Benchmade Support for Blade Forums

Jimmy :
Tell me the real deal here . . . I thought I learned a year or so ago that S30V was one of the few alloy steels to be developed / engineered FOR knife blades. Now I know the S35V was but specifically wasn't S30V ?

I don't have much experience with it; my only example is a safe queen, but what little I have done with that edge I like S30V.
There is a ton of information on the forums, testing, and reviews. A little searching on your part can yield a lot of information. Let's not clog this thread up with things (general commonly available knowledge) that have been already discussed.

There is a ton of information on the forums, testing, and reviews. A little searching on your part can yield a lot of information. Let's not clog this thread up with things (general commonly available knowledge) that have been already discussed.

I thought I was amicable to being blown off when I brought up a real source of concern on a questionable product.

Rather than an insulting rebuff . . . I feel a simple link from. . . you . . . revdev . . . would have been actually helpful.

PS: a one word link would be . . . in fact . . . less "clogging" than this exchange.

I thought I was amicable to being blown off when I brought up a real source of concern on a questionable product.

Rather than an insulting rebuff . . . I feel a simple link from. . . you . . . revdev . . . would have been actually helpful.

PS: a one word link would be . . . in fact . . . less "clogging" than this exchange.
Easy does it Tiger... Don't presume to know my intention, I didn't realize you would find my reply insulting. I could have simply told you to use the search function instead. I believe my reply was written simply enough. Anyway...

The only thing I'm curious to know is if Micah has tried dying any of her knife scales yet. I sent her pictures of the RIT dye mods I've done and she said she was going to have to try it out. I want pictures! :D

Appreciate Benchmade's interest here. Huge fan of Crooked River. My EDC. Have both gray handle and wood handle.

Hey guys,

I will start off by introducing myself. My name Is Jimmy and I am one of the Design Engineers at Benchmade. I will be monitoring and moderating this forum moving forward as well as helping to answer any questions you may have. However, some information regarding new product details may not be confirmed until the product is officially announced.

Hey Jimmy I currently reside in Canada and I'm wondering if you could help me out. I just recently acquired a BM 556 and a north fork. But I would really like to get my hands on some deep carry pocket clips. Would it be possible to get some right through you guys at benchmade?

Thanks.

Hey Josh!!
Have you called customer service in regards to the clips you need??
Not sure about them shipping to Canada, but they have shipped me a bunch of clips here in the US for free.
Worth a call brother!
Joe

Jimmy :
Tell me the real deal here . . . I thought I learned a year or so ago that S30V was one of the few alloy steels to be developed / engineered FOR knife blades. Now I know the S35V was but specifically wasn't S30V ?

I don't have much experience with it; my only example is a safe queen, but what little I have done with that edge I like S30V.

Yes, both S30V and S35VN were developed specifically for the knife industry. In our testing the S30V slightly out performed the S35VN.

In our testing the S30V slightly out performed the S35VN.

In what way(s) did S30V outperform S35VN?

Slightly better toughness and edge retention.

According to Crucible's own data, S35VN & S30V are about equal in Wear Resistance and Corrosion Resistance but the advantage goes to S35VN in Toughness, Chipping Resistance and Ease of Manufacture.

https://www.crucible.com/PDFs\DataSheets2010\dsS35VNrev12010.pdf
https://www.crucible.com/pdfs/SelectorKnifePocketRotatedCrucibleLLC.pdf

Those references show relative ratings, which are useless w/o knowing the hard numbers behind them and the assumptions. Without error bars you can't tell if any of the apparent differences are significant. Classic tool in a marketing brochure.

You need to always verify material performance with your own tests that are relevant to your products. In the brochure's CATRA testing they are equal.

I'd trust the engineers at Benchmade.

Seems like to me that Benchmade gets rid of every single one of their most beloved models. Ritter Grip, AFCK, 710 and Sequel to name a few. I don't know who is making those decisions over there but they need to get their head checked. Honestly it would be like McDonalds discontinuing the Big Mac, Nike getting rid of their Air Jordan line, a completely backwards business decision.

I appreciate you modding here but despite that it's not like Benchmade will listen to their customers saying "we like what you have already don't discontinue." Sure they can make new knives that they think will hit it out the park, but don't discontinue the classics.

Those references show relative ratings, which are useless w/o knowing the hard numbers behind them and the assumptions. Without error bars you can't tell if any of the apparent differences are significant. Classic tool in a marketing brochure.

You need to always verify material performance with your own tests that are relevant to your products. In the brochure's CATRA testing they are equal.

I'd trust the engineers at Benchmade.

They're relative performance but measures based on experience. Crucible is giving relative performance data not marketing talk.

"Substituting niobium carbides for some of the vanadium carbides makes CPM S35VN about 15-20% tougher than CPM S30V without any loss of wear resistance. CPM S35VN’s improved toughness gives it better resistance to edge chipping."

Ritter Grip, AFCK...would be like McDonalds discontinuing the Big Mac, Nike getting rid of their Air Jordan line, a completely backwards business decision.
Agreed. The AFCK was one of my favorite Benchmade models. In fact, ownership of one led me to register on BladeForums to learn more about it. And while I do own a Barrage 583, I have not looked to Benchmade products for years. If anything, the Ritter would be the only model I would consider. But it too is now discontinued.

Slightly better toughness and edge retention [regarding S30V versus S35V].
I am willing to take that at face value as it represents an official statement from Benchmade. But only based on how they specifically treat and process the steel. I am sure the inverse would be true using alternative treatment and processing cycles.

Guys, thanks for the feedback regarding our QC issues. I am passing along this information to the rest of the BKC team. When I first started at BKC over 3 years ago we made a very strong effort to improve our sharpening process, based off customer feedback like this. Our edges were not sharp with very obtuse angles at times and poor cosmetics. I now look at knives from that time period and notice now how far we have come. Although, we can always continue to improve.

Your voice will not go unheard.

On behalf of all of us here on BF.com, "thank you" for coming on board and your willingness to look into the QC issues we are concerned about. We don't want to see Benchmade become a second rate knife producer, like another well known American company that has taken a nose dive. I will not mention the name but it starts with a "G".

By the way, any special reason that the Stryker line was dumped? It was such a classic design. I really hated to see it go.

Cursum, the main reason we haven't done another 943 variant comes down to volume. The 940 sells nearly 5x what the 943 moves so it just hasn't been a priority.
It's boring. At least, that's why I've never bought one. Just another black and satin knife. The g-10 would be good, but something with some color would be even better.

Why not offer deep carry clips under the product configuration section?

Good suggestion. The downside is it would add another set of SKUs for each of our models in addition to the Satin/BK/Serr SKUs, still feasible though.

Welcome to the Forums and honestly it is about damn time we have a company rep.

It is nice having BM an 1 &1/2 drive away.

As far as f&f issues, not a single issue from any BM I have ever purchased.

See you around.

Back