1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Anyone a fan of NBC'c Revolution??

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by brewcitymike, Oct 21, 2012.

1. brewcitymike

brewcitymike

Aug 26, 2011
    I recently caught a couple episodes of it and I thought it was pretty cool. I think should a solar flare ever ever cause a similar occurrence we wouldn't freak out and let society fall like they did, but it's still kinda interesting to see how life might be w/o any power. Though wouldn't they still be able to produce solar power?? I've only seen about half of the show so far so I'm not sure if they ever explained why it wasn't just grid power, but ALL forms of battery power etc. I think about the solar flare back in like January that had a significant effect on the planet by screwing up communication and even caused many flights to be rerouted. And it was only a medium size flare. So what do you guys think of the show? What would you do in a world w/o power? Do any aspects of the show come off as realistic to you? Obviously the country getting broken into a few 'republics' and territories is far fetched. Oh and did they explain yet how Monroe cam to power?, cuz he was just a nobody sargent when the blackout hit.

2. Foilist

Foilist

Dec 20, 2004
    I've been watching it On Demand on the weekends.

One thing I don't get is the percussion cap muskets. If there is powder and primer material, why not just reload cartridges?

3. slimshaneee

slimshaneee

Jun 24, 2008
    I like the idea of the power going out, the idea or the show. Everything after that seemed very much like existing ideas about apocalypse scenarios.

Only cheesier.

I thought it stunk and only made it through four episodes before I had to give it up.

My wife said it was going to be taken off the air after she watched one episode.

4. dipbait

dipbait

Feb 9, 2008
    I didnt make it through the first episode.

5. Foilist

Foilist

Dec 20, 2004
    Jericho was a much better SHTF series.

6. fuzzwuzz133

fuzzwuzz133

May 30, 2012
    I loved Jericho. This. . .the girl bugs me. I don't know why or how. She just reminds me of spoiled modern day brats.

7. slimshaneee

slimshaneee

Jun 24, 2008
    The girl is irritating. That and how this normal looking drunk with a horrible attitude is supposed to be some master of swordplay and can kill 54 people by himself many times an episode.

8. coaldigger

coaldigger

Jan 27, 2007
    It's ok...but alot of things are kinda crazy...like someone said what about solar power ? & the old time weapons....muskets & swords ? I mean, just because the power is out doesn't mean we don't have modern weapons. Some of the show makes you think about how things would be & some of the show is just stupid. I like to watch HillBilly Blood !

9. jukrui

jukrui

Jan 24, 2012
    Not a fan. I want to like it, but I can't. That being said they keep leaving cliffhangers that keeping me coming back, just to know why. Read the book "one second after.". Great book.

10. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    Agree with everything here.

To me it seems like Terra Nova all over again, a show with an interesting back story ruined in production (additionally, they have quite a few motifs in common, each used a big name with an E.P credit to draw in fans (JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg), and there are lots more parallels). Like your wife says and as happened with Terra Nova, I don't see it getting renewed.

Also it seems like a watered down ripoff of the book Dies the Fire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dies_the_Fire), which is a nice piece of survivalism lit for those who like to read. The Wikipedia setting blurb almost sounds like a direct description of Revolution:

vs.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  11. RoyalM

RoyalM

Dec 10, 2007
    Watched a couple of episodes but really couldn't tolerate it. Annoying characters and large plot holes, if it makes a second season I'll be stunned.

12. brewcitymike

brewcitymike

Aug 26, 2011
    I definitely agree with the irritating qualities of the girl and I never thought about the weapon aspect. As if bullets would run out even after 15 years if only a few groups were allowed to have guns. I think a lot of it is cheesy but like Doomsday Preppers I keep coming back

13. lmalterna

lmalterna Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Funny.. from the hype before the show started, I was missing Jericho.

There was a British mini series of biological theme. Like Walking Dead without the zombies that was REALLY good but it got canned mid stream.

My wife is Filipino and asked me why Amercians like end of civilization and zombie movies.. I told her we just had it too good and got bored!!

Bill

14. Hesparus

Hesparus

Oct 31, 2004
    I'm a fan of revolution. There are certainly aspects of the show that I can see turning people off, but my bar is set pretty low for post-apocalyptic, sci fi shows. The question of why all of the power went out (as opposed to just power plants) is the central mystery of the show so far that is frequently referenced by the characters.
    Personally, I'd like to see them doing more bushcrafting.
    lmalterna: are you thinking of 'survivors?'

- Chris

15. SpookStrickland

SpookStrickland

Sep 27, 2012
    Me either.

Anyone really think after something like that happened everyone would be running around with perfectly styled hair and nice modern fashions? totally phony crap for the little emo kiddie crowed at home.

16. bdmicarta

bdmicarta Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    My wife likes it but it hasn't caught on with me. I am very curious why the power went out and why it hasn't come back on yet, and why it takes 12 pendants. I was hooked on the mysteries of Lost too and that ended up being a big disappointment. Revolution is much less interesting than Lost and with fewer mysteries. I'm not going to get caught up in the mysteries and get let down again.

17. Mrwhitetailfanatic

Mrwhitetailfanatic

Jan 3, 2011
    I like it.

18. lmalterna

lmalterna Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Hesparus- That is the one! I caught it not long ago on Netflix- great show... a shame they let it die.

Bill

19. Jester60

Jester60 Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2011
    Also kinda close to the "Change" series of books by S. M. Stirling (who also wrote Dies the Fire, mentioned above, using some of the same characters from the 'Change' novels). Great series of books (the last one isn't out yet) but more of a SciFi / post-apocalyptic crossbreed.

20. filedog

filedog

Sep 3, 2002
    Kreole - I really liked Terra Nova......I didn't have any of the problems I do with Revolution.
    Foilist, I'm with you - obviously the producers don't reload!
    RoyalM -I keep telling myself I can't watch it anymore, and then I do.......
    SpookStrikland - exactly. Nice clean clothes and recent haircuts.
    Also the women running around in tight clothes even though rape is a
    real threat.
    BrewCityMike - I think the idea is the pendants stop any electrical
    devices from working, even though they're not destroyed.

One of the things that bother me the most is the that the "bad guys"
    are the Militias, who want total control, and the "good guys" want
    the return of the federal govt.
    Another thing, and you see it in many shows now, is men are reduced
    to blubbering wimps, while the women make the tough decisions. I think
    it was episode 2 where the outlaw is towing off the families food supply
    loaded in one of the kid's wagons, and the husband can only beg the guy
    to stop, and the wife finally puts him down.
    Don't get me started on the multitude of bad tactical decisions they make
    like traveling through unkown territory wth their projectile weapons slung......

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012