Becker scales: inexpensive improvement

I have a Becker 9 and the scales are slippery when wet and not very comfortable when it is dry. I had a 3" roll of self gripping tape (in black) that I have for my first aid kit. I wrapped the Becker scales with a few inches of the tape and it makes the scales a lot more comfortable and they are no longer slippery. I don't believe that the tape will hold up for long term use, but for a quick fix, it is not a bad. I am likely not the first one to figure this out, but I'm posting this just in case there is another poor soul out there trying to think of a way to improve the grip on the scales.

I took photos to post but I am no longer an active member to post attachments. :grumpy: When I get back in the swing, I'll update the post.

Another method that works is to stretch a section of bicycle tire tube over the handles to aid in grip. It's said to hold up well in the long term.

Works as advertised. My local bike shop gave me a couple of used/damaged tubes for free after I offered to buy them. The smaller size worked on my BK9 and my Kel-t PF9. If you try this, turn the sections of inner tube inside out and wipe off the powdery stuff.

I tried some of the self adhering gauze tape and it didn't last very long before coming unstuck.

I had never found a tape I liked. It either peeled off, or slipped, or exuded gunk. That led me to using the tredder tube bands for years. Not any more, I'm back to tape. And I think I'll be nestled here for a long while.

Self-adhesive Silicone Repair Tape Sealing Tape is the way ahead. It's an amazing substance anyway and tolerates a massive temp range. Here's the thing – IT IS NOT STICKY. It doesn't need to be. Because it is for wrapping round things. Provided it touches itself it will fuse. On the roll it is separated from itself by a backing film that you peel off as you wrap. If you didn't have that film you'd be buying a solid puck. The slight elasticity means that when you wrap something it bites down hard on itself and sets there in about 10 seconds. To remove it just cut it off as you would a to remove shrunk-on rubber sleeve. There will be nothing stuck to the knife handle. In fact, if you were minded you could whip a very fine underlay wrap of something for texture and seal it on with this rubber. It'll mend a hot pipe or make a torch more pleasant to hold in an ungloved winter hand [also improves the twatting-stick-ness] of those.

Branded, unbranded, I dunno. I get mine off Amazon for a few quid. Good for stuffs.

7106-ODA2WL._SX522_.jpg

Ah yes ..... Tommy Tape (brand name) silicone wrapping tape. One of the handiest items to keep in your car, household repair, and outdoor equipment kits. It withstands a huge temp range, is extremely flexible/conformable to odd shapes, and has high dielectric value (i.e. good for wrapping electrical wire junctions). I have found it optimal to maintain a goodly amount of tension on the tape as you wrap it to insure that it seals down on the previous wraps. Tommy Tape or similar silicone tape is readily available online. I've also seen it at home centers, hardware stores, & Wally World.

I have thought of this for awhile as I have a few rolls.I have a BK 11 it may work great on , thanks for the reminder!

How fascinating. Never heard of the stuff, but can see many varied applicat for it.

If your going to use tape, I would recommend Tennis Racket tape or Hockey Stick tape. Very grippy.

Ever see the flex seal infomercials? Flextape too. But yeah, just silicone tape. I use ranger bands (inner tube), but I may try the silicone tape too.

Around here that tape is also known as self-vulcanizating tape. It only sticks to itself and requires a certain amont of stretch to cure properly. I have a roll of 3M which works great. I am sure other brands have cheaper alternatives.

Any one ever try the tennis racket tape? It's what tennis rackets come withon the handles to add grip. Pretty cheap too.

I have found since I posted this that there are quite big differences between these self fusing tapes. I had been using the same type for ages [op cit]. That had some stretch but not massive, and whilst that was good for me it exerted no effect on the bonding process. Just laying one bit on another [or irritatingly, touching two bits together when you didn't want to] would do it.

My stock of that type ran out and when I went to get more they had sold out. I settled for a thinner looking one that seemed the same. It isn't. It has way more stretch. I think the label said something like stretch it 300% for best results. The original stuff that I have been using for a long long time wouldn't put up with that much, nowhere near it.

More interestingly, I am accustomed to being able to to up wraps over an original that could have been in place for months, and well handled. It still just fuses into one big lump. That wasn't what I found by mixing these two types. I found that I had added a bit too much top up tweak to a knife handle and that made it overly snug in the sheath. Ho hum, I'd need to cut it all off and start again. Not so. I started cutting only to find that whilst the new layer had fused to itself it had not to the original layer. The original wrap was totally independent. The new layer behaved just like what I would have anticipated an original wrap round a bit of G10 to go like. Splendid. I didn't need to cut it all off at all, just mah over zealous top up bit.

Heat Shrink Tubing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat-shrink_tubing

You can buy them in short pieces and wide enough for a knife handle
And long enough for plenty of spare at the ends, it shrinks!
Get it with adhesive inside

Slip it over the handle
Use a hot air gun, or a blow torch on very low
Start in the middle of the handle and work out from the center to the ends
This way the tubing can shrink and conform to the narrower then much wider parts of the handle
Starting at one end does not work and you get folds in the tubing

300% stretch sounds like its rubber based not silicone, rubber based tapes wont work for gripping, the oil from your hands actually starts to soften it at least in my experience it is also a lot weaker and cant take anywhere near the abuse silicone can.

PS-Silicone and Rubber will not adhere to each other either.

I have found since I posted this that there are quite big differences between these self fusing tapes. I had been using the same type for ages [op cit]. That had some stretch but not massive, and whilst that was good for me it exerted no effect on the bonding process. Just laying one bit on another [or irritatingly, touching two bits together when you didn't want to] would do it.

My stock of that type ran out and when I went to get more they had sold out. I settled for a thinner looking one that seemed the same. It isn't. It has way more stretch. I think the label said something like stretch it 300% for best results. The original stuff that I have been using for a long long time wouldn't put up with that much, nowhere near it.

More interestingly, I am accustomed to being able to to up wraps over an original that could have been in place for months, and well handled. It still just fuses into one big lump. That wasn't what I found by mixing these two types. I found that I had added a bit too much top up tweak to a knife handle and that made it overly snug in the sheath. Ho hum, I'd need to cut it all off and start again. Not so. I started cutting only to find that whilst the new layer had fused to itself it had not to the original layer. The original wrap was totally independent. The new layer behaved just like what I would have anticipated an original wrap round a bit of G10 to go like. Splendid. I didn't need to cut it all off at all, just mah over zealous top up bit.

Last edited:
Back