Bass Pro knife sharpening?

The first handle maker we tangled with a the butcher shop was a water cooled 3" wide horizontal belt grinder. The guy who was marketing it was also a knife salesman. We suspect he would have given us the "tool" to improve his knife sales.

i have been using the paper wheels since 1991 and i have probably sharpened enough knives to fill a full size pickup truck bed and then some. the wheels when used properly will not damage an edge.

i have had knives sent to me for resharpening that were sharpened by guys that have the paper wheels (some calling theirself a pro only after having the wheels for a month) and i wonder how they even get customers from what some of their edges look like.

the best advise i can give is to ask them to see their own knife and if it looks like a monkey did it, i would pass.
you can see some of the edges i have done in this thread. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...e-always-done-for-free-Knife-Sharpening/page5

the best advise i can give is to ask them to see their own knife and if it looks like a monkey did it, i would pass.

Dang it, richard... if you are going to launch something like that at least give me a chance to set my coffee down. I laughed hard enough to nearly fall out of my chair. A monkey.... no kidding!

On the other end of the spectrum, our BP Shop has a fella in his mid 60s or so that takes a great deal of pride in working at the knife counter, his knowledge of knives and his ability to get them sharp.

They use paper wheels to sharpen at that store, and with a bit of conversation with him about knives and such he will sharpen your knife for nothing. Mind you, he won't get out any nicks, deformations, rework broken points, or anything like that. And after we compared knives in our pocket, he just buffed the edge on mine. He has a lot of pride in his ability to sharpen and it shows. Needless to say, he is probably a one in a million.

I cannot think of anyone I know or any local service I know of that I would let sharpen one of my knives. I never have. To me, owning a knife and sharpening a knife are just the different sides of the same coin. Just as owning a gun doesn't make much sense if you don't know how to use and maintain it. Sharpening a knife is a huge part of using a knife as a tool and you need to learn how to do that for yourself so you can keep it in top shape, ready to go.

There are some good tutorials on this site as well as good opinions on different sharpening equipment and how to use it. Likewise, there are good sharpening videos on YouTube. I would start at those two places.

Robert

i wish i had pictures of some of the knives i had sent to me over the years that look like a monkey did them. a few were actually done by the owners and not someone else. i often wonder why someone would stick a knife on a bench grinder with an 80 grit stone wheel and think they are going to end up with a decent edge.

Just a little off topic here, so apologies in advance. Robert, what part of SOUTH TEXAS (anything referencing TEXAS should be in caps) are you from. I lived and had a business in Victoria for 13 years, and chased bird dogs all over South Texas for a while. Good times!

Blessings,

Omar

Just a little off topic here, so apologies in advance. Robert, what part of SOUTH TEXAS (anything referencing TEXAS should be in caps) are you from. I lived and had a business in Victoria for 13 years, and chased bird dogs all over South Texas for a while. Good times!

Blessings,

Omar

Omar, I am from Houston but have lived most of my life in San Antonio. Victoria isn't that far away from here. As you know in TEXAS, anything less than and hour and a half away is "just down the road". At about an hour and a half away, we were neighbors! I have worked all over a great deal of TEXAS, and hunted in a lot of south and west TEXAS. Never east or north for some reason.

Lots of bird hunting and some deer hunting in the south part around Freer, Encinal, and then some deer in the west areas like Sanderson, Langtree, Ozona, etc. LOTS of bird hunting (white wing, some quail) all over in the Hill Country area.

I love hunting and our small town communities when I get out. Talk about traditional folks... try to find an old timer without a CASE in his pocket. Most women carry some kind of knife, if not in their pocket, certainly in their purse. And as traditional, most young men carry knives, too. Although they favor the large ones, you see more CASE or old Schrade folding hunters than anything else.

Not much has changed out there in some of those communities over the decades.

Robert

robert, i was in san antonio back in 78 when i was at lackland afb. i wish i would have had more time to look around the city.

richards the man screw bass pro send your knives to him, He is truly a master of sharpening knives and has done several for me, I would trust Richard with any knife wheither it be a $50 knife or a $1,000 knife I would trust Richard with it. Oh yea Richard the first time we ever spoke you asked me If I was a vet or a LEO and I said no , I didn't lie to you per say, i told you no because I knew you would sharpen my knives for free and I wasn't having that brother. I was raised If someone does something for you you pay them. and thanks for all the great edges you gave me.

robert, i was in san antonio back in 78 when i was at lackland afb. i wish i would have had more time to look around the city.

Like all towns, San Antonio has changed a lot over the years. Someway though, most of the people don't seem to have changed much. We aren't as blue collar and folksy as we used to be, but there is still plenty of that to go around. It isn't unusual at all to go to a lunch and see white collar and tie guys sitting with blue collar guys enjoying some good Mexican food.

And in just about any direction from San Antonio, you can drive 30 minutes and be back out in the country. Not bad for a city that is (including our "metro" area) about 1.5 million folks now. Some of them are like San Antonio was about the time you were here. Quiet, nice parks, and the streets rolled up around 10 pm or so.

Robert

Back