are spyderco paying the inventors of the locks on sage knives?

it's just a thought that crossed my mind.

I've been reading the product description on some of the sage knives, and I'm just wondering if those mentioned there are payed since the lock is used by spyderco. or are spyderco just recognizing good ideas for the lock, and not obligated to pay?

I don't know anything about patents, nor the laws around them, so please excuse my possibly stupid question.

If the Patent is still applicable Spyderco will go by the book and pay.

If the Patenet is not applicable Spyderco do not even have to give credit, but yet they do. Thus the Sage line.

Patents axpire after 14 years unless the original one is improved upon by the original maker and therefore is extended another 14 years with a new patent number.

Note: different continenets outside USA do not have to give credit to the original patent holder unless international trade agreements have stipulated such agreement.

Spyderco is probably the most ethical company on the planet. That should answer your question.

IIRC, Michael Walker and Chris Reeve chose not to patent the liner and frame locks respectively. I'm not sure if Blackie Collins or Al Mar patented the bolt lock or front lock, but I strongly suspect both patents would have expired by now.

I also think some of the profits of the Sage line goes to an Alzheimer's foundation in Denver. I might need to recheck my most recent catalog, but I believe I read that.

If I recall correctly, instead of paying a royalty to the lock inventor, a royalty-size donation is made to the Alzheimer's Foundation in the name of the lock designer. At least, so far, since the patents have expired on all the locks used to date.

Wow. This makes me want to buy a Sage 2 and Sage 3 even more. I already own a Sage 1 and love it. The Sage 4 is a lower priority.

I have all four, great knives everyone of them. I'm looking forward to the 5th iteration... the mystery is killing me!

I have all four, great knives everyone of them. I'm looking forward to the 5th iteration... the mystery is killing me!

I recall hearing that the 5th Sage will have the Al Mar midlock. Deacon would remember if he's still around these parts.

Yes, the Sage 4 uses the Al Mar lock - "The blade and handle of the Sage 4 are joined by the front lock mechanism developed by McBurnette and his peers and popularized by Mar."

From the Spyderco catalog:

"Spyderco will donate approximately 5% of sales of the Sage to the National Alzheimer's Association Denver, Colorado Chapter."

Back