Bear & Son Knives Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If nothing else, its an American company and so Ill support them the best I can and what ever down falls they may have, maybe they can Improve on them. You never know.

I own one of there upswept skinner fixed blades and I love it. It takes and holds a good edge and the blade is thicker than other skinner blades that I have. I mean the tip is thicker as well. The sheath is well made. I love my Bear and Sons knife and will buy another if I need one.

Same here. No complaints.

If nothing else, its an American company and so Ill support them the best I can and what ever down falls they may have, maybe they can Improve on them. You never know.

I admire your motives but unfortunately there also exists the opposite possibility that the company will therefore figure the knives are good enough "as is" and not seek to make them better since folks are voting with their dollars to purchase them.

It's hard to place a bet on a company being concerned with anything beyond its bottom line. On the other hand, when market share drops it should tell them that they have to make some changes (one of which might be increasing overall quality and quality control).

I have a few things to say about Bear and Son. My first was a American Bowie with cocobolo handle and plain blade. I love it, it is great and sharp. However there are just some little overlookings to detail and quality. The tang had a file mark on it, like it had slipped on the grinder, it just looked bad. Also, the hilt was on crooked, if you looked at it from the top it didn't rest on the wood slats even. It looked like the miscut the wood and then put the hilt on anyway. Also, the slats are not the same thickness. It's just a little stuff but comon'. I have alot of knives with no flaws.
Second, B&S makes knives for Remington. I am a Remington knife freak, I support them all the way. But of the three I have bought made by Bear they are all either complete crap or have some serious flaws that are just embarrassing. First I have a Rem lockback and it's model number was stamped wrong which is a big deal. Rem knives are known for there codes and model numbers. Also, the lock did not have a satisfactory snap to it, it was just weak. The blade wobbled in the locked position, very bad! Lastly, the spacers and liners came loosed and spread apart with some light use. The pins loosened or something. There is no way to tighten them without banging up the knife. Also, the Rem Arms emblem etch came right off, you can scratch it off with your finger and not just with your nail. Very inferior! It was heavy and solid but did not measure up. The second knife I bought the blade was not as pictured, it was ground so that half the blade/edge was missing and the Rem logo was partly gone on the edge!!!! The non-master blade looked homemade, I could have done better! The grinding was sloppy and the surfaces uneven. Maybe they have a cheap labor force but someone is not doing there job!! WTF! Also, the pin on the handle was unfinished and sloppy. The balde was not sharp and would not get sharp! Emblem had same problem. I sent it back! Finally I got a have decent one but it still has some sloppy and uneven things about. the two blades interfere with each other when you opne and close each one. This causes damage on the blade. I just want to say be careful with Bear. I would reccommend hand picking them! Bear is hurting Rem's high quality reputation and standards. I am disapointed in both brands.

Swiss Army was mentioned .Is that Victorinox or Wenger?
OR is it the actual Swiss army?
OR some hokey company called "Swiss Army" trading on someonelses rep?

Swiss Army was mentioned .Is that Victorinox or Wenger?
OR is it the actual Swiss army?
OR some hokey company called "Swiss Army" trading on someonelses rep?

Vic and Wenger take turns being the actual pocket knife for the Swiss army.As for my opinion of Bear&Son knives.Well,it's pretty low im afraid.I went through 3 of the smaller soddie style lockbacks trying to find one to customize for a customer.All three of them wobbled liked crazy in the locked position.I have no idea how they continue in business with such horrible quality.Are some of their knives good.I guess,but ive only seen a couple.I had a damascus Bowie that seemed pretty nice.I would love to be able to brag on a southern usa knife company,but the truth is the average Rough Rider China knife is better and 1/5 the cost.Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back