1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Best USA Made Axe?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by TAH, Oct 27, 2009.

1. TAH

TAH Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2001
    Who makes the best USA made production axe?

Thanks! :thumbup:

2. defaultuser

defaultuser

May 3, 2006
  3. tlong

tlong

Jan 24, 2009
    Saw some Stihl axes at Ace that looked great. But not US I guess Doh.

4. Blue Sky

Blue Sky Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2002
    I'm not sure Snow & Nealley axes qualify for "made in the USA" anymore. I think the heads are imported, then finish ground and hafted here. This change occurred after the company was sold not too long ago. And unless I missed it, their site does not say "made in the USA" anywhere either, for what that's worth. They're still nice axes though, from what I've seen.

The only ones made in USA that I know of for sure are Estwing. Decent, hardworking tools, I like them.

5. sidecutter

sidecutter

Nov 28, 2008
    i bot an old PLUMB axe at the flea market several years ago. done everything i asked of it. dont hear too much about the plumb axe/ hatchets around here. wonder why ???? :confused: paul

6. rifon2

rifon2

Oct 9, 2005
    Are Estwing axes made in the USA?

They seem to be very solid.

7. JD Spydo

JD Spydo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2004
    I think Estwing is still made in the USA. A geologist's pick I got from them was made in the USA and that was a couple of years ago.

I think that Vaughn and Bushnell is still made in the USA as well. I was really heartbroken when I discovered that Collins no longer made axes here in the USA :(

Collins mauls use to be the very best available. Their USA made axes were very nice. I think someone told me that Barco were still made here in the USA but I'm not 100% sure.

8. jurisprudence

jurisprudence

Jul 17, 2009
    Council Tool axes are made in the US and reasonably priced.

9. mrappraisit

mrappraisit

Oct 25, 2007
    If you would count assembled in the US then lovingly modded by a knife/axe knut who was made in the USA then I say go for a Snow and Neally from Brian Andrews at Off The Map Outfitters. I think Vaughn is made in the USA and you can get them cheap through Amazon, but I dont know if the quality is that great.

10. TAH

TAH Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2001
    Thanks for all the suggestions. The Off The Map Outfitters modified axe is very well done! :thumbup:

11. tltt

tltt

May 1, 2008
  12. moblues

moblues

Jan 20, 2007
    Thanks for the pointer to Council Tool!

13. omniviking

omniviking

Feb 9, 2008
    Rockford Ill.

14. littleknife

littleknife

Nov 29, 2000

The Barco hatchets I heve seen in hardware stores were imported.

15. cgover

cgover

Sep 20, 2008
    I recently bought a Plumb hatchet, thinking they were still US made, but it had a Taiwan sticker on it. If Blue Sky is right, that Snow and Nealey heads are imported, then Council in NC may be the only US maker other than Estwing. Very sad, but I have been turning toward Sweden and Finland for cutlery of all types lately.

16. RWC 1988

RWC 1988

Apr 6, 2009
    I found a ax marked Mann Lewistown PA, it is a big one 5 3/4 lbs 9 in long. do not know a lot about Mann company but this seems like a first class ax.

17. cj65

cj65 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2008
    True Temper is a neat old name. I am sure extinct however, but I have a couple I am re handling.

18. mollyhatchet

mollyhatchet

Jun 15, 2009
    Blue Sky is right, Snow and Nealley heads are imported. Gemplers has a Corona ax listed as made in USA. Anyone know anything about the Corona?

19. DWK2

DWK2

Nov 3, 2003
    The top Corona professional saws are very good (not quite a Silky, but very good). I haven't tried their axes.

Council Tool was featured in one of those Modern Marvels shows on History Channel ("Axes"). They showed the entire manufacturing process and quality control checks. I've never used one of their axes but I was pretty favorably impressed with their manufacturing process.

DancesWithKnives

20. Blue Sky

Blue Sky Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2002
    One thing about Council Tool axes that makes me wonder is that their website states they are heat treated to 45-55 Rc. Seems like quite a broad range of allowable hardness, too broad I think.