Ax head makers mark id

Purchased this ax head in a lot on eBay. Do not recognize the makers mark and would like to know who made it. Hard to see but it appears to be a deer with antlers and possibly some writing below it. It was sent from a seller in Maine.

It would be nice to see a more defined rendering of the makers mark if anybody has one.

Axheadmarking.jpg

This *might* be one of the older Norlund stamps. I don't have a record of it, but I seem to recall seeing one of ther axes with a deer on it once, and the last part of the stamp on your axe looks like it might be "nd".

That's very interesting. Had no idea that it may be a Norlund. I would have thought that somebody would have recognized it as such already if it is a Norlund.

Even sent a link to this post to the curator of the Davistown museum in Liberty Me where they have a registry of Maine tool makers and some of the markings found on some of the tools. I got no response from them.

Would like for it to be a Norlund. Seems that it would be an easy id though for such a well known maker as Norlund. Thanks for the input and I hope you are correct.

BTW, here is the contact info found on the Davistown Museum website:

For questions/comments regarding tool identification or other museum matters, please contact:
H. G. Skip Brack, Curator
at curator@davistownmuseum.org
or the below address/phone numbers.

Davistown Museum Office
P.O. Box 144
Hulls Cove, ME 04644
(207) 288-5126 Fax (207) 288-2725

I need to start working on Rock's Encyclopedia of Axe Markings I guess :eek:
I have a few "unknown" heads my self
Not much info on axe/hatchets stampings on Da Net

I have a few older Norlunds (60's-70's I THINK)
The logo is of a dude in a canoe with a pine tree in the background
Not sure about older Norlund logos though
It looks kinda thick for a Norlund???
Deson't Granfurs have a deer in it's logo??

Yep...there are a few unknowns with me as well but most have no markings. Shape most likely would give clues to origins of some of them.

This one does not look like a Norlund to me, but maybe it is. It is certainly very different from the Norlund Hudson Bay that's been in my possession for the past 28 years. Not claiming any real expertise here. Would be just as happy if it were a Gransfors but have doubts about that too.

It's even just an assumption on my part that the stamp is a deer. I do get the feeling that I have seen that logo somewhere before too though; just can't remember where.

I did find a reference online that showed the markings found on French trade axes, but most of those were just a series of geometric dots arranged in various numbers and patterns.

Rock's Encyclopedia of Axe Markings would be a nice guide to have around, specially if it were available posted online, lol.

That's very interesting. Even sent a link to this post to the curator of the Davistown museum in Liberty Me where they have a registry of Maine tool makers and some of the markings found on some of the tools. I got no response from them.

H. G. Skip Brack, Curator

This time of year, Skip is probably not in the office much. His main store is closed from christmastime until some time in March when he re-opens and has a big sort of openhouse. He will be out in the world, buying up tool lots and getting things ready for the store until then.

Purchased this ax head in a lot on eBay. Do not recognize the makers mark and would like to know who made it. Hard to see but it appears to be a deer with antlers and possibly some writing below it. It was sent from a seller in Maine.

It would be nice to see a more defined rendering of the makers mark if anybody has one.

Axheadmarking.jpg

I have three axe heads with this deer stamp. One is very clear and I hate to disappoint you but it is not a Norlund or any great axe maker from the USA. The words under the deer stamp read Made in China. If you want I can try figure out how to post a clear picture.

Hi guys, I know this is an old thread, but in the interest of information I shall post regardless.

I was searching for information on this makers mark because I have one of these 1+1/2 pound small axes and there is very little online about them.

This axe is much higher quality and finish than modern MIC ones. I bought mine new from Kmart Australia in the late '70s and it was a fairly cheap item as I recall. They looked pretty well made, and mine has a very nicely shaped head with a thin bit and shaped cheeks, reminiscent of the Swedish made axes, not just a splitting wedge like the new ones these days.

It came with a good American Hickory handle, and mine still has the original handle which is still tight even though it appears to be only glued in.

The head was painted with a light blue paint, and mine still has about half of it's original paint

It definitely is a bi-metal blade with a soft steel poll and hardened bit insert. The transition between the two grades of steel is visible and obvious.

The logo is a stylised deer in a partial circle with Made in China surrounding the circle. I cannot see any Chinese character on mine, the stamp is quite light and fades away on that side

The axe has seen light to moderate use as a general camping axe and tent stake hammer, and has stood up very well. The steel hardness seems just right for the job. It has never rolled or chipped in wood, although a couple of very tiny dings from hitting rocks in the ground when splitting kindling.

If I see another one of these anywhere, I will definitely buy it, as I rate mine as good as any general use axe out there. As you can imagine, it has quite some nostalgia attached to it, having been with me so long and accompanied me on quite a few camping trips with many happy memories attached.

I will never knock something just because it has Made in China stamped on it. The Chinese, until recently, relied very heavily on simple hand tools to get the job done and this one is totally up to the task

If anyone ever discovers more about these older quality Chinese tools, I would very much like to hear it.

Kind regards to all,

Ian

It definitely is a bi-metal blade with a soft steel poll and hardened bit insert. The transition between the two grades of steel is visible and obvious.

Ian

Bought at K-Mart in the 1970 it is doubtful that it has an inserted bit. It's more likely that it has an overlaid bit. Even more likely is that you're just seeing the quench line.

Please don't take this as disrespect. Are you comfortable in distinguishing between an insert, an overlay and a quench line? An actual overlay would be significant.

Back