Axe info

I have a nice double bit head stamped S. S. & A. Co. All I could find out was that the Simpson Scythe and Axe Co. was making axes in Oakland, Maine around 1880. Must be a rare one.
I also have a Canadian pattern broadaxe made by C. Hammond of Philadelphia and sold by Pritzlaff Hardware of Milwaukee.
Jim

I have a nice double bit head stamped S. S. & A. Co. All I could find out was that the Simpson Scythe and Axe Co. was making axes in Oakland, Maine around 1880. Must be a rare one.
I also have a Canadian pattern broadaxe made by C. Hammond of Philadelphia and sold by Pritzlaff Hardware of Milwaukee.
Jim

Pics?

I looked in Axe Makers of NA and didn't find anything that seemed to match. Simple stamp, two diamonds side by side. Left one seems to be HGB and right one 1897. Axe was in Maine when I got it, and is kind of a cool pattern, though it doesn't show it that well in the photo. Will try to improve that.

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

Another couple of manafacturers: Still produced- Keech Racing Axes/Keesteel Racing Axes/ Aussie Speed Racing Axes. Australia, I have a couple of these axes in my racing box-very fine peices of gear.

No Longer made= True Blue Racer (unsure who made them)
I know that the Kelly Axe Co (USA) was making the "Dandenong Kelly" which became a very popular axe, this was made in Ausdtralia at least until the late 80's, produced under licence locally by Cyclone Industries. Anything that anyone futher can add or indeed correct-then please let me know!
Another one from Down Under is Hytest-unsure if its still made, I dont think so though

Mann Edge Tool Company (Lewistown, PA)...and True American to the brand names. I have four of them. They where produced in several single bit and double bit sizes. Great axes that feature a true convex blade grind.
Double Ott

Last edited:
i have a hatchet that have a stamp Gewerkschaft CM Seebach ... is look veary nice, i`am curios to if some one now when (year) this axes are made ?
photojlh.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Well it looks like Tol3do has come and gone but I do happen to have an axe marked "Gewurkschaft Seebach". Gewurkschaft means trade union in German so it must be German or Austrian. I'm not sure on date of manufacture. Here's mine
IMG_2100-1.jpg

Has anyone heard of Allied? I bought one marked Allied "Titan" 1 1/2 today. it has a short boys axe handle.

Yes it does. That would be the exact one. I searched the board for "allied" but didn't
find anything. Does anyone know any background on it

upload_100000A84E60DD_2012.12.05%252C06%253A07%253A51%252C953_44732AAC.jpg

upload_100000A84E60DD_2012.12.05%252C06%253A07%253A51%252C953_44732AAC.jpg

Last edited:
Thought you guys might like a look at these two English trade 'hawks from the Royal Armouries museum in Leeds, England. Both from around 1800 :)

Here's a little hatchet head stamped "EVANSVILLE DEFENDER" but I haven't had much luck finding information on it.

8377623441_17bba96762_c.jpg

Back