1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Barrel knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by silenthunterstudios, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Let's see your barrel knives. Maybe a little bit of history too. Since seeing one at a gun show a couple years ago, they have held my interest off and on.

Here is an example I found online.
    [​IMG]

Pics are included on how to open and close these knives, in this link. A quote of the actual article is in the next post.
    http://reviews.ebay.com/SWEDISH-BARREL-KNIVES?ugid=10000000002557777

2. Found this on eBay, just information. The link has pics.

3. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    I used to have one of those. Lost it during a move in about 1980.
    I know of no company still making the design.

Of all the knives I've lost over the last 50 years, I think I miss that one the most.

4. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Very interesting...I have never seen one. Thanks for posting.

5. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    Still waiting for someone to manufacture them. I'd like one of these a lot.

6. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Here's a catalog scan from a 1915 HSB Catalog

[​IMG]

7. Desktop

Desktop

Mar 24, 2007
  8. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    There is at least one custom maker of them. Can't remember name or where I saw it, but it was within the last 5 years.

9. 7rip13a

7rip13a

Jul 2, 2009
    First time I've heard of this type of knife as well. Always learning something new, thanks SHS!

10. cnas122

cnas122

Mar 23, 2008
    You can often find them on the %bay.

11. Sue Perry

Sue Perry

Mar 28, 2013
    I have one of these knives with the markings also on the blade "Edward Zinn" and the Elephant logo. It has the # "0" also marked on the blade, which I have read is the blade #. Anything else you can tell me about these knives???

12. PaulBosley

PaulBosley

Dec 3, 2012
    I saw one on that auction site in a mixed lot that also had a case round stock Mellon sampler. I tried to buy because another member said it was his grail knife and I was interested in the case. I know about what the case was worth but no idea on the barrel everything else in the lot was junk. It went to about twice what the case was worth before I gave up. I vaguely rember my dad having one when I was like 8 or something and I bent the metal frame somehow and it wouldn't fit back into the handle.
    And that is the extent of my barrel knife experience.

13. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    Here's a Jon Engstrom that I got at a small auction in the boonies of Canada. The Jon Engstroms are all marked 1884 on the brass liners regardless of when they were made. I seem to have dumped the pictures of it together.

Best regards

Robin
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe

Feb 14, 2005
    I did buy a new one a few years ago but I seem to have lost it, a really nice pice of knife with a curly birch handle. It was a swedish knife maker who made it.

[​IMG]
    DSC_0012.JPG by jonas_evertsson, on Flickr

15. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    ScruffUK has a beauty and will no doubt be kind enough to post a pic :)