micarta to me. They are too slick for my taste so I will rough them up and do some file work to them.

16. tman038

tman038

Dec 21, 2011
    looks really good. are they from Saint on Fleaby?

17. Goose_52

Goose_52

Feb 8, 2009
    That is a pretty sweet lookin blade. :thumbup:

18. DJG097

DJG097

Apr 19, 2009
    Another reason why I need a tweener....