AUS 8 steel

My old Benchmade Panther has seen a good deal of use over the years. It is easy to sharpen like it was said before but I do have to touch up the edge more often than my ATS-34 Benchmade knives.

bushcraft.jpg

I have a Cold Steel SRK aus-8 and it's a 5 for taking edge and a 4 for holding it ....i think this steel is well underrated

taking an edge is a 4 ... Holding the edge 1.5
On a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best, how would you rate AUS8 steel?

Taking an edge?

Holding an edge?

I have a couple of knives with AUS8 blades and they seem to get really sharp and hold an edge for quite a while. I am just curious if there are (much) better steels out there.

Can I slightly hijack the thread and ask how close AUS6 is to AUS8. I think that's what my kershaw vapor is and you guys have described my impression of it exactly. Easily sharpened, scary sharp, won't keep it long.

AUS-6 used to turn up in a lot of Japanese-made folders back in the '90s or so, maybe earlier. I think I still have a couple of them. The memory I have of their edges reminds me a lot of 420HC (think: Buck or Case stainless). Generally, that means it takes a great edge with minimal fuss, and with simple tools. I've always respected most of the Japanese-produced knives, because they always seemed to get the most performance out of whatever steel they happened to use. Beautifully-slicing edge geometry, sometimes combined with some wicked toothy edge finishes. My first real bloody bite came from a very toothy AUS-6 blade that closed on my finger and left a lasting impression. That particular knife was a Parker-branded (maybe his 'Eagle Brand') knife made in Seki City, Japan, if my memory serves. I think I have one or two older Spydercos in AUS-6 as well.

The carbon content of AUS-6 is a little lower than AUS-8. In theory, that usually translates to a little less edge-holding capability, though with the knives I've seen, I'd say they're still quite decent.

BTW, I'm in agreement with most of the others here, re: AUS-8. Can take some very fine edges, and holds them reasonably well. More reputable makers can do a lot of good things with it (A.G. Russell Knives & SOG Knives come to mind).

David

Last edited:
end of thread, you just answered your own question, it's an 4-5 for u, what else should it do ?? I think it is excellent, certainly that out of tiawan

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best, how would you rate AUS8 steel?

Taking an edge?

Holding an edge?

I have a couple of knives with AUS8 blades and they seem to get really sharp and hold an edge for quite a while. I am just curious if there are (much) better steels out there.

has anyone looked at the dates of the posts in this thread??? serious zombie thread... anyone got a knife around here? put this zombie down! :cool:

My SOG Twitch II has this blade metal and is one of the sharpest knives I've ever owned So Far 6 months of daily use at work, no need to sharpen it yet so thats gotta count for something to someone.
Also, on the TWITCH I love the locking mechanism to keep it from opening when you do not want it to..kids etc.

Here is a very good video on the need for the locking mechanism on any spring assisted knife in this video he is talking about the TWITCH II inparticular ..my favorite EDC knife Never underestimate this knife due to it's size it will mess you up if you take it for granted .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY-RSMoSOOY

I can easily see this happening to me !!

Here are a few photo's of the new addition to my small E.D.C. knives.
SOG2.jpg
[/IMG]
SOG%202.jpg
[/IMG]
SOG%202015.jpg
[/IMG]
SOG2.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I have few Cold Steel knives in aus8 and all I can say is that they kick ass.Good edge holding combined with good geometry is what makes them sharp and cut well.Performance depends on heat treatment and blade geometry.

Now I've had several knives in AUS-8 and the best blades I've had from that steel were the old Camillus Heat,an old Vallotton model by Timberline, and a medium sized Crawford/Kasper by CRKT.

On that lighter note I bought an Enlan EL-02B three years ago and maybe it's the edge geometry and hollow grind.But it's 8Cr13MoV beat a SOG Twitch XL by a good margin and came in real close to the mentioned knives I mentioned.If anything I feel the opposite and find SOG to be the weakest link...at least in my encounters.

Edge sharpenability = 5
Edge retention = 2

Agree. I have two AG RUSSELL'S with it. Think I had a Gerber years ago with it as well. Personally not a fan of it. Takes an incredible edge. Just does not hold it much.

How does this thread keep getting revived again and again. It seems to die for a year or so at a time then just spring back to life.

Lol. I didn't even look at date

Aus 8 is the perfect subject to resurrect. It just won't go away. And there's a reason why haha

AUS-6 and AUS-8 were the 'super steels' of their time.

I used a SOG SW Ranger in AUS-6 for years without issue.

Indeed, it wasn't until I joined BF that I developed a mild case of steel-snobbery and began to think less of a perfectly fine working edge.

on a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the best, say maxamet is 10, and 8 being m390 and 1 being 8crmov where would you place aus 8?

Last edited:
on a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the best, say maxamet, and 8 being m390 and 1 being 8crmov where would you place aus 8?

I have quite a bit of experience with aus-8 and it always treated me good. I would say in general it holds a decent working edge longer then 1095 when both are around 57 RC. Certainly this is true when cutting things like cardboard and other highly abrasive materials.

Back