1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Best mineral oil for carbon knives?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by RedLynx, Jul 9, 2012.

1. RedLynx

RedLynx Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Hi guys,

Like the title says, just wondering what is your preferred mineral oil for care of your carbon steel blades? I don't really use mine for food prep but I suppose on occasion I might if I have one on me and need to, so maybe something quality and food safe is a good option. Thanks guys!

2. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Mar 4, 2006
    I just use the USP grade available in the pharmacy section of most places. Works fine for me, it is inexpensive and a bottle will last along time. I have heard of people using lip balm to protect their blades because it is mainly a mixture of wax and mineral oil.

Ric

3. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Yeah just get a big ol' food grade bottle at the pharmacy. It's usually in the laxatives section. Shouldn't cost you more than $5 and will last you for years.

4. parbajtor

parbajtor

Nov 24, 2010
    I use sunflower oil on kitchen knives and chopping boards
    and choji oil on everything else

5. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    All choji oil is is mineral oil with a little oil of clove added, for those not already in the know.

6. RedLynx

RedLynx Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Guys, thanks very much for the quick and helpful replies! :)

7. David Martin

David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Mineral oil doesn't seem to stop discoloration on 01 blades, it slows it. There is also a distasteful after taste nonstainless steels inpart to foods. I don't know if much that helps this other than changing steels. DM