1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Backwoods "Crystal Lake" Chopper

Discussion in 'Backwoods & KFU Custom Handmade Knives' started by Riverwarrior, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Riverwarrior

Riverwarrior Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Recently, Bill received a call from a fellow named "Jason" inquiring about a hardcore cleaver-like chopper than could take plenty of abuse. This fellow didn't want to go into much detail concerning the chores for this particular blade, but his shipping address was "Camp Crystal Lake". Bill went to work and came up with a chopper for Jason. I went over to Bill's shop today so we could give it a proper thrashing. Bottom line: this monster chopped down a tree (26" circumference) in no time and didn't have the first ding, roll, or rough spot on any part of the edge. In fact, Bill and I chopped down 3 different trees and the chopper shaved hairs and sliced through paper after all the chopping was complete. :thumbup:

After we finished the chopping tests, Bill called "Jason" and informed him of the blades awesome performance. Just as Bill finished his phone conversation, someone else called him and said his name was "Michael Myers" and that he heard about a new chopper that Bill was testing. This "Michael" fellow put an order in for this same chopper and said he desperately needed it by October 31st. I'm sure Bill will hook him up as well. :D

Here are the specs for this beast:

13 5/8" OAL
    8.25" blade length
    3/16" blade thickness
    1095 carbon steel
    Green canvas micarta scales

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  2. bacustomknives

bacustomknives FULL THROTTLE / FULLTIME KNIFE MAKER Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 3, 2008
    That was fun shit right there now!!

3. bigcountry1315

bigcountry1315

Aug 3, 2009
    Marc you and Bill have all the fun.............lol.One of these days I am coming down to play with you men!! Congratulations Bill on a bad ass chopper!! Marc thanks for the pictures!!!

4. bacustomknives

bacustomknives FULL THROTTLE / FULLTIME KNIFE MAKER Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 3, 2008
    were gonna get high tech one day and do a video

5. mykel m

mykel m Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2009
    THAT IS MY FAVORITE BLADE SHAPE FOR A CHOPPER!:cool: :thumbup:
    Beautiful chopper Bill,f'in beautiful!
    I have one like it and sorry to say...one on order with another maker.:rolleyes:
    I even have a real cleaver I'm going to cut down into a usable size & rehandle.
    It weighs 3 & a quarter pounds now & is a bit heavy for prolonged swinging'.:eek:
    I'll bet the Crystal Lake is a real pleasure to use.

Thanks for the pics Marc.

6. bacustomknives

Sep 3, 2008
    That one is 3/16 doesnt weigh no were near that,its all in the h/t and the edge, it didnt take us no time to trash that big tree and 2 small ones

7. Riverwarrior

Sep 17, 2010
    Mykel, I just couldn't believe how light the chopper felt in the hand. It was wicked fast to swing as well. With only an 8.25" blade, it performed like a beast and brought those trees down fast.

8. IMWILSON

IMWILSON Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2011
    damn!!!

9. ac700wildcat

ac700wildcat

May 24, 2011
    Looks like a good time to me!!!

10. wasatchdan

wasatchdan

Jan 6, 2007
    That thing is a beast. :thumbup:

11. mobilerd

mobilerd

Jan 10, 2012
    Will this one, or ones like it be for sale?

12. Riverwarrior

Sep 17, 2010
    This one is definitely a "SHTF" kind of chopper..:thumbup:

13. mykel m

Sep 11, 2009
    Oh hell yeah.

14. Riverwarrior

Sep 17, 2010
    Mykel, this is one of my very favorite style of choppers. It's all about business. In fact, when Bill and I walked into the woods, the trees began to pick up their roots and shuffle away from us. They knew what time it was...:D

15. mykel m

Sep 11, 2009
    Yeah,chop chop time....

16. XanRa

XanRa

Apr 13, 2011
    I want one!

17. svbk556

svbk556

Aug 19, 2011
    You killed a tree;)