1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Beckerhead Mon/Wed Alternate-side Snarking

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by daizee, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Will that do?

2. mrn8

mrn8

Jun 8, 2007
    I can't stand alternate side snarking. Sucks for those of us without a garage!

3. Moosez45

Moosez45 Custom Antlers, Factory Knives... Moderator

Jul 14, 2010
    Yup.

Back to our discussion, I agree, right tool for the job. I have a few strikers, both forged and mass produced floating around in my kits. I also use a squared spine for scraping dry wood for tinder bundles.

I'm not gonna say that I use my spine more than the edge, but I use it for a few tasks that are a part of how I use a blade as a tool, and not just the edge.

Moose

4. Doogoon

Doogoon

Feb 21, 2012
    Damn I was so close.

But I believe Snarking should be done on the weekends.

5. Qeth

Qeth

Dec 13, 2010
    Man, I come back to BF and I instantly lose $49.95.

[​IMG]

I'm looking at you, Dubz!

6. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Sometimes there is a snarking holiday!

7. daizee

Dec 30, 2009
    Yeah, right now I'm trying to work another function into a knifey tool in another context. Two of my favorite pieces of your average SAK are the bottle and can openers. So handy for all sorts of light scraping, prying, and turning. I'd like to duplicate that in a fixed tool without it being an ergonomic nightmare.

8. Stark Knives

Stark Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 19, 2010
    WTH is THAT!

In on 1, BTW. :cool:

9. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2010
    In on 1.

10. Nsvens89

Nsvens89

Apr 26, 2011
    In on page one!!!! Just spent an ungodly amount on text books. I can't wait to be done.

11. Qeth

Qeth

Dec 13, 2010
    Innovation Factory Trucker's Friend and Handy/Rescue All Purpose Tool, Made In The USA

Product Features
    Handy all-purpose hand tool designed for professional truck drivers
    Cut branches, pry loose nails, chip away hard-packed ice, and more
    Includes curved axe, spanner, hammer, nail puller, tire chain hook, pry bar and lever
    Shock-absorbing power grip and fiberglass handle
    Made in the USA

It has a brother:

[​IMG]

Innovation Factory IF 232 HRT Multi-Purpose Tool with Custom Leather Sheath and Shoulder Strap
    Product Features
    Meets all four categories for a fire department forcible entry tool
    Includes leather sheath and shoulder strap
    Reliable, versatile, affordable, patent pending
    Lifetime replacement guarantee
    For police, firefighters and rescue workers, made in USA

12. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    in on 1 -- how odd...
    Moose -- instead of multicam spec ops, what's your opinion of the Texas Hunt Co walnut Brown 8" sheath?
    I may have a spare....

13. DerekH

DerekH Handsome According to my Mother Moderator

Nov 18, 2010
    I agree, no desire to have extra pieces around that might be lost or to try and keep up with. Besides, if I am wanting to prolong my edge and get shavings off a piece of wood easily a squared spine works amazingly.

Now one of the neater ideas I have see was to square a portion of the extended pommel on the knife, make it good and sharp. That would serve the same purpose, but put it away from your thumb. Now it wouldn't work for me, wanting to get shavings off of wood using my spine, but it would definitely work for a firesteel.

14. Jonny1280

Jonny1280 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2012
    First page glory!
    There will be jealousy...

Packing up to go spend a week at the lake.
    A much needed vacation.

15. Moosez45

Jul 14, 2010
    You guys ever see Joezilla's design, the Shango? Its got a steel striker on the pommel, and throws some serious gobs of molten metal.

Moose

16. daizee

Dec 30, 2009
    On one of my knives I filed the choil using a chainsaw file the same diameter as my firesteel.
    It didn't work very well because the choil is, by nature, situated across the plunge where you can't get an even curved bearing surface. But if you are doing jimping on the spine, the firesteel notch is a good option, IMO. You can dress the exposed corners to be human-friendly, but keep the inside curve reasonably sharp. I'm not a huge fan of that on knife that will see batoning, tho. Despite how it seems to be a non-issue on beckers and esees, for instance, it still gives me the heebies.

-Daizee

17. Moosez45

Jul 14, 2010
    Yeah, heebies is a good'un.

I've never been a fan of cutting stress risers in a knife blade, but that's just me.

Moose

18. daizee

Dec 30, 2009
    that's sweet. I was thinking of a similar treatment for a different purpose on an indoors rather than an outdoors knife. HMMMMmmm.....

19. DerekH

DerekH Handsome According to my Mother Moderator

Nov 18, 2010
    Never seen that before Moose, decent looking little knife.

Now, for the record, I started off having a separate striker for my firesteel, (County Comm straight widgy prybar with one of the edges squared up) but after awhile trying to keep up with the striker was more hassle than it was worth, especially when I had a knife that with (a minimum of) modding can serve the same purpose as well as another.

20. Moosez45

Jul 14, 2010
    Joe showed me the prototype a couple of years ago, and we used it on one of my 3/8" misch metal rods.

BURN BABY BURN.

Moose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.