1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Best Emerson for EDC?

Discussion in 'Emerson Knives' started by jzzz, Aug 2, 2012.

1. jzzz

jzzz

Aug 2, 2012
    I been looking for an Emerson to edc I think i have it narrowed down to the mini 15 or horseman. Just curious if there is a noticeable size difference between the two.. I like the cqc 15 handle style more but from what I read the girth of the horseman's handle is thinner. any information on the sizes of these two knives would be great thanks

2. CaptinRedBeard

CaptinRedBeard

Dec 3, 2011
    Mini Cqc15 :

Overall Length 8.0 in. Blade Length 3.5 in.

Horseman (Mini Cqc8):

Overall Length: 8.35 in. Blade Length: 3.54 in.

I don't really think you could go wrong with either one. I would just get whichever blade style that you think would work better for your edc cutting tasks. Sorry, I don't have any pics comparing the minis. But here is a full size 8 and 15 (with a Krein Regrind). Hopefully it can give you some idea of the differences.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  3. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    I agree with the 15 or the A100

4. mbjz

mbjz

May 2, 2012
    zt 780

5. RevDevil

Nov 9, 2009
    You take a wrong turn somewhere?

6. dman62

dman62

Sep 27, 2010
    I like the Horseman blade style better for general purpose use. It's also less tactical looking if that makes a difference.

7. mbjz

mbjz

May 2, 2012
    i know what i said...

8. Brandonsc

Brandonsc

Feb 7, 2011
    LOL! Funny.

9. sh00ter01

sh00ter01

Sep 26, 2007
    I'd pick the Horseman on blade sharp alone, but that my personal preference.

-sh00ter

10. RevDevil

Nov 9, 2009
    That is why I asked. No need to get huffy about it. I thought this was the Emerson forum ;)

11. docbp87

docbp87

Mar 20, 2012
    I don't own one, but I think the Mini-15 is probably best (and I plan to get one next) due to the extreme versatility of the blade shape (combining the 7's tanto, and the Commander recurve), with that awesome handle shape. That said, both my 7 and my Mini-Comm are AWESOME for EDC.

12. timberweasel

timberweasel

Jan 5, 2011
    I really dig my Horseman. It's got just the right amount of "Arrrrrrgh, Matey!" :emot-yarr:

[​IMG]

13. sam.t

sam.t

Jan 28, 2010
    I edc my horseman, and love it.

14. nicklovesknives

nicklovesknives

Mar 13, 2007
    I edc my CQC-9's, & it's my favourite Emerson design for me. Love the size, & it does everything i need it to do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers and Regards,
    Nick

15. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong

Feb 17, 2011
    Horseman. I don't really care for anything about the CQC-15 to be honest, but that's just me.

16. timberweasel

timberweasel

Jan 5, 2011
    Here's a size-comparison shot of a Horseman next to some other popular knives, in case anyone's interested...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Left to right & top to bottom: Benchmade 710, Ontario RAT-1, Emerson Horseman, Spyderco Para-Military 2

17. Rotte

Rotte

Aug 30, 2008
    That Krein Regrind is very cool. Cuando dinero? Contact inf0? I've got a Mini-15 aching for that treatment.

18. slight

slight

May 22, 2011
    Am I the only one who thinks that the regrind on that 15 should be the standard grind?

Very nice redbeard

19. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong

Feb 17, 2011
    It is pretty awesome. I don't like the Tanto much for EDC. I do like the 7, but it's not because it's a great EDC. There's just something about it that I can't put my finger on that makes it so I can't keep my fingers off of it. But overall, Tanto blades don't slice as well for me (they slip off of what I'm cutting when I get to the secondary point) and I can't see a recurve fixing that 100%. The regrind does look sweet.