Any Opinel love? (Updated pics)

Pàdruig

Reap What You Sow
Platinum Member
So my younger brother and I have always been close, but since our dad passed, we both have made a better effort at keeping in touch in general. Though we live in the same city (or town, depending on one's perspective), life still tends to keep us busy and we both have our own paths to walk. Though we both share an affinity for tools, blades, and metal things in general, are tastes are still pretty different. Where I like larger, stouter knives and bigger, heavier axes and hammers, he prefers finer, subtler blades and adopts a bit more of a minimalist approach. That all being said, we both are of a mind that there is a right tool for every job and we do our best to apply that in every aspect of our respective work and projects.

My little bro took the loss of our dad pretty hard and it didn't help much that he wasn't able to obtain any sort of keepsake to remember him by. So I decided to remedy that and get him a knife. My only trouble was in selecting the right one. My dad had a pretty varied collection of knives, none of them having all that much value. However, aside from the few multi-tools he had, he always adhered to a pretty simple criteria that I have mentioned before; carbon steel, simple to use, not pretty or fancy. I was initially set on getting my brother a Buck 110, a solid knife that comes with a sturdy belt sheath. However, the more I considered it, the more I thought that something was off. My dad owned maybe one lockback knife and I remember him not liking it much at all, plus he would have never used a belt sheath, he would just toss that bad boy in his pocket. So with that, I went back to the drawing board.

My search brought me to Opinel. I had never heard of Opinel until a couple years ago when I was looking for a new knife to accompany me whilst mushroom hunting. That being said, I kind of filed it away and didn't think of them again until rather recently. As I started to delve into the history of Opinel knives, the more and more convinced I became that this is the knife that would be a good representation of our dad. Carbon steel blade, simple function and design, impeccable craftsmanship, and arguably one of the best values out there. A working man's knife for a working man. Perfect fit for not only my dad, but my brother too. If our dad was still around, I would be getting him one as well.

So I ordered the Opinel Carbone No. 09 and it just arrived today. I have not handled a Opinel before and I have to say, I am so very impressed with it. It is comfortable, elegant in its simplicity, and beautifully functional. I will be making a leather pocket sheath for this with some personalization and will update this thread with a pic when its finished later this week.

Hopefully my brother will like it.

pUSeghw.jpg

I made some pocket sheaths for these gift Opinels.

Atx2tZj.jpg

(Just realized this got long-winded, sorry guys...)

Last edited:
I have three Opinels; two carbon and one stainless (#6,7,8). They will sharpen to shave the hair off a knats arse. A little vasoline in the pivot will loosen it up some; the handles have a tendency to swell in damp weather or if they get wet making them harder to open. The vasoline and then seal the top end of the knife with clear nail polish will help. I also modified mine with a Dremel rotary sander and made them more like an easy opener. Great knives. Welcome to the Opi family.

Rich

Agree completely with Rich, except I have not tried to modify my Opi's. I have about half a dozen at any given time. Right now I think I have two Olive 6's, one Beech 6, two beech 7's and one each Olive and Beech 8's. I also have a Cocobolo 8, in a nice wood box and sheath, I intend to give to someone when the occasion arises. Along the lines of your post I think knives make a great gift and Opinels every bit as much as most folks have no idea about them.

I like the history and the romance around these knives going back to the 1800's in France. I also like the fact that when one slips out of my hands on the boat and sinks to the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay, it's only $10 or so?

I do wish they made the carbone" in other woods. They tell me it is because the oils in the more exotic woods will adversely affect the carbon steel. < Like what doesn't?

Anyway: Lots of Opinel love here and I think you made a great choice.

I have three Opinels; two carbon and one stainless (#6,7,8). They will sharpen to shave the hair off a knats arse. A little vasoline in the pivot will loosen it up some; the handles have a tendency to swell in damp weather or if they get wet making them harder to open. The vasoline and then seal the top end of the knife with clear nail polish will help. I also modified mine with a Dremel rotary sander and made them more like an easy opener. Great knives. Welcome to the Opi family.

Rich

Ahem,

ATTENTION bladeforums users: Paging pinnah, I repeat, paging pinnah, that is all.

Thanks guys for the feedback and the tips. I will pass them along to my brother when I give him the knife. After handling this knife, I am going to have to get a few of my own and will definitely play around some, utilizing your suggestions.

Ahem,

ATTENTION bladeforums users: Paging pinnah, I repeat, paging pinnah, that is all.

I am not familiar with pinnah, hopefully I am not stirring up anything negative...

Pàdruig;16722101 said:
Thanks guys for the feedback and the tips. I will pass them along to my brother when I give him the knife. After handling this knife, I am going to have to get a few of my own and will definitely play around some, utilizing your suggestions.

I am not familiar with pinnah, hopefully I am not stirring up anything negative...

Not at all, he likes opinels... alot.

I've had a love/hate relationship with them since 1982. But I always have one around, so I must like them enough to keep one around. They do cut like the dickens!
16402557396_bae911b0fc_c.jpg
[/url]

Some people even team them up with small Leatherman tools!
30551859173_67401f8b2b_c.jpg
[/url]

I'm definitely fond of them. Fantastic slicers, easy to sharpen and maintain, inexpensive enough that you don't care if something happens to it.

For anyone interested in a size comparison, here's a lineup of Nos. 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.

61C1D6E3-DBF3-4A7C-A266-1783A8F4AC9D.jpg

D7572F7C-E08F-454A-BCCA-B8ECD04E8EF4.jpg

Reactions: vba
Opinels brought me to this forum. Well, Opinels and Moras. I have been using Opinels for well over forty years. I never carried them in my pocket much, but always had one tucked away somewhere on my touring bikes.

Since I am somewhat lacking in imagination, it never occurred to me that they could be easily modified to make them ride easier in the pocket. That is a trick I picked up here. These days I always carry at least a couple of knives, and one of them is almost always a carbon 6 or 8.

YnysUR.jpg

This 7 is the oldest one I still have around, probably from around 1978.

zFJZ1B.jpg

Last edited:
I've heard that a couple day soak in mineral oil will keep the pivot from sticking in humid weather. ..
I just soaked it with some Ballstol, removed the lock ring to clean off the excess and went with it.

Haven't reshaped a handle yet but certainly have it in mind.

Currently EDC an 8 in carbon and it is sharper than the utility knife that I open boxes with!

Recently re-acquired one and its been great though I do wish the made like a badass version with micarta/g10 scaleswith a pocket clip and ez open cut out not tactical or anything silly like that but a few refinements

5427207768724c5fa14b89c781ebb2af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich

I usually just spread the inner ring a bit and they loosen up nicely. They are nice a liitle looser in my opinion.

OP, there is plenty of Opinel love around here. Wow do they come sharp and cut like a mother. I love the locking system, so simple, so effective. Everyone should own them (and mora like you said) if not just for the incredible price.

Melt a good dollop of wax (hard floor wax like Johnsons is ideal, but even candle wax might work if you get it hot enough) into the blade slot with a hot air dryer to seal/lube the pivot. Great knives, great design. Cut like a scalpel.

Opinels are great knives. Here's my No. 10 alongside an equally large burger:

95339714cb590b77f7d36e6c9e7277d2.jpg

It's definitely worth giving if some sort of sealing treatment so that the handle doesn't swell when exposed to moisture. I think there may be as many methods of doing that as there are Opinel carriers. ;)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28597626/tuning-opinels.txt

Here is Pinnah's great link on tuning the Opinel.

I find the stainless Opinel's 12c27 steel to be one of the best budget stainless steels out there. Decent, solid, inexpensive knives beg to be used.

I'm a 61 year old fart whose been carrying a #7 again lately and am finding that millennials like them. So it's a "hipster" knife too.

I'm very keen on them! An iconic French Traditional knife that's used around the world.

Simple construction: no spring, liners to add weight or get fouled up. No nail breaker here nor any worries about W&T. Effective and robust locking collar which adds to safety (you can remove them if you're minded) Thick rounded handle which is light in the pocket but comfortable for prolonged use. You can also mod the handles or carve them to personalise your knife. Inexpensive but QUALITY carbon or Sandvik stainless.

Myself I prefer the stainless as I use them for food. I have a No.8 I use in the kitchen and a No.6 for pocket carry, an ideal small knife 9cm / 3.5" closed. Both of these are in Bubinga wood a nice hard wood with dark red mahogany colour, very durable when wet. The bigger one actually has a STAMPED blade with Opinel and the crowned hand motif, a cool addition! Had these for years, they show no wear either.

I certainly don't favour these 'if you only had one knife' type threads, but an Opinel could multi task nearly any cutting job, depending on the size of Opinel you choose.

Back