1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Axe Head Types

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by the possum, Dec 11, 2009.

1. the possum

the possum

Jul 31, 2002
    Figured you guys might get a kick out of this. This is a scan from a 1929 Shapleigh Hardware catalog showing all the different types of axes they offered for sale. Lots of variety, as I presume the guys who had to use these things all day every day could really appreciate slight differences in design.

[​IMG]

2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    That's a super cool image! I like the looks of the Rockaway and the Maine patterns (go figure). :p

3. DWK2

DWK2

Nov 3, 2003
    Interesting how narrow the bits are on the double-bitted axes. I have used axes like that and also wider bit doubles, like my Gransfors. I imagine the narrow bits would come in handy when trying to get deep bite to fell a really large hardwood tree. I've never felled anything larger than about a foot in diameter and the Gransfors worked great.

DancesWithKnives

4. zombie_killer

zombie_killer Banned

Jul 29, 2009
    i`ll have one of each thanks :)

5. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    Thanx!
    Interesting for sure :)

6. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
  7. Liam Ryan

Liam Ryan

Sep 26, 2005
    I will take 2 Pennsylvania double bits, please, and some pipe tobacco and a sack of beans.

8. jds1

jds1 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2007
    VERY cool. Thanks for posting this chart.

Jeff

9. Whisker2

Whisker2

Feb 27, 2008
    thanks for posting both the chart and manual guys,

interesting stuff

10. catspa

catspa

Oct 25, 2009
    Interesting that they don't show my favorite, the Hudsons Bay pattern. The Rockaway is close, though.

Parker