1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Arkansas Toothpick (by Allen Newberry)

Discussion in 'Newberry Knives' started by Allen Newberry, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Allen Newberry

Allen Newberry KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2007
    Last February on a visit to the Historic Arkansas Museum (They have a great knife exhibit!) inspiration hit me. After seeing this knife:

[​IMG]

I decided that I needed to make an Arkansas Toothpick my self. Later that month I forged it out:

[​IMG]

And I have been working on it here and there ever since. I originally was going to do a fluted walnut handle, but when I stuck the piece of stag that is now the handle up next to the blade I decided to change direction.

Here it is before shaping the guard:

[​IMG]

It has progressed a bit since this last photo, but I am without a camera at the moment. I am really liking how this one is turning out so far!

2. parbajtor

parbajtor

Nov 24, 2010
    My love for the Arkansas Toothpick started with my reading "The Garfield Honour" by Frank Yerby about 35 years ago.

3. Allen Newberry

Allen Newberry KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2007
    I haven't read that one. But if it inspires love for the Arkansas Toothpick...

4. Allen Newberry

Jan 10, 2007
    I just got her all glued up! And now that I have a functioning camera, I'll have to snap a picture tomorrow.

5. Allen Newberry

Jan 10, 2007
    Here she is!

[​IMG]

6. mykel m

mykel m Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2009
    You must get some big chunks of meat stuck in your teeth Allen. :D

Awesome toothpick.I like the stag vs wood too.

7. Allen Newberry

Jan 10, 2007
    Thanks!

You never know when your gnawing on some BBQ what will happen. My Grandma is cooking up some brisket for lunch, so I quess I should bring it along...

8. mykel m

mykel m Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Yeah,I can see you whipping that thing out at the table. :eek:

Sent you an email about the chopper BTW.