Becker Fall Gathering chat thread

We could hand hew some timbers.

cIiuTzzh.jpg

I like where this is going. We need to be careful though . Alot of folks don't mess with axes much and there is a high potential for accidents, especially with tired hands . Let's just be careful and think before we swing .

I wouldn't mind seeing some discussion on what to carry, what all people pack in their rucks, etc... something along the same lines of what we briefly did for our EDC discussion the one time like 6 gatherings back.
To bad I Won't be able to attend Derek, Len and me Could do a class on How to attend Blade Show "Nord" style, haha..

I sure would like to go. But my wife just recently found out thru several ancestry DNA test that she has 4 sisters and a brother she didn't know about. Had to cancel the trip down to Uncle Es. Prioritys have changed. Next year for sure.

I am assuming we will have some forging going on, I got a copper grounding rod I want to bring for people to beat upon. I am also gonna try to snag a couple of extra large coolers from work for ice.

I am assuming we will have some forging going on, I got a copper grounding rod I want to bring for people to beat upon. I am also gonna try to snag a couple of extra large coolers from work for ice.

The coolers will be super-useful. Can never have too much ice!

All in all it is looking good.... I hope to have Gilbert run the roads with the D6 before the gathering .....I am going up to Beckerhead Camp this afternoon to do a preliminary recce, give the little house a dose of insecticide and etc........

A quick note but, an important one.....Get some permethrin bug dope now and spray the clothing you will be wearing....... hats and boots included and your hammock too..... after conferring with higher headquarters(Brother Crenshaw) I recommend doing the outside of any packs or similar accoutrements as well as the outside of your sleeping bag..... Crenshaw says that field experience has shown that after you have done the exterior of clothing people bring the wee bastards back to their hootches, homes, hotel rooms, automobiles, etc.. on tool bags, field bags and backpacks...... A little extra dab is called for...... Boonie hats get the gravity attackers and are therefore recommended headgear.... Kill 'me where they live-not where you live........

The peak tick season is passed but it ain't first frost yet...... the damn ticks are carrying some strange and fearsome awfulness these days and a few ounces of permethrin is a whole lot better, healthier, cheaper and less painful than Lyme, RMSF or the shit that causes you to not be able to eat meat for six to ten years.....Shudder, shudder, cringe, cringe..... Yuck!...... That ailment is carried by the Lone Star Tick....... Ticks.....I have hated them with a passion since I used to take them off our dog(and me) as a kid....... Back then in southern Ohio all that happened was minor blood loss....... Not anymore.......

I buy the Eaton brand by the gallon on the river store..... Less than forty bucks lasts me a whole season.... Smaller quantities under the Sawyer brand can be had at sporting goods, outdoor stores and Wally's.....That is less than one scrip for high powered antibiotics......

I will have some but, not enough for everyone...... Buy now, spray now and save pain, save grief, save aggravation......

E

Last edited:
Great advice. Been using Permethrin during the last few years after you recommended it. Really works. Got a bottle that always rides in the truck. Cheap insurance against all sorts of life-crippling illnesses.

Another housekeeping item.....

To those of you who got in on the great two way radio buy..... please bring them with you....

I am down to two that work...... extras would be good....

Thanks......

E

Another housekeeping item.....

To those of you who got in on the great two way radio buy..... please bring them with you....

I am down to two that work...... extras would be good....

Thanks......

E

if we know what kind, we could order more ... though some of you are likely not licensed ;) hahahah...

In case some of you wish to practice up...... One of the contests will be a try stick.... i know it is a repeat but we are gonna do it again..... As good a way to practice basic knife skills as I know..... There will be another contest or two......

E

Back