Art Knife WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I will do another WIP thread. This little knife is kind of a new concept for me as it is carved, something I hope to do alot more of. I've been trying to come up with something new so I think this knife is it. OK, first is the idea drawn up on a 3.5x5" card, the original drawing is on a piece of paper with several other designs that I will be making so I don't want to spoil it for you guys by showing you future projects :)Joking:)

1.jpg

Profile cut out, 1080 steel, 1/8" thick.
2.jpg

Ground flat.
3.jpg

Beggining to carve the "segments".
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

The carving has been roughtly filed in.
7.jpg

I didn't really like the spine of the blade so to make the design flow better I modified it. The blade is still rough at this poing and needs ALOT more sanding to get all the scratches out. All carving was done with needle files and a Dremel.
8.jpg

I can't come up with a name for this little knife, suggestions?

More to come, hope you guys like it.

Last edited:
This will be fun to watch unfold, thanks for letting us have a peek Serge. I'll be watching with anticipation...

well, I just now bought one of your knives here on Bladeforums! How cool is that?
I love the internets!

this one; http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763070
it was like half price! And after checking out your website and seeing the stuff you've posted here, I totally support your efforts because I feel that you have a really unique outlook on cutlery.

I like your name! It is a totally grasshoppery looking knife, and compared to the size of the grasshoppers around here it is a mammoth:). Two word names are cool:thumbup:

OK, todays work.

After finishing sanding the knife, I began texturing with a dremel and a carbide bit.
9.jpg

Everything has been textured and my name stamped.
10.jpg

Beggining to grind.
11.jpg

Both sides flat ground.
12.jpg

13.jpg

Blade has been handrubbed to 320 grit.
14.jpg

Then rubbed to 600 grit and ready for heat treating.
15.jpg

Blade after HT.
16.jpg

Now it's time for the handle. I transfer the design to a 1/8" thick piece of copper.
17.jpg

And cut it out. I then begin forging what will be like a "hood" that will go over the blade to help with holding the two parts of the knife together and will also provide a widened area for your thumb to rest on while cutting.
18.jpg

19.jpg

Then begin to clean it up with sandpaper.
20.jpg

To give an idea of what the knife will look like.
21.jpg

Hole drilled in the copper piece and the "post" beggining to take shape (done with a Dremel and files).
22.jpg

Assembeled! A groove was cut in the copper piece to accept the tang of the blade and friction fit (hammered in).
23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Hope you guys like it so far, more tomorrow.

Serge is clearly an artist who makes knives. This is fascinating. Can't wait to see the finished work.

John

What a fantastic imagination. You open so many doors in my mind with this piece.
Thanks!!!

This is just too very cool. Outside the box in a very good way.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back