Benchmade551 vs Spyderco Para

Title should have read Para 2.plain edge 154CM vs S30V also,I deciding on a new EDC and narrowed it down to those 2

I've had both in several configurations... still have a bunch of Paras. AFAIC, the steel is pretty much a wash. I like 'em both for an EDC folder. The reason I didn't keep any of the 551s is that they didn't carry as well for me as the Paras do. I like the flatter sides and G10 that Paras have better than the Noryl (FRN) and rounded scales of the 551. Both were light and easy to manipulate and BM's AXIS lock worked perfectly for me every time, just like Spyderco's comp lock. It just came down to personal preference based on ergos and aesthetics. In that kinda situation, I'm usually married to the bug.

Personally, I would go with the para 2. I love the mini grip (556) but didn't like the 551 as much. The mini grip has full liners hat are nested into the handle, the reg. grip has liners that go a bit more than half way through the handle and stop, leaving a bunch of exposed frn. I wouldn't normally have a problem with t but when you close the knife it makes a really annoying and cheap sounding noise which i did not enjoy one bit.

That is of course my opinion, yours may differ.

I have a Grip and a Para 2.

Both good knives, but if I had to choose it would be the Paramilitary 2. Mine definitely gets more pocket time than my Griptilian.

Hard to beat the Spyderco for pure dollar value considering what you get. The ergonomics are also great on the Para 2.

This is just my opinion, others may differ:

Comp lock>Axis
G-10>FRN
S30V>154CM

Other good features of the Para 2 to factor in:

Full flat grind
DLC coating is extremely tough if you want a coated blade
Full nested skeletonized liner
4 way clip
smooth bushing pivot

It's just a better knife for the same price.

thanks for the imput,I'm prolly gonna go with the Para 2 its thinner,better ergo (I'm real picky about that,I had a Manix 2 and hated the choil) and I've always been pleased with Spydy's quality

I ended up selling my mini-grip. It just didn't do it for me - between those two, the PM2 FTW.

i have both as well... the para 2 is great and has become a fan favorite over the past year. its an excellent knife that has earned its reputation. still, i honestly prefer my benchmade 550 over the para 2. i prefer the axis lock over compression lock, its ambidextrous and can be axis flipped open/closed. clip position for most of us will be tip down left or right hand carry which is accomplishes. the "cheap" feel is subjective and doesnt bother me... ive heard more complain about the cheap feeling griptilian over spyderco's frn offerings which baffles me. g10 over valox? flat grind vs. hollow grind? cpm s30v vs. 154cm? if you prefer the former for whatever reason then you may be happier with the para 2 for $30-$40 more (grip: $75-80 vs. para: $110-120). dont get caught up with the hype ;), buy/handle both and decide for yourself which you prefer. its a win win situation no matter what you pick :)

edit: forgot to mention, one thing i love that the para 2 has over the grip... is the choil. love choking up on my blades if possible.

523067_10150645514610458_590860457_9615819_1159320738_n.jpg

Last edited:
okay how about this one for a brain buster. Bm 746 mini onslaught vs para2. I tend to reach for spydercos but the mini onslaught has got me thinking twice. I mean ill get both eventually. but i think a bm 746 is a much better match up than the grips.

chevy vs. ford, crk vs. strider... benchmade grip vs. para 2 lol

i prefer the para 2 over 746. smooth/slippery g10 banana grip has always been a turnoff for me. right hand tip up only and still just 154cm for its $120-130 price tag. beautiful knife, but for utilitarian/edc use it wont beat the para 2 imo (unless you prefer its looks :rolleyes:).

Definitely the Para 2 for me. the onslaughts tips are incredibly thin. I don't normally worry about tip strength but i did with this knife.

Just my two cents...

I had both and preferred the Para 2 so I sold my BM quite awhile ago! To me, hands down its the Para 2 for form, fit and function!

I have a CPM-M4 Ritter Grip and 4 sprint Paras, I like the Ritter (although I did consider trading it at one point), don't really like the hollow plastic feeling handles though.

Why is the comparison with S30V for the Para? Isn't VG10 the standard steel?

While I agree about the annoying "clack" the full-size Grip makes, that can be fixed by filling the scales with something to deaden the noise. Also, if we're comparing sprint run Paras, then you should figure in the Gold Class Grip with CF and M4- one very sweet knife.

Another point to consider- by actual measurement you only get 1/4" more cutting edge on the Para than on a MINI-Grip (I have both) - and it takes up much less room in your pocket (and less $ out of your pocketbook). Granted, the Para is a great knife and there are times the extra size in the handle is nice, but for EDC my MiniGrip has taken pretty good care of me.

I do wonder why the grip and para are always compared when the manix 2 is the closest to the grip, and even the delica/endura get closer on materials and price. I would go with the para, but it commands about a 50% premium in price for a reason.

Why is the comparison with S30V for the Para? Isn't VG10 the standard steel?

While I agree about the annoying "clack" the full-size Grip makes, that can be fixed by filling the scales with something to deaden the noise. Also, if we're comparing sprint run Paras, then you should figure in the Gold Class Grip with CF and M4- one very sweet knife.

Another point to consider- by actual measurement you only get 1/4" more cutting edge on the Para than on a MINI-Grip (I have both) - and it takes up much less room in your pocket (and less $ out of your pocketbook). Granted, the Para is a great knife and there are times the extra size in the handle is nice, but for EDC my MiniGrip has taken pretty good care of me.

The standard Para2 is S30v. I don't think any para has been made in vg10, except for maybe early Para1 models??? But I don't think any were.

Also, taking up "much less room" in your pocket has got to be outright false. the para carries extremely flat in the pocket, which for most people means it takes less. Though it is longer, so for other that length might mean more, but thickness is generally what you feel in pocket.

Both the para and the millie carry like much smaller knives because of their thickness. Yet still have great ergonomics in hand due to handle design.

It's a toss up between the BM and Spydie, of course. both are very similar in specs. It's how they feel in hand, in pocket, and how they perform for your tasks. For me, the PM2 wins hands down. The steel should have about triple the wear resistance for a working edge (in my experience), but be slightly harder to sharpen. I like the feel of spydie's g10 and comp lock. And the handle ergos are second only to the actual Military :p For you, though, the Grip might be better. Both are great.

Para 2 all day. Held a bunch of grips and they just felt cheap to me (same feelin I got when I got my hands on a sog aegis as well)

The standard Para2 is S30v. I don't think any para has been made in vg10, except for maybe early Para1 models??? But I don't think any were.

Also, taking up "much less room" in your pocket has got to be outright false. the para carries extremely flat in the pocket, which for most people means it takes less. Though it is longer, so for other that length might mean more, but thickness is generally what you feel in pocket.

Both the para and the millie carry like much smaller knives because of their thickness. Yet still have great ergonomics in hand due to handle design.

It's a toss up between the BM and Spydie, of course. both are very similar in specs. It's how they feel in hand, in pocket, and how they perform for your tasks. For me, the PM2 wins hands down. The steel should have about triple the wear resistance for a working edge (in my experience), but be slightly harder to sharpen. I like the feel of spydie's g10 and comp lock. And the handle ergos are second only to the actual Military :p For you, though, the Grip might be better. Both are great.

Excuse me? Have you carried both? Because I have and there's no way the MiniGrip doesn't leave me a lot more room in my pocket than the Para does, and in a very useful and easily noticeable way.

I carry in my right front pocket and usually have two sets of keys (house and car) and my change in that pocket. When I carry the MiniGrip, moving the keys out of the way to get at the change is no problem - with the Para it's almost impossible. Just because it's flat how do you think the extra length doesn't take up any more room? Not to mention that it's room down near the bottom of the pocket where most "pocket activity" happens. The Para is also wider making it harder to get past it into my pocket.

So, basically, your statement is easily proven to be "outright false".

Para 2 hands down for me. Have had them both and the para 2 IMO is better in every aspect. Better ergos, steel, F&F, love the compression lock,(axis is no slouch) just prefer the compression lock. i will give the standard answer though just get both, you'll love them both!!

Back