Asymmetric Edge Resource Thread

Can someone please tell me if there's any advantage to an asymmetrical V grind? In theory, it should be similarly effective without the need for one side to be convexed. Personally would love to know if there is any merit in it being more durable/easier to maintain. Please let me know -- thanks!

in theory, easier to maintain...

However in my experience, even those of us with rudimentary sharpening skills can maintain an edge on INFI & SR-101, thus minimizing the need for any innovation designed to make edge maintenance "easier."

If you understand how to remove a shoulder & hit an apex from there it's a no brainer-- & that's where INFI really excels because it truly is one of the best balances of toughness, retention, and low maintenance of any tool steel or stainless I've EDC'd...YMMV

And additionally, unless you're some kind of freaking robot, any hand-applied edge is gonna be asymmetrical to a greater or lesser degree anyways...is performance gonna be either enhanced or decreased on account of THAT?...nah, not where I live ;)

So, I prefer a traditional edge treatment for the MAIN reason that my OCD edge junkie side had a hard time getting past....well....I'll just say it....the "asymmetric" nature of an asymmetric edge :eek:

Having said that, I'll end by recognizing that options & continuing innovation is just one of the things that makes Busse great-- I like my INFI in any flavor-- JUST BRING IT!!!!!!!!! :thumbup::D:thumbup:

Last edited:
I think the theoretical advantages for it's use were a thinner edge that was still tough. And I have to admit that every assymetrical SHBM I ever had was scary sharp. However, I was never able to maintain that edge type. I prefer v-type or zero edge. But as a performance cutting tool the assymetrical edge was pretty amazing.

The convex grind makes the edge stronger is all. Bussie sends all their knives out with a convex edge

I guess I'll just stick to my traditional V edges --- was working on my B11 last night and thought to myself -- should I convert this thing to asymmetrical V edge?! But I guess it's the part convex edge that makes it interesting/special. I'm not interested in convexing any part of it at the moment.

Many years ago, edge geometry some thing that the re was not a great deal written about. Sort of like the re-Introduction of pattern welded steel by Mr. MORAN.

Way back then the only book I could find in the l I cal public library, was the revered "STONE'S GLOSSARY" .

If memory serves there was mention of the asymmetrical edge on the DYAK sword used for removing heads.

My question is whether a left-handed person needs to be aware of which side is flat ground, or convex?

I'm assuming if the left side is flat, it will cut so the material being removed will be pushed to the right, away from it.

This is what Busse says about sharpening knives supplied with their assym. edge grind:

gT17kSAh.jpg

The convex grind makes the edge stronger is all. Bussie sends all their knives out with a convex edge

I don't agree with this. Unless it's satin they really don't convex. The sharpening would basically damage the coating on the blade sides.

I have coated blades I've convexed and about 1/4" of the coating gets smoothed from the belt convexing the secondary grind shoulders...

I love convex and wish all Busse knives did come that way.

I don't agree with this. Unless it's satin they really don't convex. The sharpening would basically damage the coating on the blade sides.

I have coated blades I've convexed and about 1/4" of the coating gets smoothed from the belt convexing the secondary grind shoulders...

I love convex and wish all Busse knives did come that way.

I had called and talked to someone at Busse. I was given incorrect information.

Back