1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Best Sharpening System for under 100?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by celticpride2133, Jul 16, 2012.

1. celticpride2133

celticpride2133

Jan 30, 2012
    I'm looking for a sharpening system that is under 100 and works well! thanks

2. Dunny153

Dunny153

Sep 22, 2011
    Spyderco Sharpmaker all the way!

3. mantzao

mantzao

Jun 16, 2011
    [video=youtube;GOxPjpztXwI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOxPjpztXwI&feature=plcp[/video]

alaways worked great for me :)

4. Tylerxp

Tylerxp

Jul 10, 2012
    I've been using the spyderco sharpmaker with great results. It has settings for the factory angles of my main users (30 and 40 degrees). I think I paid around $50 for it.

5. newknife

newknife

Jul 6, 2008
    I have a sharpmaker, but I've never warmed up to it. I certainly don't get the results from it that I hear others getting.

6. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Sharpmaker, paper wheels, belt sander. All have their place.

7. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    A traditional dual grit bench stone, your two hands, and practice practice practice! :D But the Sharpmaker is a very good system if your looking for that sort. :)

8. Franciscomv

Franciscomv

Feb 7, 2005
    Spyderco ceramic stones, wet/dry sandpaper in different grits, leather strop and polishing compound. Practice a lot.

I've gone through many sharpening gadgets, nothing is as versatile as freehand sharpening. I camp, hunt and hike a lot, most sharpening jigs are just too big and heavy to carry in the field, I just pack a strop and some sandpaper (sometimes a small diamond stone) and I'm all set.

9. 23xdm3.8

23xdm3.8

Apr 18, 2011
    Dmt aligner gets my vote. You wouldn't think so but I get these types of results every single time, with any steel, whittles hair effortlessly, and even bevels on both sides
    [​IMG]

10. newknife

newknife

Jul 6, 2008
    Is there a model that you recommend?

11. newknife

newknife

Jul 6, 2008
    double post

12. mkjellgren

mkjellgren

Nov 1, 2005
    +1000

13. Outdoors Fanatic

Outdoors Fanatic

Sep 6, 2007
    DMT Deluxe Aligner Kit, hands down. Or Sharpmaker for quick touch ups (not good for dull blades or reprofiling jobs).

14. Outdoors Fanatic

Outdoors Fanatic

Sep 6, 2007
  15. Manix2

Manix2

Jul 10, 2012
    Wow dude, I had never even heard of that system. That seems like one hell of a value, I'll definitely pick one up! Thanks for the recommendation, 23xdm3.8.

16. Outdoors Fanatic

Outdoors Fanatic

Sep 6, 2007
    Make sure you get the one with all 4 stones. (and buy the extra extra fine that i've linked in my post above. It makes a huge difference)

cheers!

17. wdtorque

wdtorque

May 29, 2010
    Impressive. I just ordered one today What is your final stone/grit to get such a polished edge?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  18. .Keens

.Keens

Sep 4, 2011
    I'd like to see a demonstration video... looks like a great alternative to an edgepro. I can't get anything like that on a sharpmaker.

19. Urban Dweller

Urban Dweller

Jun 5, 2012
    That's a beaut!! Love how you brushed the blade and pivot bolt, looks like the liners too! How about a full pic of that beast it looks sweet, not to mention that awesome mirrored edge you attained...

20. A.Dragg

A.Dragg

May 29, 2012
    +1. Sorry to bug you with this, I was actually going to PM you, but I'd love to see some more pics of this knife because I've actually been wanting to pick up a Blem ZT 0300 and do this to the blade and pivot and possibly do some other sorts of mods on it. Make it a project knife. This makes me want to do it even more :)

As for the sharpening system, I'd try to find a well priced used Edge Pro Apex and just spring a little more cash if needed. I started out with this same type of question and ultimately I ended up with about a $400 Wicked Edge system setup LOL :)