At what point do you consider a knife "expensive"?

What does "expensive" mean to you?

• $50+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $100+

• $150+

• $200+

• $250+

• $300+

• $400+

• $500+

• $600+

• $700+

• Total voters
I was having a discussion today with several "knife" and "non-knife" people and we found that we all had vastly different opinions of what "expensive" means in terms of knife prices. I will admit that before I joined this forum, I considered $100+ to be an insane amount to spend on a blade. However, after hanging out with you guys since last August, my definition of "expensive" has jumped into the $300+ range. I now have no problem dropping anything less than $200 and was actually eager to throw $260 at a Kershaw Tilt last weekend. I sure hope my definition doesn't jump any higher, but there are some customs out there that are really starting to call my name!

Anything over $100 is expensive to me. Only cus I'm broke! If I had the funds I wouldn't hesitate to spend triple that on a knife though.

I start to feel that the blade is expensive and stop wanting to use it if its over 200 dollars, trying real hard to get over it and use my $400+ knives. Getting rid of most of my knives that were under $100 at this point. They just dont appeal to me and they are clutter.

First of all, your definition will continue to grow and evolve as you climb the ladder.:)

I marked the 600+ range as expensive. I'm comfortable with a price under that, and that is for a 3-4 times a year that I would consider doing that. My average range is probably between $100 to $300 per knife, bust as I said above.......

Once in a while I am willing to save my monthly allotment up and go for something that will run me above the $600 limit. I would say 1 or 2 times a year at best. There is a knife I am buying that will be just south of $1200 and that will be at the end of this month.

Now, why in the world would a person pay that much for a knife and what will I do with it. Well there are some knives that simply speak to a person and if it is possible to purchase something of that ilk, AND it doesn't hurt your finances, then why not? I'm not rich, but I am lucky to be comfortable, plus I don't have a lot of expenses monthly, and I love my knives.

What will I do with it? Well, I will carry it and use it. I am not going to spend that amount of money for the knife to stay in hiding. I am also looking at this as a knife that I will eventually hand down to my son one of these day's. Now understand that my daily knife use is very, very little. Most day's I don't even need a knife! But that doesn't deter me from buying and carrying because I really, really love everything about knives, well, most knives.:D What I'm saying is that what little I will ever use the knife will not detract a lot from it's value, but since it is going to be a life-long friend, it really doesn't matter.

I like all my knives because I would not buy them if I didn't. But there are certain knives that simply turn me up a notch; JW Smith, and Bob Dozier are two of the maker's that I am ga-ga for. Bob's folders are available and for the most part you will pay a premium price, and they will usually hold or escalate in price. John W Smith is a folder maker extrordinare, and his working knives are finished just as nice as his art knives. What's more they are reasonably priced. For some reason they do not seem to hold that purchase price and can sometimes be found for $100 below what they originally sold for, still in mint condition, and I cannot understand this since they are so nicely made.

But anyway this is the knife that I am speaking of buying at month's end. It is a real beauty in my eye's and is a model I don't think Bob produces much of anymore. It is the XL Folding Hunter, a 5" handle with a 4" blade. The titanium liners are framelock thick, and the micarta is from a sheet that was made around 2005 to replicate the original Westinghouse gold micarta that many makers used. Comes with a very nice sheath that is also lined with calf leather on the inside so that it doesn't scratch up the knife when being carried. It will be going back to Bob's shop for a pocket clip though as sheath carry is not something I can easily do, though once I retire in 2 more years then I will probably not leave the house without a knife sheath on my belt.

So I guess I've really gone off on a tangent, but I want to justify a purchase like I am doing to the board, but maybe more to myself!!:eek::thumbup::)

0ca1e931.jpg

After I started lusting over a ZT 0561 and an Emerson CQC-8 as my next purchases, my spending limit seems to have moved up a little. I usually cap off around $100 to $150 for Spydercos and Benchmades. Mostly Spyderco in the past couple years though. With guns as another hobby, it makes it kind of difficult.
:(

Agreed. I have cut back on my knife accumulation due to this.

Knives are great for collecting & using, but I can't justify spending as much on a knife as I do on a firearm!

0ca1e931.jpg
[/QUOTE]

My god.... Although I would never spend that much, that is one hell of a knife.:D

For me, anything over $100 is expensive. I don't think $100-$300 is unreasonable to spend on a knife...if you are going to use it! I wouldn't spend $200 on a show piece that I'll never use. I've found that many of the best value knives come in around $100.

Spyderco PMII and many bark river fixed blades come to mind.

If you would have asked me this before I got on this forum i would have said $100.Now after buying and selling different knives for a while i would say $300-$400 range

I hope we get a hundred or more answers, will be an interesting to see the distribution.

For me personally, $500 would be really really pushing it. I don't think I would ever go over $600 no matter how much money I made.

First of all, your definition will continue to grow and evolve as you climb the ladder.:)

I totally agree, that threshold seems to rise and rise the more you become informed about knives and what it takes to make a fine knife. It was not too long ago (maybe a couple of years ago) where I thought of paying more than 100 bucks for a knife was a tough decision. Shoot now I'm trying to tell myself constantly to keep it below 300 bucks as I realize the end is infinite in what you can spend on a knife.

The more I get into this collecting the more I realize finely machined tools that I gotta have, blades that surpass in quality and materials than what I already have in possession. Of course we all know that any improvement in quality and materials translates to an exponential increase in the price of said product. I'm not a rich man so I have to balance that need with the usefulness of the purchase, am I really going to use that 800 dollar knife if I buy it? Hell no I wouldn't as I still see knives as tools and haven't gotten to that 'investment' type of collecting......yet! It's scary as I can easily see myself getting into that and like I said I'm not rich so spending that much would require a ton of Top-Ramen on my plate for awhile.

So my spending level is 300 bucks, but I only have 1 knife that went above that which is a small Sebenza. That is a scary one as holding and playing with that thing you realize what type of machining your getting that puts many other knives to shame, at a cost. That purchase had me wanting more of the same, not necessarily the same fabricator but that same type of quality and craftsmanship. That's as far as I can go right now, heck I don't even carry the Sebenza too often as I'm afraid of losing that thing...

But I do have a bunch of knives over 200 and less than 300 that I use and carry without worry, that's my level right now. We'll see how I evolve...

My thoughts have definitely changed over time.

These days, I can carry and use what I used to regard as expensive knives.

I don't think $1000 is unreasonable at all.

Especially when you talk about custom folders.

I voted $400 and over. Not that I haven't spent that much and more on one. My average nowadays seems to be $150 - $200 for most knives. It is just that knives that price and over require me to save funds for a few months before purchase.

What I consider to be "expensive" changes all the time, but the number of knives I buy also changes.
When I first start accumulating knives, $50-$100 was expensive, but I was buying maybe 2-3 knives in a month. Now expensive is pretty much undefined, but I now buy mid-tech/custom knives, and only buy a few a year.

Now when I see dealers with knives $1500 and up, it's just kinda whatev at this point. I still know I can't afford them yet, but it doesn't blow my mind that people pay that much for them.

$250.00 is my limit, based both on my economic situation and what I perceive as value. I feel one should be able to get a high-quality, well-built production blade for this price (Bark River, Spydie sprint, Emerson, etc). For me, I don't think I'd get much more value or performance by going much higher than this in price, unless I was opting for a custom build or just felt I needed to own a particular brand. If my job situation changed (for the worse) even $60 would quickly become expensive....

Back