1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Best 4 to 5 inch carry folding knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Ratsmax, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Ratsmax

Ratsmax

Nov 11, 2013
    Hello blade forums. This is my first post here so sorry if something similar has already been posted. I have many many folding knives probably like most of you here but my biggest has a 3 1/4 inch blade on it. I'm looking to get a 4 to 5 inch folding knife however I'm not looking to spend 100 to 200 dollars on one. Id like to go as cheap as possible but my limit would be about 50 dollars. Any suggestions will be appreciated thanks.

2. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Welcome.

Best for what?

3. DedRok

DedRok

Sep 2, 2011
  4. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    ^ what he said

5. Derek the Destroyer

Derek the Destroyer

Jun 12, 2011
    Bm 710

6. Ratsmax

Ratsmax

Nov 11, 2013
    DedRok Thank you so much that knife is exactly what I was looking for I'm probably going to order the XL asap after a little more research on the knife!:)

7. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    Spyderco Szabo.

8. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member Gold Member Platinum Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Mr. Rat said his limit was $50, so that rules out the 710 and Szabo. In keeping with what Mr. Ded opined, I would say that the "best" for just about anything in the 4" - 5" range under $50 or so is the Cold Steel large Voyager. There aren't a lot of decent competitors in the >4" and <$50 category that come to mind, though I bet you guyses will be able to come up with some.

So just file that away for safekeeping, Mr. Rat: large Voyager. It has a lot going for it - hand-filling scales, full flat grind, nice belly and maybe the best lock in the industry.

9. DedRok

DedRok

Sep 2, 2011
    Heres another good option... and possibly even better.

Spyderco Resilience Knife G-10 Folder (4.25" Satin Plain) C142GP

$46.95 & 4.25 inch folding blade

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Resilience--7474

[​IMG]

10. powernoodle

Jul 21, 2004
    Click here for a few pics and a little review.

Dang it, Mr. Ded, the Resilience is another fine option. Should have thought of it myself.

11. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    Oops, didn't see that. For just a little more money, get a CS Spartan.

12. Freman Bloodglaive

Freman Bloodglaive

Apr 14, 2013
    Having both XL and L clip point Voyager I'd have to say that the L is a better EDC knife. The XL is huge.

Both are big sharp cutting tools though.

13. Derek the Destroyer

Derek the Destroyer

Jun 12, 2011
    well in that case, get a spyderco endura via ebay

14. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    +1 on the endura!

15. Ratsmax

Ratsmax

Nov 11, 2013
    Well thanks for all your help guys, I'm probably getting the cold steel voyager XL because i want it big! Charlie did bring up the spartan and that knife looks sweet with only a 5 dollar price difference so i may get that.

16. shortstack

shortstack

Feb 1, 2011
    cold steel spartan

17. Poez

Poez

Jul 5, 2010
    Spyderco Endura. Can get it in ZDP-189 steel full flat ground and still have some money left for something else!

18. powernoodle

Jul 21, 2004
    The Endura is sub 4". What's with you guys? [I know, you love the Endura. I get it. I have about 10 of them too].

19. Derek the Destroyer

Derek the Destroyer

Jun 12, 2011
    If you want big get a CS "rajah II" you can cut down trees with it. Just as long as you don't mind the crappy blade steel that CS uses for their folders.

20. butterflyknives

butterflyknives

Jun 18, 2012
    sog pentagon