At The Ready (ATR) Anyone

Which is one of the reasons I would like to see it back in production because there are a lot of serious Spyderco fans who would love the chance to get a real coveted classic Spyder.

I wouldn't want to take away any of the exclusivity or value of original ATR owners (I do not own one,) but Id love to see a return of a Ti ATR, an ATR Ti 2 if you will.

Dont think itll happen, because It might require more effort and money into degsine and tooling to get it done than itd be worth... A guy can have his dreams though, right?

Anyways, G10 might be a better option anyway. Lighter, cheeper on an already expensive peice, grippier, the like. Im not in any way complaining about G10, just saying Id buy a Ti one too.

I wouldn't want to take away any of the exclusivity or value of original ATR owners (I do not own one,) but Id love to see a return of a Ti ATR, an ATR Ti 2 if you will.

Dont think itll happen, because It might require more effort and money into degsine and tooling to get it done than itd be worth... A guy can have his dreams though, rig.

There were indeed production problems with the first generation of the Titanium ATR. I don't know specifically what the problem was but I think it was more than one problem because it seemed like I was hearing about a halt in production more than once too. I also think that at one point there was a supply problem >> I don't know what vendor they were getting the Titanium from but I had heard more than once that the supply of titanium was interrupted.

Like I said earlier I don't recall any of Spyderco's models being as hard to get ( even during the time it was listed on the main line up) as the Titanium ATR was. I believe that's probably one of the reasons that they ended up offering a stainless handled version>> it was less expensive and was made by one of the Japanese suppliers. Whereas the original Titanium model was USA/GOLDEN CO made and sported a S30V blade. It was one of the very first Spyders to have an S30V. It was also one of the really highly touted models in the 2003 catalog>> the same year they released the Dodo and the first Chinook model.

The story of the Ti ATR was really a strange one to say the least. Personally I loved the Ti handle.

I always felt like the Stainless and Ti ATRs looked like knives that someone forgot to put the scales on when reassembling. Seeing that "compression frame lock" always made me think that. Not just that but the holes drilled in the scales make me think of skeletonized liners.

I wonder why we don't see more frame lock compression locks. Did people not like it or something?

Thanks Sal, what an honor to have your personal welcome! Old Marine here, always a knife fan from K-Bar to here. I call myself jambuster because I'm always the one who brings a different song to the jam. Roger

Another interesting aspect of the Ti ATR and to some extent the stainless handled version too>> was that it was one of the very few Spyders ever made with the "Cobra Hood" feature that maintained a vibrant popularity. You could possibly put the ASSIST I model in that sector too. Because most of the Spyderco models that featured the "Cobra Hood" attachments fell out of favor rather quickly.

The ATR and the ASSIST both actually utilized the "Cobra Hood" very efficiently whereas it just seemed to be a weird form of window dressing on other models IMO. One other aspect of the ATR model that a few other Spyders ( very few) can share is that it definitely garnered more popularity after it was discontinued. Because I really didn't see a lot of enthusiasm for it during it's time on the main line up.

I still maintain that the Titanium version was much better than the stainless model IMO.

Back