1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Best Multi-Tool Under $36?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JohnnyLightOn, Apr 25, 2003.

1. JohnnyLightOn

JohnnyLightOn

May 3, 2001
    Hi All,

A friend wants to give multi-tools to his wedding groomsmen as their gift. He has six groomsmen, so he needs to keep the cost of the gifts down. I suggested various SAKs, and also the close-out Spyderco aluminum Navigator at $30 from SMKW, and an Inova X5T flashlight at $40. But he wants to give a multi-tool.

Here are some I found that fit his price range:

Gerber Compact Sport ($37)
    SOG Crossgrip ($26)
    SOG Crosscut ($26)
    Leatherman Side Clip ($33)
    Leatherman Squirt (P4 or S4) ($30)

Which one of these offers the best quality and also makes it seem like he's giving something substantial? Did I miss any?

Thanks for your opinions!

Johnny

2. Manowar

Manowar

Mar 12, 2003
    Hi!

I would suggest you to buy the Leatherman Side clip.In my opininon Leatherman makes the best multitools on the market.They have a twenty five year guarantee also. The clip makes it easy to have it as an every day carry tool. You can also compatible it with a tool adapter(but you have to buy that separatly)if you want´s a more versatile tool.

Manowar

3. johnniet

johnniet

Jul 12, 1999
    Some of the BearJaws tools are also about $35. They have tool access from outside (don't have to open the pliers).

If he can go up to $42 or so then some of the Juices (at least C2 red and S2 orange) are also in line. I think they would make nicer presents than the Squirts or Crosscuts (I think Crosscuts are awesome, but not for a groomsman gift).

Going just over $40 would also bring in the SOG Pocket (not regular)Power Plier and maybe the mini-Buck.

Tell one of our dealers what you're doing and see if they give you a bulk/romance discount. :)

4. bquinlan

bquinlan

Jan 5, 2001
    I would recommend the SOG CrossGrip or CrossCut. I've used all the "mini" tools and found those to be by far the most capable. The best of the full-sized multis go above his range, so why not give the best mini instead?

--Bob Q

5. roloss_valdes

roloss_valdes

Aug 21, 2002
    Leatherman SideClip, it is so easy to carry and has the basic tools that all people need .... :D

roloss_valdes

6. fulloflead

fulloflead

May 3, 2002
    I just bought a Juice CS4 for $36 shipped on Ebay. I'm sure a dealer on there would be happy to sell you several.

7. pahl

pahl

Feb 23, 2002
    Leatherman Side Clip or the Squirt get my vote.
    I don't have one of the squirts yet, but they look really cool.
    I have a Leatherman micra that I use all the time.

Any Leatherman would be a great choice.

8. JohnnyLightOn

JohnnyLightOn

May 3, 2001
    Thanks a lot everyone - these are all great suggestions.

I'll print him out pictures and he can choose one.

Johnny

9. ExamonLyf

ExamonLyf

Dec 22, 2000
    Another Leatherman Side-Clip vote :).., nice little tool!