Audiobook Addiction (Suggestions Wanted)

I started listening to audiobooks a while back and now I can't stop! I am listening to these things all the time now. Taking the kids to school, working, sitting around, all the time. I have listened to all sorts of stuff both high and low quality: teenage type books (my wife teaches middle school), Sherlock Holmes, The Count of MonteCristo, 1984, Zombie stuff, people with swords and magic. Currently I am listening to Destroyermen. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hey Allen,
If you can find The Sword of Shannarra by Terry Brooks I think you might like it . The Sword of Shannarra is the first book in a trilogy ,so it should keep or busy for a while. Also, check out librivox.org, they have lots of free audiobooks.
Kevin

f you are into history, David McCullough's John Adams is fascinating. It is largely derived from John Adam's diary and some 1100 letters he wrote during his lifetime, and is the closest we may get to time travel. Imagine reading the details of Adam's first audience with King George III after the Revolutionary war, or Adam's account of sleeping in the same bed with Benjamin Franklin while traveling, or having dinner with George Washington and an Indian tribe. After reading it, I bought it on 24 CDs and have listened to it in the car several times. Other similar books by McCullough like 1776 and Truman are also fascinating. But I suggest John Adams first.

I am in the same boat as you, I listen to audible books through out my day. I got hooked listening to Ken Follet "The Pillars Of The Earth" and the three books that followed. I then listened to George R Martin "Game Of Thrones" book series. I am pretty addicted to audible books now.

Prior to that I was a big fan of Relic Radio podcasts; Sherlock Holmes,The Whistler,Drag Net and other radio dramas. The audio books are about my only vice other than knives.

Hey Allen,
If you can find The Sword of Shannarra by Terry Brooks I think you might like it . The Sword of Shannarra is the first book in a trilogy ,so it should keep or busy for a while. Also, check out librivox.org, they have lots of free audiobooks.
Kevin

I have listened to several librivox books. Some are great. Some can be a challenge to listen to, but the price is right!

f you are into history, David McCullough's John Adams is fascinating. It is largely derived from John Adam's diary and some 1100 letters he wrote during his lifetime, and is the closest we may get to time travel. Imagine reading the details of Adam's first audience with King George III after the Revolutionary war, or Adam's account of sleeping in the same bed with Benjamin Franklin while traveling, or having dinner with George Washington and an Indian tribe. After reading it, I bought it on 24 CDs and have listened to it in the car several times. Other similar books by McCullough like 1776 and Truman are also fascinating. But I suggest John Adams first.

That does sound interesting.

I am in the same boat as you, I listen to audible books through out my day. I got hooked listening to Ken Follet "The Pillars Of The Earth" and the three books that followed. I then listened to George R Martin "Game Of Thrones" book series. I am pretty addicted to audible books now.

Prior to that I was a big fan of Relic Radio podcasts; Sherlock Holmes,The Whistler,Drag Net and other radio dramas. The audio books are about my only vice other than knives.

The Game of Thrones series is one of the reasons I am as hooked as I am. I can't wait to see what happens next with that one.

Bill Bryson, A Walk In The Woods, it's a true story of a guy approaching middle age deciding to through hike the Appalachian Trail.

He's hystericl, the audio book had me laughing my butt off and some sites offer it as a free download for signing up with their site.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams another really funny book that started out as a British radio series first, (you can even find those on audio books, I'd highly recommend the radio series).

Another Game of Thrones rec. I'm reading the third in the series.

ditto...

Matterhorn, its a book about a soldiers experience in Vietnam, for some reason that is one of the books I have had the most vivid visuals I've heard it about three times now, i swear I zone out sometimes as if i were watching a movie.

The Stand, The Tommyknockers, and The Talisman, are great books.

Last edited:
Bill Bryson, A Walk In The Woods, it's a true story of a guy approaching middle age deciding to through hike the Appalachian Trail.

He's hystericl, the audio book had me laughing my butt off and some sites offer it as a free download for signing up with their site.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams another really funny book that started out as a British radio series first, (you can even find those on audio books, I'd highly recommend the radio series).

I've listened to the Hitchiker's Guide it's pretty fun. Haven't heard the radio series though.

Currently I am listening to Blade Runner.

I have been listening to Glen Tate's 299 Days series lately. Currently I am on book 3. It is a gov't collapse book series. I have enjoyed it as it is partial gov't collapse which seems more plausible than the everything in the world is gone when you wake up type scenarios. My one complaint is that they are several short books instead of fewer standard length books.

I just finished The walking dead series and it was awesome!! Now im on the Brad Thor's counter terrorism series.

I listened to The Rise of The Governor from The Walking Dead and enjoyed it. I probably should look into the rest of the series as I don't miss an episode of the show. Thanks for the suggestions!

I just finished up Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand and thought it was pretty good.

Great book, I listened to Unbroken and saw the movie, but as usual the book was better. If you liked "Unbroken" I would recommend "Fearless". It's a true story about Seal Team 6 member Adam Brown who rose to the top of the seal team ranks after overcoming a battle with cocain addiction. It's one of the top 5 books I've read or listened to...

im also addicted to audiobooks

Id suggest "the blade itself by Joe Abercriombie, love his stuff and the narrator is very good
Age of Iron was pretty good as well, and right now im on Steven Eriksons book of the fallen series, its good, though can be a bit confusing at the start if your not paying attention

Back