1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Best one-hand lockback knife?

Discussion in 'Blade Discussion Forum Archive' started by Halberd, Oct 8, 2000.

1. Halberd

Halberd

Oct 3, 2000
    Since the appearance of the liner lock, lockback knives have lost much of their popularity. Many manufacturers use that locking mechanism only on their economical models. But lockbacks do have advantages, that make them a good choice for certain applications and situations. For instance, lockback knives are robust and work well in dirty environments (mud, etc.). Hence my interest in high quality (not economical) lockbacks, and hence my question to all of you: "What are the best production lockback knives with one-hand opening and clip?"

2. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Production lockback = Go with Spyderco.

For the record I like the lock back format, and I am not sure where they acquired the reputation for weak lock strength. Probably, 99% of the folders used in this country in trade and craft are either lockback Buck 110 (or similar) and traditional slipjoints. If knives that are used hard work well in this format then what's the problem?

3. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    BTW welcome to the forums. We are glad you joined in.

4. Hoodoo

Hoodoo

Aug 18, 1999
    Spydie Navigator.

------------------
    Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
    JKM

5. Roller

Roller

Jun 4, 2000
    Spyderco Worker

6. Santi

Santi

Sep 12, 2000
    CS 5" Gunsite

7. Mykl Clark

Mykl Clark Banned by Moderators

Feb 19, 2000
    Sydie Endura II all the way.

------------------
    Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

8. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    Spyderco Native, Micarta Calypso Jr, Carbon Fiber Dragonfly, Rookie........

So many to choose from.

------------------
    "All is well. And all will be well - in the garden." Chance the Gardener

9. DANGELO

DANGELO

Oct 20, 1999
    I have a Delica and a Gunsite. They are both awesome, and they both NVR failed. Give them a try, they wont let you down.

Steve

10. I agree with other posters that Spyderco has the best line of lockbacks out there although Cold Steel Voyagers are very solid also as is Moki (a Spyderco distributed brand). My favorite Spyderco lockback is the Native in 440V but all the others are just as good. I understand that the new Chinook has been tested as the strongest lockback ever made by Spyderco.

11. Paul Work

Paul Work

Jun 21, 2000
    Spyderco Native

Paul

12. Chang

Chang

Oct 9, 1998
    Spyderco Civilian! Too bad I can't afford one.

------------------
    Chang the Asian Janitorial Apparatus

13. Ferret

Ferret

Jan 20, 2000
    Spyderco Police kickstarted my knife knuttiness. The Civilian that I got last week has the smoothest action lockback I've handled, mebbe indicating the Spyderco has absolutely perfected the mechanism [​IMG]