Becker BK5 Fail!

I am on my second BK5. I love the knife, and maybe its not the right knife for me, but i have a big problem with the blade taking on a "curtain" shape...

lightbox

photostream

This happened while i was on a camp out with two of my buddys...i chopped a baton out of a two inch diameter green pine sapling, and that was the result :mad:

photostream

I sent my previous BK2 back to the company because the same thing happened in all most the exact same spot on the blade :mad: :mad: I am going to try to send this one back as well. Instead of getting another magnum camp, im going to see if i can get my hands on a BK2 or a BK7. Maybe one of those will make it through a camping trip....

Last edited:
Looks like it hit something hard like a rock on the ground or a hardwood knot, I know you say it happened cutting a green pine sapling but that shouldn't happen doing that.

I'm sure others will roll in with good advice. I'm also sure that when uncle E see this he will get you taken care of.

Nothing wrong with that knife. I call user error. You bent the edge of a BK2? Dude, are you Hulk or something? I can imagine no way to bend that edge like this in green pinewood... Crazy stuff.

is it just me or has there been a large amount of unhappy campers concerning beckers/ka-bar latley?

If you are to baton wood, which I do quite frequently, you need to learn the proper technique. I have batonned through countless 5" diameter logs (HARDWOOD) with ease. If you have bent the blade on two sturdy knives there are two options: Kabar has made a bad batch (DOUBTFUL, but possible).... Or your technique needs to be revised IMHO.

Get the 7, 2, or 9... they are much more suited for this type of work

Beckerhead #32

It looks as though you hit a hard knot or a rock. Hitting a rock doesn't mean that you hit the ground (though it could have happened and no one likes to admit it), I hit rocks with my Machetes over the winter while cutting up snow and ice blocks. The snow we pilled up picked up some rocks from the ground and mangled the edge of a machete or two.

The BK5 is a thin knife designed more for slicing, but should handle other tasks as well. There is a possbility that the edge could have deformed if the knife changed angles rapidly. This you might not even noticed when hitting the spine. The vibrations from hitting the spine can cause the hand the is holding the knife to wiggle which causing the knife to wiggle and it's wedged in tight. Something has to give and it ends up being the thin edge.

Since I didn't see it happen, I can only guess. And so I can't say that you should give the BK5 another chance or not. But I can say, if you want to lesson the chance of this happening, get a BK7 or BK9. Also make sure your back drop/cutting block is large enough that even a non perfect hit won't land the blade into the ground. Rocks show up when you least expect them so try to minimize the chance of you hitting them.

full moon?

Success.

Cedric, welcome to the Becker forum, brother, glad to have you here. Nice dent ya got there:D. Perhaps a green, hiddne knot, defitely didn't hit the ground with it, the edge is still intact.

Anyway, I'm sure you will be taken of again by Kabar.

Glad to have you around, keep postin'. :D

Moose

HOW DID YOU GET MY PICTURES UP??
but any way, lets clear some things up, i did not bend the edge on a BK2, what you see in the picture is a BK5. Call it what you want but, thats what i was cutting, and when i looked at the blade i was shocked, because it was like deja-vu of what happened a couple months ago. I was not using a baton when this happened i was actually getting one for my buddy, who was splitting wood.

DSCN1155.JPG

Nothing wrong with that knife. I call user error. You bent the edge of a BK2? Dude, are you Hulk or something? I can imagine no way to bend that edge like this in green pinewood... Crazy stuff.

Not a 2. That's a BK5 Magnum Camp. And that's a weird looking edge ding, especially for a 2" pine sapling limb.
Since this has happened to you once before, was it the same activity that resulted in the edge deforming?

I vote knots too, but that's just from experience. My BK9 from Camillus has hand all sorts of similar dings from knots, rocks, roots, etc.
With that knife, I've filed or steeled and sharpened. But then I can't exactly send it back to Camillus. :D

You didn't bend the edge on the 2, but you did the same thing to the 2 as to the 5? Elaborate, please :)

To get pictures up, just copy the image addres to your clipboard with ctrl c, click on the little framed picture of a tree above the response text field, a popup will open, press ctrl v and then click ok.

meat

green pine? or green hemlock? :)

was that just from chopping?

i've chopped through seasoned oak with a bk5 no problems. batoning too, but this is not a heavy duty knife for that. get a bk9 perhaps...

green wood is probably not good for batoning...

I sent my previous BK2 back to the company

That's what made me think he had a 2 before. misunderstood, sorry. I think if you destroy two blades in the exact same way you need to work on your technique :D

I remember bending the edge of my old scout knife in a similar way, while batoning. A hardwood block and a hammer brought it back to normal. But then again, that was a 10$ knife and not a 70$ one.

I do not own a BK2, (i said i was going to see if ka-bar would replace my BK5 with a BK2)
when i bent my previous BK5 i was being a total dumb ass and i chopped the antler off of a deer *embarrassing*

also, did you chop flush to the tree? that's where the knots are worst. as i've said in times past, i've bent an axe head that way once. those knots are silicated... ie: rocks... hard.

what i would do with your knife is find an block of hardwood and hammer and gently hammer that flat. it's what the russians do (hammer and sickle). with some care, you can get that ripple out, and after some more work, nobody will notice. plus it will be "work hardened" to some extent...

Back