1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Axe Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Wood Splitter, Mar 31, 2012.

1. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Got all my recents together for a photo shoot. L to R / top to bottom. Unknown Maine, Emerson & Stevens, OS Rixford, Snow & Nealley, Säter Banko Taz, Rixford MI, KATCO, NE Old Yank

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. BamaDADx3

BamaDADx3

Jul 1, 2016
    Absolutely love that 4th handle from the Left. Been trying to duplicate that color on Hickory Handle for while and can't get the same look as those nice old weathered handles. Nice Collection!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  3. trick420

trick420

Jun 2, 2005
    Made my first tomahawk last weekend for a friend of mine's birthday. I have a buddy that is a blacksmith. He let me use his shop and taught me the finer points of tomahawk making.

Can't wait to make another one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. stbob

stbob Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 8, 2015
    Here's several pics of the Gränsfors Bruk Small Forest Axe i just received...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Half a stamp is better than no stamp, that's what i always say...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stock sheath bad fit, blade very close to slicing through leather when placing on axe. In an attempt to prevent serious injury, i've ordered a Estwing #5 replacement sheath off eBay, hope it fits...
    [​IMG]

Looking forward to getting out and seeing what kind of damage i can do with this bad boy. In the meanwhile, it will be hanging out with some of my other bushcraft tools. The Gerber Sportsman Axe 2 and the Gerber Back Paxe 2...
    [​IMG]

Here is the Gerber Sport Axe 2 wearing its stock sheath and the Gerber Back Paxe 2 wearing its Estwing #1 sheath...
    [​IMG]

Update: Received the intended replacement sheath i ordered, an Estwing No. 5. While its a high quality sheath and far superior to the stock sheath, the fit isn't quite up to par. Its a bit tight and i could only barely manage to close one of the two snaps. Wouldn't want to run the risk of the one snap popping open and the sheath falling off while in my pack so the search for another replacement sheath continues...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  5. confederatemule

confederatemule

Oct 25, 2014
    Trick420, your Tomahawk looks good. I would be proud to be able to make one that looks as nice as that.

Mule

6. Samon

Samon

Nov 12, 2012
    [​IMG]

Dug a few out for a pic. :)

7. BamaDADx3

BamaDADx3

Jul 1, 2016
    My Kelly Works Woodslasher 3 1/2lb on shorty (cedar axe)handle.[​IMG]

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

8. prep4beginners

prep4beginners

Sep 1, 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG]

MY Coldsteel trail boss stripped and blued with a sheath/strap on the strap a ferro rod loop and a snug loop for an opinel 8 (carbon) :) the hickory handle was charred lightly and coated with a leather neck laced up in the back

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

9. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Yer killin' me, Coop!

10. scottyj

scottyj

Jan 29, 2009
    Hello sir. Could you please tell me what the second one down with the long white handle is? It is stunning, and I'm intrigued by it. Thank you sir.

11. Whiskey_Jim

Whiskey_Jim

Feb 21, 2017
    Kelly Works Vulcan 4.5 lb swamper I was working on.
    [​IMG]
    Had to run over to the axe handle store to pick up 36 in. handle
    [​IMG]
    Got her finished up last night
    [​IMG]

12. Samon

Samon

Nov 12, 2012
    Cold steel viking axe :)

Haven't began modding it yet, comes like that from the company. Very affordable too!

13. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    :eek:

14. Samon

Samon

Nov 12, 2012
    I hope you don't mind me memorising that design, it's brilliant! you've done a fine job and I'd love to attempt something similar at some point.

15. bronc076

bronc076

Oct 10, 2013
    This isn't very impressive but It's my first attempt at axe restoration and leather work so I'm kindof happy with it. This is a Collins I've had laying around for 20 years. I picked up a handle at the local hardware store and sanded all the nasty finish off of it, then I put some Black walnut stain on it for a weathered look, then a few coats of boiled linseed oil. First axe I've hung, it turned out pretty good. Tonight I made the leather sheath so it does not dull itself living behind the seat of my old truck, I still need to trim the leather some. It was fun, looking forward to finding some more old ones to clean up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Whiskey_Jim

Whiskey_Jim

Feb 21, 2017
    I have some bad news for you friend

17. SC T100

SC T100

Apr 2, 2014
    Yep. Unfortunately that head is on upside down. Pull the wedge, flip the head, do a little fitting, and re-wedge. Use the An Ax to grind video and/or PDF as a guide and you'll be good to go!

Also, you can sand the leather edges just like you would with wood to get nice clean lines.

bronc076 likes this.
  18. bronc076

bronc076

Oct 10, 2013
    Well dang. Guess I get to try again. :)

[edit]

I flipped it over, i'm going to call this a rookie mistake! :) I had to work on the handle quite a bit with a rasp, and I'm not sure if I'm happy with it or not. I might start from scratch with a new handle but first I need to try it out.

Here is a pic.

[​IMG]

Thanks!
    Rob

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  19. prep4beginners

prep4beginners

Sep 1, 2016
    Thank I love it
    You should see my bk2 and the 4 carry options it allows :)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

20. Whiskey_Jim

Whiskey_Jim

Feb 21, 2017
    What does the top look like? Hanging an axe takes a lot of work.

bronc076 likes this.