Best manual open knife action?

I don't know about "smooth" that would probably be a Chris Reeves (I don't have).
Of the ones I do have :
  • Gayle Bradley One just comes open like it was on ice.
  • The Cold Steel Ti Lite IV (custom full flat ground); takes some thumb force; not too much but then fires like a bullet. THCLACK ! ! ! Draws some attention though.
  • Benchmade 710 M390 just opens so nice and quite and mater of factly. Just no big todo or attention attracting clack . . . just opens fast and quiet and plenty easily enough.

The latter two may be longer blades than you like ~4".
I actually have two Ti Lite IVs and I cut one down to be more legal / sheeple friendly and it's a more precise knife in use than the longer one in the bargain. Really LOVE 'em both !

Any Axis lock, hands down. That said, I love my Sebbie (Rollls Royce action), Tri-Ads (once broken in), Emerson and my various Buck 110/112s (OK, two hands, but no problem in real life).

For me I would say that Benchmade and my old PM2 were very solid choices but.. Going to have to go with my ZT 0630. It felt like it was on glass. I could disengage the lock and it was a race to get my thumb out of the way so it wouldn't get me. Needless to say I wasn't always the fastest.

My gb2 is the most comfortable. My sebenzas would be next but the thumb studs truly suck on them they are to pointy. The only reason I say second is how smooth they are. Third my BM grip just fast and stout.

I haven't tried most of the models mentioned, but I plan to some day. I can only vouch for the Spyderco PM2. It's smooth, quiet, fast and easy. I really like it.

Spyderco02c_zpsba113904.jpg

The first one hand opening knife I ever saw (and bought immediately) was the Buck 175 Lightning Series HTA II. Still one of my favorites. Along with that a more recent Buck, the 722 Spitfire. These are both pleasant one hand opening knives.

Buck%2B175-722_zpspndfjduj.jpg

It's on bearings but opens with thumb stud only. the ckf sukhoi 2.0
None of the knives mentioned are as good. But as I said it's on mrbs.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWtssDngTpT/

When someone says manual open, via thumb stud, are washers a given? Or does it matter?

My Southern Grind Spider Monkey with the copper handle feels a lot like a Sebenza only it takes far less thumb pressure to open. A simple thumb flick with no wrist and it flies open with a hydraulic feel.

Oddly enough, for me it's always been my old gerber air ranger. The detent is so perfect that when I push on the thumb stud it snaps open like its assisted.

My Southard Tolk is quite fast and smooth on bearings.
But I enjoy slow opening Umnumzaan and MacWasil custom and the feeling of their fluidic smoothness a lot better.

Why isn't a flipper considered to be manual? Is it due to the bearings in which case a washer based flipper would be ok? Or does the detent make it non manual?

In my collection:

Smoothest = Spyderco Resilience. The heavy blade flies out like butter once the extent is broken. Smooth slow opening if you so desire as well.

Hardest firing = Cold Steel To Lite 4. The detent is so strong but once you build enough pressure to overcome it, the blade slams open even if you try not to.

Last edited:
Why isn't a flipper considered to be manual? Is it due to the bearings in which case a washer based flipper would be ok? Or does the detent make it non manual?
i assume a flipper isnt manual because you can only flip them out? where as a manual you can use the thumb stud to slowly or quickly release the blade.?

i assume a flipper isnt manual because you can only flip them out? where as a manual you can use the thumb stud to slowly or quickly release the blade.?
Just tried flipping out a blade slowly. You have a point! :)

My take - just the parameters of the OP's ?. He just didn't want flippers included in the answers.

I don't know about "smooth" that would probably be a Chris Reeves (I don't have).
Of the ones I do have :
  • Gayle Bradley One just comes open like it was on ice.
  • The Cold Steel Ti Lite IV (custom full flat ground); takes some thumb force; not too much but then fires like a bullet. THCLACK ! ! ! Draws some attention though.
  • Benchmade 710 M390 just opens so nice and quite and mater of factly. Just no big todo or attention attracting clack . . . just opens fast and quiet and plenty easily enough.

The latter two may be longer blades than you like ~4".
I actually have two Ti Lite IVs and I cut one down to be more legal / sheeple friendly and it's a more precise knife in use than the longer one in the bargain. Really LOVE 'em both !

my Ti-Lite VI is the smoothest one, more than my more expensive folders.
It must be the blade's shape, length and weight but it feels as a vaseline coated glass on an ice rink

Yxskb3P.jpg

I honestly havent had the same experience most on here have had with sebenzas. I found them OK but nothing great. A fast flick opening was decent about on par with a techno. I think my dragonfly salt knives are smoother than any sebenza I have owned.

Back